Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chook sitting

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chook sitting
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi all,

I'm intending on going away for a couple of weeks over xmas. Trouble is we have a small yard that turns into a bit of a hot box in summer & I want to make sure they're ok (ie ice in water, misters on etc) if it gets hot, which is a bit much to ask the neighbours. Has anyone worked out a way to make sure their girls are looked after properly if they dare to holiday?

Post subject: Re: Chook sitting
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:38 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

There are pet-sitting services, like dog-walkers or twice-daily cat feeding, whatever is requested. You get what you pay for, someone doing it as their job has overheads like full insurance etc and charges accordingly but generally extremely trustworthy and reliable. The kid up the road might work for peanuts or nothing but also might forget to feed and water one day or more when it counts.

Most dog walkers will do any pet care requested. Google pet care and your nearest city, there are plenty on line. Lonely Pets used to be very good in Melbourne n suburbs. Smaller non-franchise independents are cheaper, as good, and will water potplants, put out garbage bin, collect mail, again as requested.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:58 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks PC, I'll check them out. i just want to make sure I've got some-one that will check on them on hot afternoons & actually take care of them. The thought of them dying in the heat is just too terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:28 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Do you possibly have a nearby friend or family member you trust who will look after them in exchange for the eggs and a box of chocolates?
I never have trouble finding someone to water and feed my chickens every couple of days when they get to take all the eggs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:32 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

My girls aren't really egg layers (2 have had surgery to remove their bits, one's on an implant, & out of the other 3 the orpington can't really be bothered too much & the bantams are mostly broody). My neighbours would let them in & out, it's just more if the weather gets hot & they need some-one to keep an eye on them & cool them down. It's a bit of an ask over the xmas season I think. No family around either, and close friends mostly heading off at that time, too :(.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Suggestion - programmable timer on garden tap to a soaker hose under the shrubs. Set to come on for 10 minutes every hour each afternoon. Your chooks will soon find the cool spot. Put a couple of water bowls to catch some of the water - topped up and refreshed each time the hose comes on. Under damp vegetation will nearly always be the coolest spot in a yard.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:35 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks Sue, that's a genius idea that I hadn't thought of :)