Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - getting rid of foxes

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: getting rid of foxes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:10 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi all, is there any way to get rid of foxes as I don't have a gun and have no dog to deter him. The fox has poached a couple but hasn't for two weeks as I fox proofed everything but he is still hanging around. Any help will be great, thanks.

Post subject: Re: getting rid of foxes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello Will,

I am not experienced in foxes at all even though I know they are around here. The only other thing to try is possibly a trap. Maybe your local council may be able to help with the hire of one. As to what you do with it when you catch it.............not sure?? I hate the thought of baiting animals (even the ones deemed as pests).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:20 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Foxes are a major problem in Australia and there is a fox per square kilometre in all of mainland Australia. Most foxes are fairly young and they have a fairly short life because of road kill, infectious canine diseases such as distemper, parvo etc. Foxes close to major cities such as where you are have a much better time than foxes in rural areas because of the abundance of food they can obtain easily.

Right at the moment there are lots of new foxes that have left the den in the last month or so. These are fairly inexperienced and looking for easy meals such as a chicken dinner. Most wont survive. An older fox is much more cunning having learnt the lessons of survival and they are much harder to control or stop from taking chooks.

There is no easy solution except to make your pens and enclosures fox proof and be vigilant about making sure pen doors are closed. Although foxes are usually nocturnal a hungry fox will raid during the day so extra care is needed if you know a fox is watching and waiting for you to slip up.

Being in suburbia is a problem because as you have already stated, you cant shoot, bait and trapping is difficult at best. A lot of dogs are not very good chasing off foxes as they soon become used to them being around and whilst they may bark to please their owners, a fox is just another dog to them. Some breeds have real guardian instincts though but often these same dogs are just as keen to get at the chooks as the fox is.

Some people have good success with electric fences around the pens but the real answer is fox proof pens.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:06 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If you do manage to trap a fox and don't have a way to deal with it, call your council/ranger (or if appropriate the Rural Lands Board)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:50 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

also be aware once you get rid of one another will take over the territory so it is an ongoing problem fox proof pens is the only workable option

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:40 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for all your replys, didn't realise they are so hard to deal with mike. hope it is a young one and not an adult feeding its young. everything is fox proof but there are other chooks in nearby properties which makes them hard to move on so I guess I ll have to be careful. I don't let my birds out at all for fear of losing them and wish I could because its so good for them. might ring the rural lands board or council and try and see what they think. thanks sue55.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I lost 14 birds to foxes in Canberra and I believe every chook owner in my suburb got hit the same weekend. It was slaughter not killing for food. The fox came early in the morning to every property. There is no control of urban foxes in terms of trapping, shooting or baiting because of the risk to dogs and humans. So the population is exploding. The only answer is total fox exclusion strategies. Some chooks were taken after being let out from the fox proof run before the owner went to work. So constant vigilance is the only solution. The fox is doing the same vigilance for when you make a mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:06 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I posted this method of building a goanna proof hen house in another thread but it would also suit against foxes.

Mine is the last post in the thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8028973&start=15

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein