Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Neighbourhood dogs killing my chooks - what can I do?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:32 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Reading through ... electric netting may well help, at least. It tends to come in 50m lengths. Use a quality energiser, attached to mains power if you can, to ensure the charge is going through all the fence.

Trust me, they deliver a good solid zap (have done myself a few times). If you can somehow ensure the dogs are damp before they come into contact with the wire, so much the better.

The problem is that it's pricey; but the upside is that if you can prevent these dogs getting through, you've gone a long way to fox-protecting your girls as well, and may be able to extend their range as result.

Have a chat to your local produce store and see what they recommend.

Otherwise, I suggest Electranet as my first preference. I've tried a few brands and this one is lasting the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Quote:
electric netting may well help, at least. It tends to come in 50m lengths. Use a quality energiser, attached to mains power if you can, to ensure the charge is going through all the fence.

Thanks, yes i'll have a look at it. I haven't heard of electric netting before, just the wires. Is this the kind of thing you mean https://www.electricfenceaustralia.com. ... etail.html

I might look at putting a layer of electric netting 1 meter or so from the existing boundary fences in the area my chickens free range. I'm now spotting a cat and a fox on my camera so I just want to keep everything out!

I have tried to call the ranger again to tell her the dog names and ask her to look at my footage again, she isn't responding to my calls or emails so I think she might be avoiding me! I'll follow up with her again to at least make sure the original fines went out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:20 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Don't mention the cat or fox to her. It would be a good excuse to back away from the dogs doing the killing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Don't be afraid to go over her head if you aren't getting an appropriate response from her.

A friend of mine was getting nowhere for months with the local council here until he called and asked to speak to the CEO. He didn't get onto them (of course), but did manage to speak to the receptionist/PA...lo and behold, the issue was resolved within the week. Just making yourself known can sometimes push things forward.

And, you can always complain to the Vic Ombudsman if you feel it warrants it.

sue55 wrote:
Don't mention the cat or fox to her. It would be a good excuse to back away from the dogs doing the killing.

Totally agree.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:58 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If you get stonewalled, request the officers employee number and inquire as to the procedure for raising a formal complaint inclusive of escalation to the Victorian ombudsman and/or reporting the officers conduct to IBAC as specified conduct involving the officer ignoring illegal activity that could result in substanstial risk to public health and safety.

A dangerous dog attacking pets in people's backyards has the potential for a child to get caught between trying to protect their pet and the consequences have in the past have been serious or fatal and therefore constitutes a 'substantial risk'

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:24 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

As the matter of dogs is controlled by Victoria State Legislation, you could have the police involved. If they are deemed to be of a restricted breed, then the property must have a turquoise (?) sign stating that there are restricted dogs on the property. The restricted dogs, need to wear a specific type of collar, be on a leash when off the property, etc.

Read the Victoria "Domestic Animals Act" <http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/ltobjst9.nsf/DDE300B846EED9C7CA257616000A3571/C28E6965BA6CCBEDCA25803C007DC424/$FILE/94-81aa070%20authorised.pdf>

About page 30 onwards may give you some information, as to your position and the Council's responsibilities. There are some rules about what it a "restricted" dog, and what is a "dangerous" dog. Let me know if there is any terminology that you do not understand.

The Council Officer should have done something by the 2nd entry of the dogs to your property.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm still trying... I got an email from her today saying that the names didn't match so she couldn't use the second video. She also said the owners have had "enforcement action" for the incident in the first lot of pictures. I really hope this means they were fined and not just told to put their dogs away... I've asked her to clarify. If they haven't been fined i'm going to be pretty upset and will then take it further.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:49 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

So the dog matched physically but the name doesn't? What are their names then? :huh?

Another point going back to your request for a Dangerous Dog registration. She said that she couldn't because it's not a restricted breed. However a 'Restricted Breed' is separate from a 'Dangerous Dog', the latter can be declared for any breed that shows dangerous behaviour. They can declare for something like dog rushing, so I would push again for it to happen given they actually attacked and killed, with suggestion you will escalate it should they not do so (referring back to their statement that you can go after them for costs - if she thinks you can do that in court, then there is enough evidence the dogs did kill).

You are doing an awesome job putting up with it and persisting despite their seeming resistance to actually do anything of any worth.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

:huh? Where did those names which we heard come from then?
Are their registered names different to the names used to call them?
Just looked back at your first post - so far it has been a month.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

So the ranger has finally responded to me. She said that an enforcement action is an infringement and will go out at the end of the week (Finally!!).

