Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Santa luvs chooks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santa luvs chooks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:16 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I had two first world problems.
I'd been buying starter and grower feed at a pallet price but the rats had found it. I buy layer feed in bulk and have sufficient rat proof storage for that but no spare.
We are going away for a few days. The chooks all have treadle feeders and auto water but the ducks and geese were going to be a problem to feed. I know at least some of the mussies can use a treadle feeder. I've caught them red handed but the geese couldn't manage the front flap.

Enter a 4 wheeled sleigh, powered by a reindeer named Diesel and out steps Santa, cleverly disguised as a young man to whom I have been giving some chook assistance. Steps round to the back of his sleigh and lifts the North Pole weather proof canopy and says that "the elves have been having a clean out and can I use....... a large feed storage container and a Chookateria treadle feeder?" :nuts :nuts :nuts
The geese have a week to learn to use a treadle. The top flap should suit them.
Gave my friend some thing to stretch his disability pension (which he hadn't expected) and heaved a sigh of relief.
Sometimes the unexpected happens when you least expect it.

Gotta luv a Santa who does chooks.

Post subject: Re: Santa luvs chooks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Excellent timing Sue :thumbs: .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:54 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Fantastic! One good turns begets another.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:19 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

How nice. So a photo is needed in due course of the geese partaking. Seeing will be believing. I cannot imagine my seven geese working it out, not one of them. I think I love them more than the chooks or ducks: but I can't yet find an ounce of problem solving going on there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:11 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Possum Corner, so far the geese haven't managed to operate the treadle plate on the feeder. On the Chookateria it is very close to the body of the unit. If I leave a small gap (a couple of pegs to stop the lid closing tight), they have figured out how to use their beaks to lift the lid. At some stage,I expect that they may accidentally work the foot mechanism out.
The Mussies were doing the same although I knew some could use the chook's treadles. I have just bought an Elite top opening, treadle feeder. The foot plate on this sits much further out and the ducks are operating that successfully. Waiting now to see if the geese catch on.
The problem with this one is that they only come as 5 kg units, but are cheap enough to buy another if I can't modify the Chooketeria. I have had to screw them onto a heavy base as otherwise they kept getting pulled around. They are now really stable. I have them under cover as if they are open, they are not rain proof.