Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Peacocks for sale Boorowa

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:08 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi, what sort of enviroment do Peacocks need, we have some trees but not bush like. I know these birds also get up on rooves for safety. Would they reside happily with 30 geese and 30 ducks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:49 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Not sure how they would go with the Geese and Ducks. If your got some trees that would be fine mine just free range. It's best if you don't live close to others if you have peacocks.

cheers squeak1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Would like to do a bit more homework before I bought some home. Have tried doing some homework on them some time ago, but found very little. Do you know a helpful site. I would not like to bring them here if our property is not suitable. Noise-wise no probs, like I said we have 30 geese. They make a hell of a racket at times, but that is not a concern, we are 335 acres. I love the sound they make.
I am concerned we do not have enough trees. We do not have many big ones. We have also lost ducks and one goose to b.....foxes that have had the gawl to come into our front garden. How well do they fly and can they make a quick getaway. Anymore info you have would be appreciated.
Sorry to bugger you around, just a newbie with these birds.
Regards Christina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Should of said they would def be free range, do not like caging anything, except for at night. Do you have trees there. My hubby says they need old very large trees. And what exactly is it they eat, vegetation or insects or both?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:43 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

You will need to lock them up for several months initially otherwise they will simply disappear. They DO need this settling in process.

They don't necessarily need old large trees. If there is a tree they will roost in it. Mine rarely go onto the roof of the house other than by the male as a quick staging point into his preferred roost tree of a night. The hens roost in another tree (a much smaller Peppercorn).

They are very good fliers and readily evade foxes except when the females are on nests or have small chicks. I have never lost a hen to foxes as my Peahens either nest in 44 gallon drums I've placed on top of chook pens under overhanging trees, on the roof of our fernery or occasionally under shrubs in the garden close to the house. However, I find people are always contacting me wanting to replace Peahens that have been taken by foxes. Personally, I think it is a management issue that can be addressed.

Once the chicks hatch I make sure they are ushered into a pen of each night (very easy to do) and let out in the morning. After about 10 days the chicks will be trying to roost in trees - they fly very early!

If you have water around - fish ponds etc - make sure you cover them with wire or similiar otherwise they WILL find a way to drown themselves. The same goes for deepish water containers you might be using for your geese etc.

I love my Peafowl. They are easy to look after and, with a bit of common sense, easy to manage.

Cheers

David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:52 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks David .

Pretty much what david said you will need to lock them up to start with .

As for feed they eat the bugs and i give them some scratch mix that i feed the chooks.

cheers squeak1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:09 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thankyou for your info David and Squeak. I did some late night homework also and found what you were saying, being necessary to lock them up for a few months. Unfortunately, at this stage I do not have a spare enclosure. So I am sorry Squeak, but that counts me out also at this stage for buying your birds. We plan on putting up a bigger duck house of which we have already purchased a 2nd hand double garage, but that will take some time.
Thankyou for your time and info.