Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is she an egg eater?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is she an egg eater?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I purchased a Plymouth rock bantam from a hatchery two weeks ago. I was told she was six months old but her comb makes her look much older. A week before I visited this hatchery I phoned them and asked if they had any plymouth rocks and was told they had no bantams available. I visit a week later and there is one available.

Anyway... today I put a fake egg in their nesting box. I went out and came home at 9pm and the plymouth rock wasn't on her roosting perch, I've been putting her on it the last week. Before I picked her up she noticed the fake egg in the nesting box. Keep in mind this is 9pm at night in the dark with just the glow of my little torch. That light was enough for her to spot the fake egg and start pecking at it. Aggressively. Tomorrow I'm going to present her with a real egg and see her reaction to confirm the behaviour. Does it seem like I have a little egg eater on my hands? I can't afford an egg eater. I have an urban flock and I only have 2 birds right now because I couldn't find any more bantams under 6months old in Brisbane at this time of year. I want 4 girls eventually.

I visited redlands produce a few weeks ago and they had plymouth rock bantams that they wouldn't sell me because they were egg eating.

I really hope my chicken isn't egg eating :( I only have two girls and I paid $60 dollars for my little bantam. Should I return her to the hatchery? I can't install a roll away egg tray to my coop. Sigh

What should I do to test her and what should I do if she is devouring eggs?

Post subject: Re: Is she an egg eater?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:25 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It all sounds a bit 'sus' :chinscr

I would put her to the test and return her if she is guilty' Once they begin to egg eat they are very hard to change or trust and they are likely teach the others.
I have had some success with leaving lots of golf ball around - in the nest and on the floor but has to be done when there are no real eggs around. Repeated concussion of the beak seems to be a deterrent
Don't bother with the chilli or mustard filled eggs trick - chooks actually like chillis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you for responding. She's a beautiful bird but I did want some eggs. I grew up in the country with chickens and this is my first flock of my own at my own house. Feel a bit poo. I've got lots of golf balls so I will try that.. sigh. Crazy chickens!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:06 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Really hope she isn't eating the eggs... Agree that the only option in that case would be to return her. A real bummer, so fingers crossed that she passed the test.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Update. When she started laying she did peck holes in to her first 2 eggs but since filling up the nesting box with a few golf balls that behaviour has stopped. I think she was curious but I'm relieved she only punctured those first few eggs & didn't move on to eating them. Phew. Now we can all stay together.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Good news :thumms

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I spoke too soon. The universe is probably laughing at me. Yesterday I was out all day but when I came home in the evening I checked the nest boxes & there was nothing. Didn't investigate just made sure the coop was all secure for the night. This morning I visited the girls & I noticed white flakes on the run floor and on closer investigation it was egg shells. They had eaten every drop of egg and there is hardly any shell left. I'm so disappointed. I won't always be home in the middle of the day to collect eggs. I don't know what to do... I've been home the last 2 weeks so Ive been able to collect the eggs immediately after they are laid, but I'll be away for work during the day soon. I'm not impressed. They love parsley and I'm not giving them any today!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Roll away nest boxes?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:07 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes, I was going to suggest roll aways. The seem to work quite well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Roll away boxes work. Bonus is cleaner eggs, not being mud-stained by the next hen to hop in the box with free range mud on its feet.