Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Thoughts on Vitamin Injections to help with fertility

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have spoken to a couple of older, well long term breeders that have said the use vitamin injections to help with fertility of their breed of choice. The product is Troy vitamin ADE injection, I had a look at it & read the info but was surprised there was no VitB in it. Also read the info on another Troy product B-Complex & thought wouldn't it be a better option for breeders?? Any thoughts??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Perhaps there is a use for it where poultry are recovering from severe disease or a very poor diet.
Otherwise healthy poultry on a quality diet will probably obtain no benefit or suffer from excesses of those vitamins that are harmful at high levels.
Good quality commercial breeders rations and good quality free range will each provide adequate vitamins.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

A lot of vitamins are flushed right out if supplied in excess so I can't see how a once only shot could be a long term fix. Better to provide a permanent well balanced diet as good practice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thankyou for the replies

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

We give ADE (Hideject) and phosphorous/B12 (CophosB) shots to alpacas twice yearly. To overcome deficiency problems, not as a fertility help. Without this they too often develop poorly from young, rickets etc.

Some owners use both the injections and Anitone as a vitamin/mineral supplement with feed. I'm sort of with Fuscipes and Sue55 in thinking that a balanced diet is 'enough' for poultry. But it is not 'enough' for alpacas, they need the booster of Vits A, E, B.

So I compromise with the chooks, mix Anitone with their feed, and believe there is a benefit - and as Sue55 said, if it is more than they need or will take up and utilise, it doesn't accumulate. It covers the ADE that the injections you mentioned cover demonique, without having to stick needles into them. Some detail in this link.
http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/anitone ... ll-animals