Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Suspect Cocci - looking for options

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:26 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all - I have lost nearly every young chicken from my last 2 hatches between the ages of 8-22 weeks. They literally fall over and die without any previous signs that I can notice. We had a very wet winter (Canberra region) when the first batch were growing up and I figured that was the problem as cocci can be more active in the wet. Now I'm down to my last 3 left from the second batch and it's hot and dry here yet I occasionally still find one randomly dead in the coop. I have tried using Amprilliom as a preventative and have gone through 2 bottles now but still end up losing them.

So my next lot is in the incubator and I feel at a loss of what to do. I have considered letting my broody raise them as that might introduce the coccidiosis to them gradually and they might gain a better immunity to it?

My flock is a mixed age flock and all the older hens are fine, it's just the young ones which are introduced from the brooder around 5-6 weeks of age and kept in a sectioned off area of the main coop area. Eventually they have the ability to start mixing with the older birds. These hatches have all been expensive pure-breeds that I'd bought so I've been totally bummed when one by one they drop off.

Is the coccidiosis vaccination a possibility (Emeriavax 4)? I can't find where to buy it and wonder if I'd need to get it in at a vet. I've heard it's expensive. Please, any options would be gratefully received as I'm worried I'm sentencing my chicks to die by introducing them to my flock!

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi aperritt, sorry to hear that this is happening to you. There a couple of others on the forum who have also had this as an ongoing problem. Do a search and you may find some useful strategies.

Some management guidelines (apologies if you already do this)
Medicated starter till 6-8 weeks
Medicated grower till at least 20 weeks.
Obsessive dry hygiene in the brooder - do a search on here for proteq (Brindabella produce sell it)
Complete separation from older birds until 20 weeks - not in the adjoining pen but well away
Water containers off the ground - barrier between spills and soil
There is some evidence that Coccidia are developing a resistance to Amprollium - use an alternative medication

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:59 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

vetafarm probiotics in their water from day one. Theory is competitive exclusion - by lining the gut with beneficial bacteria the coccidia can't get a start.

a slight whistling sound accompanies the fall of the axe before splitting the wood. startled my girls look at me with fear in their tiny chicken eyes. "It's not for you... yet" I cry and laugh at them like a chook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:59 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for your help Sue, I thought I couldn't be the only one and I had done a search before posting this but did more thorough last night and found some good advice thank you. I also found a great discussion with photos on the classic "hunch" posture and that really helped as I've seen that before in my own chickens but didn't realize that was an indicator.

I also didn't realize they had a medicated grower (as opposed to the medicated chick starter) as I get the typical lauke mills grower from my produce store. I have also looked into the feeds with the Regeno as a natural coccidiostat so I will be calling around tomorrow when the shops open.

You mentioned switching to another medication in case of resistance, but my understanding is that Amprilliom is the only one on the market that can be given to my whole flock without issues. Is there another I should know about? The only other one I've seen is Baycox but that it can't be given to laying hens.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll be re-evaluating my set up to see if I can make any differences that will help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:00 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If you have been using Lauke pullet Grower it is a good quality product and is medicated. The Lauke Red Hen range is not medicated. The medication in the feeds works by keeping the coccidia at a low level whilst the chicks develop a natural resistance. They will succumb to Coccidiosis if they get a massive challenge (eg damp conditions) before they develop sufficient natural resistance - that is the time for additional medication - either preventative or as a treatment.
By the time your hens are laying Coccidiosis should not be a problem so it is unlikely to need to treat them.
Baycox is generally considered as the most effective. You can buy smaller quantities of it here

http://www.geckodan.com/product/toltraz ... cidiocide/

Danny also has is also another single dose product - Diclazuril but I know nothing about it. Hopefully some one else can provide some information.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Some 'light' reading.

The study undertaken was a comparison of different methods of probiotic applications to salinomycin following Eimeria infection (including both positive & negative controls).

Some good reading here if you have the time (and if the link works) and the results of intestinal lesions and cyst counts are interesting, well to me at least...

https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/93/ ... methods-on

a slight whistling sound accompanies the fall of the axe before splitting the wood. startled my girls look at me with fear in their tiny chicken eyes. "It's not for you... yet" I cry and laugh at them like a chook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

You don't need to treat your entire flock for cocci - or you shouldn't. It should only be required at intervals from hatching to about 12 weeks of age.

If you're still getting deaths from cocci after that age, despite medicated feed, then we need to look at something else.

Yes, Canberra's had a pretty whacko summer - hothothot and dry, but with all that rain to start off with - but I've certainly had a more successful raising year last year, when I was lucky to get about a dozen birds from hundreds of eggs set over several months.

When I started out, however, I had the most awful troubles with raising chicks. Just couldn't seem to keep them alive. I gave up for several years, in fact.

Now I can confidently raise batches of 30-50 and lose maybe one, at most, and generally not to cocci.

The main trick is to give the chicks as much space as possible. If the chicks have many square metres to roam around in, it prevents the major cocci re-infestation issues. Our dry grounds and heat dessicate the cocci-laden droppings within a day, so you just need to prevent the chicks treading in their own wet poo for the time it takes to dry. So give them lots and lots of space, tree branches to hop up on, and ensure the area around their feed and waterers isn't in contact with the ground so they don't try to eat or drink from the ground.

Do you have some photos of your setup? How many eggs do you have in the 'bator at the moment? Maybe we can help get these through.