Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Fox`s agian

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fox`s agian
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:43 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all,
On Friday I had a gut feeling that something wasn`t right because I
woke and the chickens weren`t cackling away as usual. any way got out of bed had something to eat and went out to the chook pen and found a huge hole underneath my 3feet deep chicken wire and the fox`s took every single last one except for the hen with chicks. anyway the following I set up a trap with one of the roosters I killed the day before and no luck at the moment.
Can anyone give advise on how I can re-enforce my fencing, so I stop the slimy little rats.

Post subject: Re: Fox`s agian
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

So sorry to read this Doug - so many of us have been thru this and know how gut wrentching it feels.

I now have 'reo' or chain link on the ground, out from the fence both inside and outside in the pens where chooks can range overnight, so that a fox would have to make a long tunnel before they could surface. At my place' hard, rocky ground helps.

Make sure that your remaining hen and chicks are REALLY secure as the fox will be back. One of mine lost 1/2 a wing (including bone) and I can only guess that she was flapping at a fox to protect her chicks and was grabbed thru the wire.

Last edited by sue55 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:20 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

That's a shame Doug.You were very unlucky to strike such a determined fox
Who was the bright spark who decided it would be nice if Australia had some foxes.
If the fence is otherwise secure maybe a stand off electric fence hot wire would suit. I put mine about 30cm out from the fence and 20cm above ground level.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:43 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We got 10 of them last night - they're not that smart !
Buy a gun !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:23 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Excellent wallan, that's 10 less of the mongrels to kill chooks and natives :mmaad :thumbs: :thumbs: :nuts . Unfortunately for many living in the burbs a gun is out of the question.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:40 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Gun works for me .Electric fencing tough wire not chicken wire and basically hope for the best.Try something else in the trap dog food etc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:43 am 
Great Game
Great Game

It's that time of year: don't know if everywhere, but here in central Vic they're raising cubs and seeking training food to take home. Chooks are perfect for them.

I am so piffed off, have been saying for a year (to the day) "have not seen a fox since getting the alpacas". Last night the alpacas slept on the job and a fox took a loose paling off a chook pen, clever boy, the wood is shrinking in the heat and the fixings must have loosened enough for a jaw grip. It took seven from the mixed pen: a good young copper Marans boy, three d'Uccle hens and three of my great little Pekin/bantam Wyandotte cross hens.

Amazingly, it was not far from the little orchard where nineteen ducks were sleeping out and could have been picked up but obviously overlooked (or too close to alpacas). And luckily none of the white Araucanas or any of the other thirty or so birds in other pens were involved.

So after one blissful year of not losing sleep and not losing birds - back to the Fort Knox mentality.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:31 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We can thank the British upper class twits for thinking it would be more like home if there we rabbits & foxes to hunt & blackberries to eat.

Glad you took 10 out Wallan. Sadly not an option for me due to proximity of livestock & neighbours.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:27 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I think we'd all like to have harsh words with the idiot(s) who brought them here. They have a lot to answer for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Bungie wrote:
Sadly not an option for me due to proximity of livestock & neighbours.

Your local council should have a list of licenced vermin removal operators who would be more than happy to do the job.
There are more ways than just shotting to get them. They get hungry afterall & cage traps correctly set are a good way.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I set up a fox trap the other day and got a rooster(dead of couse) from on of dads mates
but no luck as of yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:45 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The problem with traps is that the fox only has to get a fright by one once, and it won't go near one again. I have learnt with my cage traps to check carefully that nothing (stick, stone, clump of grass, bump on the ground etc) can prevent the door from properly closing and locking. The slightest gap and the fox will escape. I've had a trap left bent, bloody and empty. That fox will never go near another trap.
Another mistake that I have made is to forget to set the locking bar. Fox goes in, door falls closed with a bang, fox pushes it open and escapes - will never enter a trap again

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:19 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Dont do what someone near us did. Caught the fox in a trap without any dramas but then went down to finish it with his shot gun and ended up doing real damage to the trap with the blast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:42 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

This morning 1.00am Rheneas the dog going spare in the house. Could not hear alpaca warnings or chook or duck squawks. Still, thought I'd better get up and go for a walk with the torch. Two nasty big feral by night/neighbour's farm cats by day, trying to find a way into the chicken/grower pen. Alpacas not concerned "We only do foxes, we're in the union". Thanks gang, will read the contract again. So maybe the loss a few weeks ago is down to cats not foxes: I did think it was strange that only half the birds in the pen were taken, a fox isn't usually that careless. Cat trap goes out tonight, sorry farmer, not getting into a fight about cats kept for the hay-mice. Buy a mouse trap.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:06 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have found that feral cats are fairly easy to trap unlike foxes. Canned pilchards seem to be a good bait.