Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hysteria in a single chicken in my flock

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:09 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I have had a 18 month old chicken that has been a cause of constant agitation in my flock.

Her base state from a very young chick has been constant panic. I would walk into the pen and she would take off in a running flight to behind the coop. I would scatter a handful of scratch mix and she would scream and run away and at the same time I have the rest of the flock peaking at my boots and legs asking for more.

Checking her over on the irregular times at night she would scream and scream and scream and then go completely ridgid while I checked her and then recommence screaming when put back on the roost. The others would cluck a bit during the same process but never went into hysterics.

None of my other chickens displayed this type of behaviour and it was not enjoyable. I noticed that I had a couple of pullets hanging back with her over the past couple of days so it had to stop before the behaviour was passed on to them as 'normal'.

Last night I culled her while drenching the rest of the flock. This morning it's only clucking and a few rooster crows from the pen - not the previous state of agitation that I had sort of become used to and the pullets are back around my feet asking for scratch.

I'm glade I culled her she was completely and utterly nuts. I didn't realise how on edge I had become around her.

a slight whistling sound accompanies the fall of the axe before splitting the wood. startled my girls look at me with fear in their tiny chicken eyes. "It's not for you... yet" I cry and laugh at them like a chook

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:16 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Sounds like she wasn't a happy camper at all!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:26 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

It is weird how one chooks can be so flighty while the rest of the flock are friendly and normal. I ahve had the odd one or two lke that - but not to the extreme you describe. I think you did the best thing you could in the circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:45 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

by "culled" you mean ? ??

we had a screamer - Amelia Erhardt a Silver Sussex. Amelia went to mountain friends and has become the only hen of 6 over 2 years to survive a feral cat onslaught in the 'Nongs (as we call them)

Our friends attribute her survival to her loud erratic vocalisations (which drove me near nuts here in confined circs)

Such noise/nerves can be a useful survival mechanism in the right environment Milo!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:18 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Maybe you will find some clues to her behaviour here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

Last edited by sue55 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:57 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I mean she went the way of an excess rooster.

I suppose flighty is their natural state, but non compos mentis is a bit full on in a domesticated animal

So Sue it was anxiety neuroses not 'hysteria'

She was still all "The sky is falling" every time I went near the pen. There will be people going 'milo, you're a jerk' but the entire flock is so much more relaxed and happier, myself included.

a slight whistling sound accompanies the fall of the axe before splitting the wood. startled my girls look at me with fear in their tiny chicken eyes. "It's not for you... yet" I cry and laugh at them like a chook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:20 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Ah....I often threaten my naughtier/noisier chickens with "going to a farm" culling (oddly - makes no difference) I think there is definitely a nature and nurture aspect to chickens as well as the well documented human influence.

I had three cluckies on eggs this year because one doz is the min and my girls are wee bantams.

Mum no. 1 is Shelley - wyandotte Pekin cross and mum now for the 5 of the 6 years I have had her. Not a 'lap -chook' by any means but seems to recognise that I am a friendly carbon life form - her two Campines (one boy one gal) are v friendly (leap up onto my lap or shoulder at at a moment's notice) and her Plymouth Rock boy - a little more cautious but still does not fear me.

Mum no. 2 is Pip - Gold Birchen Jap Bantam and first time mum at 4 year approx. Always a friendly chook as had her from 6 weeks old (thanks Pam!) and her two Faverolles chicks (1 boy 1 gal) happy to roost on my arm in the sunshine.

Mum no. 3 Bluey - Grey Jap Bantam and never that friendly despite having her from 6-8 weeks old. Nearly always pecked at me on the perch at night if I was Pesteneing or worming birds. Her three chicks happened to be the Ancona's - (likely two boys and one girl) damn should have thought that one through better. They are nervy flighty wary of me just like their mum (who even today at near 3.5 weeks took umbrage at my trying to get her reunited with her chicks in a garden bed via some physical handling and pecked me as they squealed!)

I am guessing any breed remotely related to Leghorns (like Anconas) will be a bit testy and with a testy mum even more so.

Bluey goes off her head at the slightest upset and Pip is very laid back -so given both are Jappies not a breed thing.Maybe it's astrological???!!

Anyways Milo, in terms of "neuroticism" and anxiety I have come to the conclusion that a combo of nature and nurture are at play and we cannot always control both - even though in my headier moments I thought I could (get 'em young, treat 'em good and they will be lovely backyard chooks)

:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:17 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Psycho chicken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnBlst3T7bY