Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sick Wyandotte possibly cocci

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:08 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all, I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to sick chooks. My Wyandotte is very lethargic, tail pointing down, watery diarrhoea. I was told she looks like she has cocci, treat her and the rest of my flock with baycox. I managed to get some from a vet and he said to treat my whole flock as well.

Now after researching it there's some contradictory information. Some say don't give to egg laying hens, others say withholding period of 6 weeks, vet says 8 weeks before we can eat the eggs again. I had it in there water today for 8 hrs but now I'm worried I've done the wrong thing by giving to my flock as they are all laying.

Would love for someone to clarify this, not sure whether to give them the second dose for 8 hrs tomorrow or not.

Attachments:
File comment: Sick Wyandotte
20180316_163931.jpg
20180316_163931.jpg [ 1 MiB | Viewed 279 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:41 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

The most important thing is to prevent your birds from getting sick. So I would definitely follow the vet’s advice and treat all of your flock with the medication. The vet said that the eggs are ok to eat in 8 weeks and so I’d follow that advice too.

You can feed the eggs back to the hens (scrambled is easiest).

Hope any unwell birds make a full recovery :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:46 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Did the vet actually see the hen to diagnose Coccidiosis - It can happen but is unusual in mature birds. By adulthood, they have generally developed an immunity to it.
If the vet didn't see the bird, take in a poo sample and have them look under the microscope for indications.
Does she have any signs of a respiratory disease - she looks like she is gasping/mouth breathing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:48 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Sue, no the vet didn't see her and to be honest I don't think he really knew much about baycox either, he had to look up answers to my questions. I didn't really know what to do and I'm gutted because she had passed this morning and I feel I've let her down. She was panting a fair bit but it has been hot here as well. I didn't hear any wheezing or anything. Anyway not sure what it was and im now regretting treating my whole flock with baycox.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:18 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

We've all been there, it's part of the learning curve and even with the best treatment not all our birds recover - and many vets plead ignorance with poultry.
The bright side of the Baycox treatment is that at least the rest of your flock is possibly not laying well at this time of the year any way. Take the opportunity to worm them if they're due - no need to worry about with holding periods for worming meds if you are already with holding for Baycox.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:51 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Sorry about your hen.... You did all you could by taking her to the vet. Unfortunately when chickens get really sick often there isn’t much that can be done to help. You did your best.

Treating for parasites is a good thing to do if you suspect a problem - even if the parasites aren’t the primary issue treating for them can give a bird enough of a boost that it can better resist the real threat. The worst scenario would be having another bird die and wishing you had treated them all with baycox.

Won’t be long before you can eat the eggs again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:15 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Sorry about her, she was a lovely bird.

Could it be that it was heat stress? How hot was it?

She does look like she was panting which causes a lot of water loss. The watery diarrhea may have been caused by drinking so much water for cooling herself that her blood electrolyte level went wrong.
If there is another underlying disease the heat stress may have been too much for her.

The important thing is to watch the others very closely.