Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Need help to integrate new duck

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:help: Any advise would be grateful for this situation. :help:

I have had a new duck (Jezebel) (muscovy) for about 10 weeks now which is about 3 years old to be a companion for my duck (Gertie)who is also about the same age which I have had since a duckling (I had a pair but Mert sadly died about 3 months ago). Jez has been a very timid girl and it has been a very slow process trying to integrate her with Gertie. Gertie has not been the most welcoming to Jez but they seem to like each others company except Gert gives her a good peck every now and then and if Jez goes to eat then Gert will want to eat that pile of food too even though she has her own and will chase Jez away. Slowly but surely Jez seemed to be settling in. The last two nights Jez has not wanted to go into her and Gerts pen. If she does go in Gert stands at the top of the ramp and gives her a major peck to which Jez yelps and runs out of the pen so I managed to catch her and put her in the chook house, hoping she could have her own space and feel comfotable as her old home was full of ducks and chooks together. Tonight when I came home Jez was wondering around in the dark not wanting to go into the house with Gert so 30 minutes of trying to persuade her to go into either the duck or chook house failed. I went to get some help and when I got back she was in the duck house with Gert standing over her giving her a peck. I decided to put Jez in the chook house again but she is terrified when you touch her. I feel that any progress of her settling in has been destroyed by Gert pecking at her and me picking her up and putting her in the other pen.

I am not sure if it is Gert that should be in the chook house not Jez. I feel so sorry for Jez but every thing I read said I should get another duck for Gert. I should mention that Mert and Gert where connected at the hip. They did absolutely everything together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I would put Gert out of her comfort zone and in with the chooks at night until Jez has taken ownership of the duck's bedroom.
Don't put food in piles, scatter it. That way there is no 'yours (mine) and mine'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yeah.......I think that is the way I will have to go. Good advice in regards to the food....scatter it is. Mert and Gert where so use to eating out of bowls. How long do you think Gert should be in the chook house??

Thanks for the quick response Sue55

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:17 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I'd try a week. I agree that putting Gert in the chook house is the way to go.

I've found that some ducks that have been part of a stable pair or trio for a long time can be a bit unwilling to accept a new duck... Still, you did the right thing by getting a new companion. See how it goes after Gert has a stint with the chooks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:39 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Gert is in the chook house (and doesn't mind at all) but Jez is even worse tonight. I have been trying very gently for about 45 minutes to coax her into the duck house but no go. She gets about 1 metre from the door then just will not go in. I have put little lights in so she can see that there is nothing in there because it is pitch dark now. I will check in half an hour.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:16 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just an update on how the girls are going.

Jez has started laying about a week ago........and she is a new girl. She still has the odd time that she is not sure which house to sleep in but her and Gert eat together, walk together, forage together, even swim together. She has no worries exploring the whole yard.....and it's a big yard. She will not eat out of my hand but that's ok. I am so happy that she is happy and Gert seems happy to have a friend again. :duck2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:13 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

great outcome :duck2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Sue55. I thinks it's a brilliant outcome. Thanks for the advice girls. :duckie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I thought I would show you the girls. Gert is the white, Jez is the grey and white.

Attachments:
Gert and Jez.JPG
Gert and Jez.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 1192 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:27 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

That's fantastic - thanks for the lovely update and the great pic :)