Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - snuck in two more

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: snuck in two more
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:20 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My mate is moving and can't take his chooks with him, so I offered to take them.

He had a Hamburg and a Wellsummer.

They've fitted in okay, the Wellsummer being a docile breed is getting picked on a bit, but she'll be right - toughen up.

What won't be right is when my wife finds out I have another two chooks :mmaad , but she'll be right - toughen up (me).

So I now have 2 Australorps, 2 Wellsummers and the Hamburg. I could get away with adding the Wellsummer unnoticed, but I think the Hamburg is gunna stand out like the proverbial.

Happy daze.
:nuts

Post subject: Re: snuck in two more
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:23 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What else could you do Choppy? Your wife may notice when you need to expand the pen!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:19 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I was going to say you could tell her they breed really fast & have fully feathered young or have the ability to clone like some Aussie lizards.
But then I remembered that it is demeaning to women to talk BS like that :P

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:58 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My partner was working away for a week and a friend of mine told me that her back neighbor was getting rid if his 7 bantams. Being the softy that I am I said I will come and look at them. They were in horrible conditions. There were 2 that were identical to my big girls at home, sitting together in the nesting box. I took it as a sign............so I brought them home and may have made a conscious decision to forget to tell my partner. Well............when my partner came home he decided to mow the back lawn while I was at work. When I got home he said "is there anything you have forgotten to tell me?" I said "no...I don't think so". "Nothing at all?" he said. "No" I said. He said "Have your chooks lost weight because I am sure the chooks I saw today were a lot smaller than I remember a week ago and not only that, I am sure that I saw double?" :shoc "Oh.......that" I said. Well I went through the whole story of how the poor small girls came to be in the our back yard. "Please.............please can I keep them?". He said "Do I get a choice?". I said " no...not really".

I am also happy/sad to say that they are the only survivors out of the 7 and they are doing exceptionally well (and I think deep down he has a little soft spot for little Lil Lil). :yess

But he has threatened that the only chooks that are to come to our house from now on are to come with chips and gravy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:46 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The Hamburg is an athletic breed, so I might tell her it flew into our backyard by its own accord.

This is not the first time I have expanded with the necessary "permissions", I also got the kids finches and guinea pigs a little while ago. I think she notices a trend...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:02 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Choppy Taylor wrote:
The Hamburg is an athletic breed, so I might tell her it flew into our backyard by its own accord.

This is not the first time I have expanded with the necessary "permissions", I also got the kids finches and guinea pigs a little while ago. I think she notices a trend...

You and Mr Winglet sound soooooooooo alike.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:49 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I was just thinking Choppy reminded me of someone. :biggrin:
Thank you Winglet. It would have kept me up tonight