Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What is killing our chooks?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:00 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello everyone, brand new with a very strange question.

We are in the country with plenty of open farmland around us. We have a few Isabrowns and 3 bantams. We have a large chook yard and a chook shed in the yard. This is all under gum trees, there is an electric fence around the yard near the ground and in 15 years have never had a fox in.

We have now had, over the course of a few weeks, all of our bantams killed in very strange circumstances. There is a small area behind the chook shed that is covered with tree branches over head and shrubs around it outside the fence. Every week or so we have had a bantam killed in the exact same spot behind the chook shed in the same way. It's really strange as it really is the exact same spot.

The carcass is still there but with the head chewed off, and sometimes a bit of wing chewed. Feathers all around. Only the bantams, the bigger birds are fine, although all can access this spot.

It can't be a fox as a fox will kill them all. An eagle can't get in there, too much overhead and around and I assume it would take the body to eat.

Otherwise we are totally flummoxed, we have no idea what is doing this, we can't think of a single animal or bird that would do this, particularly in the most protected part of the yard in the exact same spot each time.

The local farmer has a dog but has had for many years, and we've never had trouble with him. And he would have to get over the fence though it's not that high. But to have it occur 3 times in the exact same spot in the exact same way is very strange.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks. Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:03 pm 

sounds like chicken hawk to me, I've had some trouble with them here and they eat the head first and the move on to the breast meat. could be killing them in the open and then moving under the trees to feast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:50 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Yep a brown or grey goshawk for sure, the reason I can't free range bantams around my place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for that, I'm not a bird expert, all I could think of is an eagle, but I didn't think an eagle would take chooks under trees.

I assume there's nothing that can be done to stop them?

And I also assume that they take the bantams as they are smaller. Hopefully my Isabrowns are ok, none of them have been taken.

Cheers