I again pushed her about the names of the dogs from the second video and she says I still have it wrong and she wont use it. It's still beyond me why she can't add information that she knows to the case, she knows the dogs names and she heard them in the video, surely that is enough. (Plus it's obvious from looking at the video what dog it is!!) I'm thinking that she is taking what I said in my official statement as the names, not what I have sent her after once I was able to listen to it through a proper speaker.

She said she had showed my first lot of images to the dog owners and they identified the dogs as theirs. I'm guessing she doesn't want to go back there and show them the second lot of images too.

I think i'm going to have to settle with those fines. She's now at the point where she avoids my emails and phone calls so I doubt i'll get much more out of her. She did tell me a while back that the fine was $311 and she would fine for each dog, so hopefully they get $622 all up.

So much for Yarra Ranges zero tolerance on dog attacks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Go over the Rangers head.

Contact Yarra council and request the contact details for the director of corporate services and raise a statutory complaint

Reason - council is in breach of the domestic animals act 1994 by not applying the penalties specified in part 3, division 1, section 24 dogs found at large and part 3, division 2, section 29 (4) offences and liability relating to dog attacks and demand an answer why they have not been applied.

Also demand an answer from the director of corporate services as to why the animals have not been declared as dangerous dogs as per part 3, division 3, section 34 (1)(a) council may declare a dog to be dangerous

Raise the prospect of escalating the complaint to the Victorian ombudsman and that if council ignores the complaint you will further raise the matter as specified conduct with IBAC.

At the least you will get a response.

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:19 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I agree with Milo. I think it's time to escalate it.

Laws are set in place for a reason, as is the ability for official complaints to be made if they aren't followed appropriately. The ombudsman is exists exactly for this sort of thing too.

You don't need to accept what's happened. It is an unsatisfactory and inappropriate response. The ranger isn't doing her job properly, and at the end of the day she is putting other animals at risk by not taking action against the dogs.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:36 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

There is a fine line between revenge and a satisfactory outcome. The owners have been fined for not having their dogs under control. Have they been identified as dangerous dogs and the appropriate measures been put into practice to contain and identify them, especially as the ranger has already identified them as repeat offenders.
At the end of the day $600 is a substantial hit to most people's pockets. Better I think a single incident fine, conditional on compliance with their management.
It would have been nice if you had received some compensation for the dogs actions but at the end of the day you need to be satisfied that it will not happen again (to you or any one else). I would at the very least expect to have these questions addressed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:09 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

sue55 wrote:
There is a fine line between revenge and a satisfactory outcome. The owners have been fined for not having their dogs under control. Have they been identified as dangerous dogs and the appropriate measures been put into practice to contain and identify them, especially as the ranger has already identified them as repeat offenders.
At the end of the day $600 is a substantial hit to most people's pockets. Better I think a single incident fine, conditional on compliance with their management.
It would have been nice if you had received some compensation for the dogs actions but at the end of the day you need to be satisfied that it will not happen again (to you or any one else). I would at the very least expect to have these questions addressed.

I do agree with you on your point about revenge, some times things can be taken too far. Some people can just be vindictive far beyond what is reasonable.

However, in this instance I don't think the outcome is satisfactory.

The dogs haven't been declared dangerous, despite the fact they have killed. The fine is only for them being at large. Dogs get declared dangerous for much less (rushing, general aggression and the like) and this situation absolutely warrants it. To not do so is reckless. The ranger had already identified them as repeat offenders before they killed. They knew the owners frequently allowed their dogs to be at large, yet didn't intervene before the situation escalated, which resulted in the death of the OP's poultry.

Had people been involved and not chickens, the response would have been vastly different (as you'd expect). Yet at the end of the day, the end result is still the same - the dogs are dangerous, have killed, and are not being properly secured. A Dangerous Dog declaration would go a long way to ensuring the dogs are properly secured and this can't happen again.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the fine wasn't $622, but instead just the $311. But that's beside the point really. The ranger isn't doing their job properly and enacting the laws they are there to enforce.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:38 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

0ochello0 wrote:
Quote:
I was more thinking of getting better photos of the dogs for identification as a restricted breed - certainly not confronting them!

Ah! no, I can't get near their place. We live in the Dandenong mountains so very steep and lots of trees. I can't see into their block from any side, even from the road.

I just gave a signed statement to the council to say what happened. Each dog will get a $311 fine which is much more than I was expecting. The council ranger assures me that they are now contained, though something big was in my yard yesterday. My camera battery went flat so I didn't get any images this time but there was stuff thrown around again and my quail coop was damaged.. She said she would do extra patrols in my area to try to see them.

Fantastic news! Glad to hear. Just keep that battery charged! ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next