Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hermaphrodite, broody and laying Silkie!?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, everyone!

I have a Salmon Faverolle Pullet called "Freaky" because she freaks out at the slightest strange or sudden noise. She will fly around the coop as if being chased. :nuts The others are nearly full grown Silkie pullets who were brought up with her from last season. They might be momentarily startled when she sounds off and goes beserk (she is getting better though, I've noticed) and usually they just give her a peck as she flies past as if to say, "Oh! Shut up!" Lol! :laughing

In this run, I have 7 x Silkie Pullets and 1x Silkie/Polish-X who were all hatched and brought up together with the Araucana. All are getting close to a year old. Maybe approximately 10 months old. All the Silkies have been laying for quite a while now even though it's Winter here in South Australia. Freaky has only started laying a fortnight ago. Her first two were olive coloured eggs and the rest blue/green eggs every 2nd day consistently. Even before she started to lay, Freaky loved to be cuddled though she hated being picked up. Now, that appears to be changing since she started laying as she doesn't seem to mind being picked up as she did before. :woot:

Anyway, there are definitely no Roosters amongst this lot. Most have already gone through their broody stages except for the X (probably never will, being part Polish), and even fostered some Polish chicks with no problems. The Ace Pullet, "Crystal", a White Frizzled Silkie, has been broody at least four times already during the past 10 mths or more. She's not a very good example of Frizzled Silkie as her feathers don't stand up as much as they should but Frizzle nevertheless. Anyway, because Freaky was complaining about something, I swung around just in time to catch Crystal, out of the corner of my eye, attacking Freaky rather aggressively from above as she was pecking her on Freaky's neck or head and jumped off her. :huh? I presumed she had done it that way because Freaky is a 1/3rd larger than she is. Freaky, though the largest, is at the bottom of the pecking order. So, I turned to tell Crystal off and wondered why she had become suddenly so aggressive as I hadn't seen her do that before and, also, what poor Freaky could have done to cause her to react that way? I put it down to Crystal being in a bad mood i.e. a moody broody! Crystal had been trying to hoard any eggs she could in the nesting area. I hadn't been helping as I had been collecting them, of course! :thumbs: When I collect the eggs from a broody hen or pullet, they fluff up and grumble out loud but never peck me.

It wasn't until this morning, after breaking some eggs open for breakfast, I stared in disbelief that one of Freaky's eggs had a ring around the blastodisc! What the .... Hen's feathers!.... How's that possible?! :shoc Then, I remembered seeing Crystal on top of Freaky the day before and realised that she had been holding on to her crest feathers and may not have been attacking her at all!! But she was definitely mounting her! Good grief! :nuts A confused Pullet? Or a Hermaphrodite? Or am I seeing things in this yolk?! The other eggs are from my Wyandotte and Australorp Hens. I'm pretty darn sure that it came from a blue egg! Though, just thought, I have been putting my Splash Australorp, "Happy", to a Splash Blue cockerel, but thus far, she has been thwarting his advances as she is much older than he is. Nup! The two darker ones were from the blue eggs as I was thinking how much darker the yolks were.

Attachment:
2016-08-15_14.39.54[1].jpg
2016-08-15_14.39.54[1].jpg [ 1.83 MiB | Viewed 1908 times ]

See! The one at the top has a circle around it! Doesn't that mean it's fertile or does it have to be stronger than that?

Attachment:
2016-08-15 15.03.11.jpg
2016-08-15 15.03.11.jpg [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 1908 times ]

"Freaky" with her OCD about pecking any visible screw heads that are visible in any wooden item! Definitely a screw loose this one! Lol! Yeah! Corny, I know!! :rofl:

For some reason, the photos keep throwing themselves out of alinement so some of them are below my signature! I tried and tried to correct it and gave up. I've done Multimedia IV Certificate so I have a fairly good idea of what I'm doing. Presumably, it's just a glitch. It doesn't even show in the edit that the last two pics are below the signature.
Two broody Silkie Pullets: "Dos" (One of my two Greys) and "Crystal", the Ace Pullet.

Let me know what you think, guys!
:anichi

Attachments:
2016-08-15 14.43.16.jpg
2016-08-15 14.43.16.jpg [ 2.57 MiB | Viewed 1908 times ]
2016-08-15 14.02.47.jpg
2016-08-15 14.02.47.jpg [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 1908 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:16 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Faveroles eggs should be tinted brown to pinkish not blue/green They should be from the Araucana.
That is definately a fertile egg
Are you sure that Freaky hasn't been practising crowing

When I post pics I have to do them in the reverse order to how I want them to appear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
Faveroles eggs should be tinted brown to pinkish not blue/green They should be from the Araucana.
That is definately a fertile egg
Are you sure that Freaky hasn't been practising crowing OOops! I meant Araucana! That's what Freaky is. Why I said Faverolle, I don't know! I've never had one! Lol! Thought about it though! I suppose it's because she looks a little like a Faverolle! No. She's the only one that could possibly be laying the blue/green eggs. Plus she started squatting as soon as she started laying when I approached her to pick her up. It was Crystal, the broody Silkie, who mounted the Araucana! :shoc

When I post pics I have to do them in the reverse order to how I want them to appear
Thanks for that. Yeah. That makes sense from what happened.But I also had repeats of the same pics so I had a lot of sorting out to do!! :doh

Thanks, Sue55. I think it's a fertile egg too! I'll have to do an experiment and collect a week's worth of Bluey Green eggs and see what happens in the incubator. It'll probably be around four eggs as I know 7-10 days is the max to hold them before incubation. Whoever heard of a broody Silkie hen doing that though! Crazy! Eh! Can you imagine her crazy thinking process (i.e. if they thought the same way we do when a little crazy!) "I'm feeling soo broody! I WANT to sit on eggs all day until they hatch!! But, I want them fertile! I know, I'll mate with the Araucana!" :whist And I thought Freaky was loopy! :rofl: If there are no results from the incubated eggs, then, I'll know that I just got mixed up with the Wyandotte eggs.

