Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Isa Brown Hens & Lilac Coloured Eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:55 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi, So this is my first post. Sorry if this ended up in the wrong place.
So we have 5 hens at our place. 3 Isa Browns and 2 black and white hens from my uncle's and I'm not sure exactly what they are. Anyway regarding the Isa Browns, we have an older darker one and two younger ones which are lighter and a few months younger than the others. We use to have another Isa Brown hen but she suddenly died one day.
Anyway until recently we'd been getting a really white egg, a slightly less white egg, 2 dark brown eggs and 1 light brown egg but over the last week or so one of the Isa Brown's eggs seems to have turned a lilac colour. Pretty sure it's one of them as we still seem to get 2 white eggs. I took a photo of the egg as the sudden change is concerning

https://www.dropbox.com/s/520jph0r3gu3zxa/2017-03-20%2019.50.39.jpg?dl=0 (incase you need to view the egg because somehow I derped up the attachment)

Attachment:
File comment: Lilac coloured egg from Isa Brown
20170320_195025.jpg
20170320_195025.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 739 times ]

The photo isn't the greatest but the egg looks purple/lilac in colour and if you touch the shell with damp fingers it almost looks like a blood streak on it. Before the colour change we noticed the egg was brown white white spots and another of our hens lays a brown egg with dark spots that almost look like tiny drops of blood.

Our hens have water and laying pellets they can eat whenever they want, they get some grain tossed on the ground morning and night, they have direct access to fresh ground and are moved around our yard usually no later than 48 hours after sitting in a spot so they get fresh grass, they also get any weeds growing out of the ground and any bugs they can find. We also let them have some of our food scraps like corn cobs, carrot peelings etc. We make sure not to put egg shells in the bucket of scraps they get. They get the scraps perhaps once a week to once a fortnight. Usually when it gets full enough or smelly enough which takes a little while with 3 of us living in the house.
Should I be concerned that the eggs are such a colour? Our hens haven't shown any odd behaviour only thing odd is the colour of the egg.

EDIT: Took a photo of their house if that's helpful at all
Attachment:
File comment: Our mobile chook home
2017-03-17 18.36.57.jpg
2017-03-17 18.36.57.jpg [ 2.5 MiB | Viewed 737 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Firedingo and welcome to the forum.
The egg looks quite normal to me. The white overlay is called a 'bloom'. Basically a thin layer of calcium over the brown shell, It is desirable for some breeds (eg the 'purple' egg from Croad Langshan is actually brown with a bloom) White spots on eggs are also calcium deposits - possibly from the same hen just a change with season or age. The brown spots are a concentration of pigment, sometimes that spreads over the egg as well.
So long as your chooks appear other wise healthy I would not be concerned. Some variation is normal. Their general diet sounds good although I would be cautious with the contents of the scraps bucket. Old food scraps will ferment and can develop moulds and toxins - best if they are fed while fresh - basically if you wouldn't consider it safe to eat, don't feed it to the chooks - ideal for the worm farm or the compost.

You might find this interesting. Click on the link.

https://www.alltech.com/sites/default/f ... poster.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:53 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi sue55, Thanks for replying and letting me know. I'll be sure to tell my other housemates not to feed the hens scraps that are too old. We did recently have a big change in weather as we went from stinking hot heatwave of summer to massively cooler Autumn. Apart from that not much else has changed except for that one hen who died. She looked terrible in the morning and by the afternoon was dead. At the time I didn't understand what was going on or what to do. In hindsight after some research she was probably Egg-Bound. After that we got two new hens. There was a period of adjustment where they were refusing to eat or drink unless they were protected from being pecked. After a while that settled down and now they're pretty alright. Just in those first few weeks I would sit with them and keep the other hens away while they ate or drank. They got quite friendly with me as a result.
Thanks for the link. It's very helpful :)