Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Neighbourhood dogs killing my chooks - what can I do?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I've been doing some reading, one of the dogs was an American pitbull terrier, which from what I can see is a restricted breed and needs special restraints etc. Including a fluorescent collar which it didn't have. I'll ask them about this. Also, I'll try to get it listed as a "dangerous dog" because it attacked another animal, that means there will be further restrictions on how it is kept. Hopefully council will do this, though it might be that same issue of not having video evidence that it killed my chooks.

If all else fails, i've got images of them in my yard on 2 different days, so i'll push for 2 fines.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:00 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:46 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

0ochello0 wrote:
I am looking into a second camera that can use 3G to send you an SMS when it sees something.

Would love an update on that if you find a good one. That could be very useful.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:11 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Quote:
Would love an update on that if you find a good one. That could be very useful.

I've ordered one on eBay, it's being sent from Hong Kong so will take a few weeks to get here, but i'll let you know how it goes.

If the Wifi from your house reaches your chook coop, apparently the Netgear Arlo security camera is good for sending notifications to your phone when it sees something. It's also battery powered so no cords. I haven't tried it so not sure how it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:52 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Have you seen this? The interesting part is that it also includes 'any animal of mixed breed that visibly contains any of the prohibited breeds' and uses the words 'shown a tendency to'

http://www.melbourne-petminders.com.au/ ... og-breeds/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:18 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just spoke to council, she says that it the dog is not a restricted breed, it is just a cross breed and overweight. Odd, when I first spoke to her to report it she said she knew straight away who the dogs were and asked me to google pit bull terrier to confirm that it was that type of dog, which it looked to be from my photos.

Quote:
Have you seen this? The interesting part is that it also includes 'any animal of mixed breed that visibly contains any of the prohibited breeds' and uses the words 'shown a tendency to'
Frustrating that I again have no way to prove it :-(

Also, it looks like we can only get the infringement for one day that the dogs were in my yard, not both. My second lot of images is only the dogs body, there is a video of it but its whole body only pops into frame for a brief moment. I'm going to push her on this because it is pretty obvious it is the same dog.

She has spoken to the owners, there was an obvious hole in their fence that she tells me they have now fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Typical council, i bet if you have a roo and a neighbour complains they will be there quick smart to fine you. I had to remove 2 of my dogs for barking at the neighbours behind , this is only when they played loud music which upset the dogs. Had one month to stop the dogs barking or face a 3300 dollar fine everytime the neighbours complain. Apparently its ok to play loud music every weekend and several nights a week , but its not ok for a dog to bark at it.. when we were in Noosa one of my other neighbours jumped their fence and threatened to destroy the radio if it wasn't turned off, as is keeping their grandchild awake.seems the neighbours behind are starting to get under plenty of peoples skins.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:58 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Yes that is odd about the council person changeing her tune on the dog breed.I would suggest sending your footage/photo to a vet or expert dog breeder to get an opinion..Once they identify the breed, if they confirm it is a pit bull cross I would present that information back to council informally, but notifying them of your intent to challenge their identification formally if they do not revise their identification and fine the owners.
Do you know yourself where the dogs live?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

mycoola wrote:
I had to remove 2 of my dogs for barking at the neighbours behind ...

I had to read this twice to stop laughing!

On a more serious note, I do hope you all get your dog related problems sorted out, they sound horrible. I have to say your councils seem to have a lot more power than ours do in the UK about fining for noise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:10 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

TookTook wrote:
.... Do you know yourself where the dogs live?

I wouldn't be following up on that even if I knew. Because very shortly they would know where you live. And I would not want thugs who enjoy owning dogs free to wander and kill knowing where to come knocking if the Council take any action. Seriously.

Recall the case in Doncaster Vic when a young woman working in the Council Pound kennels was pistol-whipped and bashed by the owners of a square-headed dog coming to retrieve their impounded dog. (Then she had to fight to get any compensation as I remember, which is irrelevant here).

But like Mycoola said, if a rooster crows Council are there to demand its immediate disposal, chook owners are a soft target for them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Quote:
I wouldn't be following up on that even if I knew
No I don't intend to hassle them directly, I just want to annoy them with a few council fines and at least put them on the council radar again. The council ranger accidentally told me where they live (she was away when I first filed the report so the person who took my report there added some notes later suspecting these dogs were the cause, when the ranger called me she read out what was written in their report, including the address.) I hope she is more careful with my details! I don't want the owners to know where I am just in case.

I think it is helpful to know where they are from through, its a few neighbours over and not a house I had really considered before (we are in a scrubby area so you can't see into peoples yards), so it gives me an idea where the dogs are getting into my place from so I can reinforce the fences on that side of the property.

The ranger told me that I could ask the dog owners to pay for the lost chickens but I won't. It's not the point.

Quote:
if a rooster crows Council are there to demand its immediate disposal, chook owners are a soft target for them.
We have tonnes of roosters constantly crowing in my area, I haven't heard of anyone having them taken away or fined, but maybe it is just so common that no one complains. I always find new homes for any roosters I hatch out of fear of annoying a neighbour. I think we can keep them with a permit but I have no idea what that would involve.

The ranger has now informed me that I need to meet with her to make an official statement before she can infringe the owners. Which means I'll have to take time off work to do it. This whole thing isn't easy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:09 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If the ranger said that you could expect them to pay for the chickens, that seems to me to be adequate to assume that despite no photo evidence, she is satisfied that the dogs did kill. Remember that in case you ever need it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:06 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Actually it might be a good idea to get them to pay for the lost chickens, as this might wake these people up, " hey the dogs are costing me money when their loose." Especially if you put a decent dollar value to them. If they are pure breds you could easily hit them up for $70 each. This may well make them contain them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:35 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Quote:
If the ranger said that you could expect them to pay for the chickens, that seems to me to be adequate to assume that despite no photo evidence, she is satisfied that the dogs did kill. Remember that in case you ever need it.
Yes, I will. I feel like i'm going around in circles with her over this kind of thing. It's the same when she says she can't infringe the owners for the second lot of photos because she can't clearly identify the dogs in the pictures, but when I ask her to open another case about these "other" dogs that are getting into my yard she refuses because she know that they are the same...

Quote:
Actually it might be a good idea to get them to pay for the lost chickens, as this might wake these people up, " hey the dogs are costing me money when their loose." Especially if you put a decent dollar value to them. If they are pure breds you could easily hit them up for $70 each. This may well make them contain them.
I was thinking about it, they were pure breds a couple of silkies, a plymouth rock and an australorp, so maybe $150 worth. But at the same time I don't want the neighbours to know who it was that reported them. They may be fine about it, but they may also not be.. I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I do want them to learn a lesson from this and I doubt they will care that a few chooks got killed. I agree that the dogs costing them money will be the only way that they decide they should stop them. That's why i've been pushing for multiple council fines. I'll find out how much each fine will be when I give my statement. Hopefully its decent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

PossumCorner wrote:
TookTook wrote:
.... Do you know yourself where the dogs live?

I wouldn't be following up on that even if I knew. Because very shortly they would know where you live. And I would not want thugs who enjoy owning dogs free to wander and kill knowing where to come knocking if the Council take any action. Seriously.

Recall the case in Doncaster Vic when a young woman working in the Council Pound kennels was pistol-whipped and bashed by the owners of a square-headed dog coming to retrieve their impounded dog. (Then she had to fight to get any compensation as I remember, which is irrelevant here).

I was more thinking of getting better photos of the dogs for identification as a restricted breed - certainly not confronting them!

That Doncaster story is quite sobering. Do you have any details on that story?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next