Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Missing Hen Found , With Chick and Rotten Eggs...the Smell !

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:27 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Oh Boy ....that is a stink im NEVER going to forget :o ...the contents were green , and coating all the other eggs and 1 of the chicks..its soaked into the pores of my skin , ive scrubbed my hands several times now , and i can STILL smell it :aaargh: Gross.
Here is the story....
Iv'e had a hen missing for about 2 weeks , assumed a python got her whilst out free ranging ; till this afternoon, i happened to be home awaiting an electrician to fix some power points, i was strolling around the property and heard the cheeping of a newly hatched chick from somewhere underneath dense rainforest undergrowth.
Followed the cheeping, found the nest , lifted the hen off , must have been around 25 eggs , several had exploded , drenching one of the 2 chicks that had made it out. Poor little thing , didnt make it.
Ive now moved the hen and healthy chick to a brooder box, gave the hen a quick wipe down - her underneath was coated in the horrid stinky goop (the smell has soaked into my hands...just lovely!) ..Oh the joys of hidden egg stashes....
If anyone has any quick effective remedies removing rotten egg stink ide be most appreciative :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:37 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Oh my goodness Angel I do know that smell too!

As for getting rid of it, Glen 22 is supposed to neutralize bad smells when sprayed on the offending place.

The sap/milk of cut potato removes the smell of onion from your hands so you could try that first.

Then again maybe a cut onion might work too! :D

Poor little chicky! I think mum needs bathing in a vinegar or shampoo warm bath followed by a dunk in another warm bath with some conditioner in it.

If nothing else she'll have another smell that might help mask that disgusting odour! ;)

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Try a paste of bicarb soda and water. If I have chicks inside for an extended time I put an old sock with bicarb in the brooder.It does help deodorize things a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:58 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Haha ... know that smell.

I don't think anything completely removes it except time. I've had some success with scrubbing my hands with salt and lemon juice. Then moisturize - a lot!

Bicarb sounds like a good idea too.

Even when it's gone I think your brain remembers the smell if you think about it. It's a bad memory.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:26 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Thanks Guys,

I scrubbed with both lemon juice and bicarb; ive also put some bicarb (in a sock - thanks Sue for that idea) into the brooder box. Quite amazed at the pervasiveness of it , first time ive had really rotten eggs, think they must have been developing and stopped :-)

Going to give the brooder box a spray of Glen20 today as well, though i dont want to disturb the hen too much now she is settling with her lone chick , which im amazed at as well , after all the commotion of yesterday. Odds are it will be a cockerel :laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:01 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

For fishy and onion hand stink I will pour vinegar all over my hands then shake off the excess and let evaporate. It tends to work for anything except super-strong garlic. It might be worth a try.

For the rotten egg stink that gets stuck up your nose, the last time I had that I actually wiped out my nostrils with eucalyptus oil, lol. It was the only thing that worked!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:40 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Try sniffing coffee beans to clear the smell out of your nose, too.

It's a common thing done inbetween smelling different soaps & perfumes to clear the smell out before sniffing the next one. Soapmakers that sell at markets often have a bowl of coffee beans on the table for that purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:59 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Both good ideas , no coffee beans but i do have Eucalyptus - it is much improved this afternoon though , so that will be a great future reference.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:30 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Poor chooky

"All I Want for Christmas is a COMPLETE MOULT"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:45 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yuck gross! Though I think you'll be surprised how well the hen self cleans over the next couple of weeks.