Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Advice on show pens?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on show pens?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:56 pm 

Where can I buy show pens for pen training birds or does anyone have plans I can follow to build my own?

Thanks
Jade

Post subject: Re: Advice on show pens?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I can't give any advice, have no clue about show pens. I did however notice that on the noticeboard Kim from Muswellbrook NSW had show boxes/carrier boxes listed for sale on the 24th April, phone 0418644766. I can't see where you are from to know if that location works for you.

Post subject: Re: Advice on show pens?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
I had a training pen made for me up here in Qld. It was made of plywood. The measurements are 66.5cm high, 63.5cm wide and 59.5cms deep.
I have a tall Croad Langshan Cockerel this year who's comb is slightly bending over but he has got used to it. I am not sure if your birds as big as mine if so then you might need to make it a little higher. I have never had a problem with that height before - he must be just taller. It has a cagefront on it and the person that made it put it on pine legs for me so it was at my height as I don't have anything in my pen to put it on.
Their is adequate room wise in depth and width for him to move around and of cause heaps of room for the pullets or hens.
I painted mine light blue and being painted makes it easy to clean down. I think you might be able to purchase cage fronts from someone in the Australasian Poulty magazine last I had looked which was a while ago.

Lana