Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Fox attack - one survivor what should I do?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:31 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone - this is my first post here and it is a sad one.
Two out of our three beloved ducks (silver appleyards) got snatched by a fox this morning. I've checked the survivor and she seems to have escaped unscathed, but she is in shock . She's usually very vocal and bold and doesn't like being handled at all, but she's gone completely silent, is letting me pick her up and sticking very close, she's also twitching her wings constantly. I'm not sure what to do - will she be ok as a solo duck for a while or should I rehome her so she can be in a flock again? Should I keep her indoors for a few nights?
We are moving house in a couple of weeks and we were going to take all the ducks with us but now I think it might be kinder and less stressful to rehome her - we could find her some new pals but not until we move.
Any advice appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:25 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

So sorry you lost your ducks - it's an awful thing to experience.

Your surviving duck may have been bitten, and it may be almost impossible to find the bite marks. So keep a close eye on her and if she deteriorates she will need a vet visit and maybe some prescription antibiotics.

The wing twitching is a stress reaction.

Keep her inside, and make sure she is drinking enough. Is she eating and drinking at all?

It is best not to attempt to re-home her until she recovers to some degree from this attack. The stress of relocating her would be significant and too much at this time. Keep her and get a new duck or two when you move to your new place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:40 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Shock is a major issue for prey species. They go into shock very easily and it is natures way of letting them escape the pain of being torn apart alive. It protects them.

However, in your case, its a liability as she may well die from shock. What you need to do is place her in a warm dark place and hope the shock will pass. Leave water and food for her but do not try to force feed her. Image if you were in a car accident and hurt then somebody comes up and tries to feed you a hamburger. It would be the last thing you want and its the same for her. So just leave her alone in a darkened box/room etc and warm. Check her occasionally but no constantly. It should pass if it is going to too.

This shock is not an emotional thing, it is very a physical thing and I am suspicious she has been in the fox's mouth and is injured as well. If the shock does pass then infection is the next major thing. Foxes have long slender teeth and a mouth full of bacteria. Any infection will be deep into the tissues so it will need sophisticated antibiotics from a vet. The fist signs of an infection would be bad smells coming from her.

Sorry for being blunt but its best you know the sequences of possible happenings.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:01 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you for this advice, i really appreciate it. don't think she has been bitten, I have checked her all over and there is no sign of anything. She is now drinking and eating and has rediscovered her quack. The big difference is that she wants to be in contact with me all the time: she is usually very aloof with people, she must be missing her buddies.
Her wings are still twitching. I will keep her inside for a few days and keep an eye for any hidden bites and infections.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:49 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Glad she is eating and drinking. Definitely keep her inside for at least a few days.

You are familiar to her, and so are providing her with some security and company. That's good. Another reason not to try to rehome her to a totally unfamiliar place.

Hope everything goes well with her and with your move to a new home.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:54 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

TraceyUK wrote:
. I will keep her inside for a few days and keep an eye for any hidden bites and infections.

Yes - that would good. Bites are always hard to find as the fox teeth are slender. If you do get a whiff of an odour dont delay getting to a vet as the infection would compound very quickly.

Mike