Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Lice & Mite treatments

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lice & Mite treatments
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:41 pm 
Eggy
Eggy

I took Andy's advice and checked my broody and her nest for lice/mites, initially I couldn't see anything, but today I noticed some on the nestbox and a few on the hen. All I could get here at short notice was Pestene Insecticidal Powder, so the broody, nestbox and coop have been given a good dust.
I was just wondering what everyone else uses? I see alot of mention of Diatomaceous Earth (insecticide grade) on the US boards and Avian Insect Liquidator which is also available here.
All advice greatly appreciated :-)

Cheers,

Mandie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:41 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We also use the Pestene powder Mandie - it's readily available and easy to use.
It's worth gettting into the habit of checking your birds for lice every time you handle them on a regular basis.
You'd be horrified how quickly they came multiply and literally suck the life from your birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:46 am 
Eggy
Eggy

I'm glad to hear that someone else uses it :-)
Like you say, it's worth getting into the habit of checking the birds for lice on a regular basis - I couldn't believe that there was no sign of infestation(that I could see) one day and then the next day they were everywhere.
Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Mandie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:27 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I also use the Pestene powder and it seems to do a pretty good job.

I also always make sure that there is a nice patch of dry dirt for the chooks to have a dust bath, especially with broody hens - they seem to go a a little crazy when they can't have a decent dustbath. I ahve found that lice numbers increase after there has been a few days of solid rain when the ground is to wet for a dustbath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:20 pm 
Eggy
Eggy

Thanks George :-)
I spent a goodly amount of time checking the girls, their nestboxes and coops today and the Pestene powder seems to have done the job. I also sprinkled some where they have their dustbath just to be sure.
I've made a mental note to be extra vigilant after rain too :-)

Cheers,
Mandie

Post subject: MITES and LICE
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:35 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The breeder I purchased my barnies off used ivomec - apparantly you have to get it from a vetinarian. I haven't tried it yet but it may be worth trying.
Apparantly ivomec and moxidectin are often used by pigeon breeders so they should be pretty safe as long as your vet knows the correct dilution rate to place in the drinking water.

Another option you could try are natural remedies such as:
* 1-2 cloves of garlic per bird in their water on a regular basis(apparantly garlic is rich in sulphur)
* camphor laurel trees branches for perches
* neem trees and bracken used in with their nesting material
* growing tansy, fennel, southernwood, wormood near or in the chook run
* using sawdust and shavings from camphor laurel and oregon in the runs

I have used these at different times PLUS Pestene powder and don't seem to have much trouble. I also sprinkle pestene powder in their dust bath on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:38 pm 
Forum Founder

I have gone off the powders, and now use surface spray from the supermarket. Black & gold brand is fine, and its the stuff they spray carpets etc for mites/fleas etc. Because its an aerosole, I spray about 7 cm away into the vent feathers, and also under the wings. Works fine for me.

If your checking your birds for lice, part the feathers around the vent and you will see lice scattering to escape the open light spaces. You may also notice clumps of eggs at the base of feathers and loose irritated skin flakes. I have found roosters always get lice infestations worse than hens.

Andy.V

ps I also know people who spray all their chook legs after coming back from a show. Northorn fowl mite and red mites is disastrous if you get it, as they can live off the birds for many months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:21 pm 
Week Old duckling
Week Old duckling

Andy - Is the spray safe to use on the chickens???

Is the powder good to use as a preventative or just when there is an outbreak? how often should it be used?

I would like to stay as organic as possible.

Nicole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:34 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

My chooks had lice earlier this year, after a wet spell. I dusted them with Derris Dust (rotenone) which solved the problem but am not really happy using this too often. Since then I just make sure they have plenty of time in the yard where they dust bath freely, and I add a mixture of dolomite (about a cup), sulphur powder and neem powder (about a teaspoon each) to their dust bath every few weeks. I have noticed that the rooster doesn't dust bathe as often as the hens, as he stays "on guard" :lol: They also have dolomite sprinkled in their pen regularly. I clean any poo off their perch every day, wiping with vinegar if necessary, and every few weeks I oil the perch with olive oil with a few drops of eucalyptus oil added. They also have their nest box bedding changed regularly and I sprinkle neem powder in there and add a few bracken branches as well to deter any bugs. A monthly addition of garlic in their feed or water helps deter worms - not sure if it has any action on lice/mites. Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:52 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Judy,

where did you get the neem powder from?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:37 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

A good spray for the coop and nest boxes... and hens and roosters is Pyrethrum.. you get it from the local garden shops.. or nurseries... buy it in concentrated form and break it down to 10 ml per liter of water.. works really well

Only spray on warm days so the birds dry off and the coop also dries out .. never do it on a cold day or a windy day and never put your birds back into a cold wet coop to sleep

When you spray the birds... use a hand sprayer or one of those 7 litre garden sprayers... you pump them up easy to use.. spray the vent to the skin.. back to the skin.. breast to the skin.. wings to the skin... I never do the head incase some goes down the throats of the birds..

Stays on the bird for around 3 months.. if you have a bad infestation ..you will need to spray the entire coop and roost and nest and birds each week until you get rid of them.. powders won't usually get rid of them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:44 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks sandy...

The pyrethrum sounds good; natural and an 'all rounder'.
Will get some today.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:58 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

The neem powder is available from Green Harvest (online mail order). It's not that cheap but goes a long way. Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:05 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

thanks judy

Post subject: Piperonyl butoxide
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:56 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

about pyrethrum...

most pyrethrum products, garden store ones and also the lice and mite spray for birds that i bought, contain "piperonyl butoxide".
And i have since learnt through investigation, it acts as a synergist.

So i am gathering it is safe to use near/on poultry.

I read somewhere that pyrethrum products that contain the butoxide will not be organically certified. Though i also read conflicting info.

Would the pyrethrum be still as effective, without the butoxide?
would it perhaps better for the chooks?