If they do produce something, that'll be an interesting mix! I wonder if becoming a Hermaphrodite is genetic? Can you imagine! "Hear yee! Hear yee! Hermaphrodite hen eggs for sale!" :rofl: I'll start a new craze! :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:25 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I doubt you've got an actual hermaphrodite. One of the birds in your pen will be a rooster.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

My vote is the grey/blue Silkie (based on what I see of the head)
Are you sure that Freaky is pure Araucana?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:04 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
My vote is the grey/blue Silkie (based on what I see of the head)
Are you sure that Freaky is pure Araucana?

These Silkies do come from a line where even the females can have nearly as large a comb as the males. I'll certainly recheck them all over and both the Greys. Strange though as the Silkies must be approaching the year old mark by now and nary a crow! Maybe keeping a low profile! Lol!

Re. the Araucana: I can only go by what the breeder told me as I'm not offay with the Araucana breed. I received the fertile eggs from Leah of Hornsby, NSW and also received some fertile Silver Pencilled Wyandotte eggs who turned out really well but weren't friendly enough for me. I sold the SP Wyandottes to another rare Heritage Chicken enthusiast who has been carefully been breeding various ones to their true standards for years. She was delighted to get them as you can't get them here in South Australia. Except two places now! Lol! One North of Adelaide. One South. :thumbs:

andrewschooks wrote:
I doubt you've got an actual hermaphrodite. One of the birds in your pen will be a rooster.

Well, Andrewschooks, I'll let you all know if one is a Rooster. If there is, he's the quietest cockerel I've ever had!! Talk about a low profile!

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:29 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

It is not necessary only the head that we are looking at to determine a male bird by. It is also the Hackle (neck) feathers and saddle feathers. In most roosters these feathers are longer than on a female and have pointed ends.

I wouldn't mind seeing better individual photos of each of the birds, perhaps a side on photo whilst being held by another person. Make the birds the subject not just someone holding a fowl. I am suspicious of another bird.

Hermaphrodites do happen as freaks of nature but are almost never functionally fertile either as a female or a male. I held back from saying never, in case someone googles and finds a report from 1333 A.D. or something

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

chookyinoz wrote:
It is not necessary only the head that we are looking at to determine a male bird by. It is also the Hackle (neck) feathers and saddle feathers. In most roosters these feathers are longer than on a female and have pointed ends.

I wouldn't mind seeing better individual photos of each of the birds, perhaps a side on photo whilst being held by another person. Make the birds the subject not just someone holding a fowl. I am suspicious of another bird.

Hermaphrodites do happen as freaks of nature but are almost never functionally fertile either as a female or a male. I held back from saying never, in case someone googles and finds a report from 1333 A.D. or something

Mike

:rofl: Hi, Mike! You're funny! :rofl:

I've just checked over my Silkie. They're all squatting when I approach and pick them up except for one: one of my Black Silkies. Maybe it's because he (she? Doubtful now!) is the youngest of the lot and, therefore, was slow showing that she might be a he! And also not strong in the ranking position so very quiet. Probably the lowest. When I look at him side on I can just make out some streamers emerging! Only just! About 1/4 to 1/2 inch (around 2cm) protruding out from the curve of the round crest at the back of the neck! His comb is the same size as the ladies so that didn't help. He doesn't hold himself tall like most Cockerals do so that tricked me too! If this one is a male, he is a very shy one! But, of course, as he grows, his confidence will change and so will his manner. If it is this one, well, his hormones are beginning to kick in if he managed to gain enough confidence to mount a pullet! Sneak attack! Probably! :laughing Very sweet natured so, hopefully, he'll be a gentleman rooster!

Hopefully, when he starts his attempts at crowing, if I bring him inside late p.m. and take him out and put him out in the front yard after 9.00a.m., the neighbour (behind me) who normally complains might not know .... for a while. Last time, by doing that, I managed it for 4 yrs before she found out that I had a Rooster!! I'm presuming that if she did hear it she thought it was way in the distance somewhere so didn't worry about it. She hates the fact that I have hens (heard her talking to someone on the other side of the back joining fence) but the Council approved of my setup saying they were quite impressed so she can't do anything about it. I can only try! Admittedly, it's amazing that I got away with it for so long last time! But, I doubt that I'll be able to do it as long as that again!

I'm so looking forward to moving to a Hobby Farm! Can only rent, unfortunately. I'm looking at S-E of Adelaide so if anyone knows of anyone looking for tenants let me know! I don't need very much land. Just enough to breath and enjoy my animals without worrying about the neighbours! My son and his lovely girlfriend are moving to Milang end of this month so I'm hoping to find a place somewhere between Strathalbyn and Milang. I'll start advertising in a couple of months.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this little Black Silkie and see what happens. But, after what you've just told me, Mike, about Hermaphrodites not normally being fertile that kinda puts the kibosh on that suspicion! :thumbs: :morebow I'll let you all know when I'm 100% sure. But, I'm pretty sure this one is the culprit. At the time, I didn't think to take photos of him. I'll try to remember tomorrow. Then, you can see for yourselves.

Night! And thank you, everyone! :th