Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Advice on a sick chicken from Mary

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
please, how do I send a photo to anyone there who maybe able to help me..Of Rosie's bottom! She's almost skin and bones..I feed them all a mash of soakes quick oats with sardines,spinach,corn and organic greek yoghur. I put a capful of Garlic and cider vinegar in the 2 litres of drinking water. Another of my Silky chickens "Baby" died a couple of months ago also emaciated before I noticed. I tried force (gently ) feeding her a special mash for chicken that saved my rooster> He had a drooping neck

Attachments:
Rosie.jpg
Rosie.jpg [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 388 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:16 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Another pic

Attachments:
Rosie 2.jpg
Rosie 2.jpg [ 504.69 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:22 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi Mary

A few things:
How old is she?
Wash up her backside in warm, soapy water and dry her. Trim the feathers around her butt so the poo doesnt stick there.
Worm her as soon as you can.
Change her diet to good quality pellets to optimise her nutrition as I am concerned her diet is not great especially if she has a significant worm burden.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

RJ beat me so I will just elaborate on what she said
Hi Mary and welcome to the forum. It is nice to have a new member.
How old is Rosie?
Has Rosie ever been wormed? Pooey bottoms and loss of condition are sometimes the result of a worm burden however she does need immediate help if we are to try and help her.
Start by changing her current diet and give her a feed which has been specially developed for poultry (such as the mash that helped your rooster).You can add the sardines and/or yoghurt to encourage her to eat 'strange food
Their current diet is not well enough balanced to provide all the nutrients that they need for good health. They need much more protein and the correct balance of other nutrients. Quick oats does not provide much more than carbohydrates and fibre which is eliminated. The rest of their diet is best considered as treats.
You could get some avian multi vitamins and give Rosie a boost for a few days. Good quality tinned cat food, fresh mince meat or sardines in oil or spring water or a small serve of scrambled egg can also be fed in the short term to try to encourage her to eat. All of your chooks can be treated to this but not more than a couple of times a week.
For their best health buy some poultry layer feed (make sure that it is labelled layer and not scratch mix - that is just for treats) and make that available to them all of the time - treats in the afternoon after they have eaten 'the real stuff'.
I would worm all of your chooks and do a follow up dose in 2 weeks. The best products to use are Worm Out, Avitrol Plus or Moxidectin Plus - they are the only products which will cover all the poultry worms.
Chooks which are not well are also targeted by external parasites such as lice. Check thru her feathers for crawlies and also under her tail for the egg sacs (little greyish coccoons).
I hope that we can get Rosie back to good health but just be aware that if she has been unwell for some time she may not be able to recover. Please keep us posted of your progress and don't hesitate to ask questions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:48 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi everyone
Rosie is on a premium chicken layer crumble.
All the Silkies are.
The mash is just to give them extra nutrients.

I couldnt' see any worms in the poos and none when i examined her vent,which I think is protruding too much ??

The discharge was whitish and I did see a little streak of blood.
Rosie still run s to get to the mash in the morning and I do scatter scratch mix.

I put a worming mixture into the water 2 days ago.It was thick yellow and took forever to disolve.
I think it was a generic wormer for birds and chicken PetA something??
The girls wouldnt drink it!!
They usually run to the water bowl first thing when I let them out of the pen.

They free range all day.

I have been sitting Rosie in a warm bath of epsom salts for 30 mins, the last 2 nights.

Is that enough info ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

The layer crumble is available all day in the coop.
Also ideas onhow to worm them if they won't drink the water with it in it.

Post subject: mary
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:09 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

how much Nystatin should I give It comes as Nilstat or Mycostatin drops from pharmacies ..
It is 100,000 iu PER 1 ML

tHANKS mARY i DONT WHAT rOSIE HAS BUT maybe will try everything I can.. RJ posted photos for me so any clues would be great

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Diet sounds perfect
The wormer sounds like Wormout. Are the ingredients listed as Praziquantel and Oxfendazole? If so it needs to be offered first thing in the morning and be the only water for 48 hours. They will eventually be thirsty enough to drink. It can be direct dosed - will have to check doseage.

The wormer sounds like Wormout. Are the infredients listed as Praziquantel and Oxfendazole?