Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Seabright young chicken with Marek's

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have recently bought a few seabright young chickens and found one that was paralyised, wings, both legs and her head as I didn't know what it was bought her into the house to keep warm, she looked as if she was going to die when she didn't I began feeding her by hand same for water in a syringe then began massaging her wings, legs and feet and keeping her warm. She has been slowly recovering the use of her head, wings and one leg the other is getting there. As I have now found out what it is and that its a type of Herpes virus, no cure, no treatment, contagious passed on via respiratory, dander, secretions. What my questions are:- Do they recover?, will she always be contagious? Can humans catch anything eg Shingles as I have had her on my chest to keep warm and been very close to her. Please help Jessica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:36 am 
Marek's is a disease you breed for resistance. sebrights tend to be especially prone to it most likely because so many breeders vaccinate these days,

you ar doing the right thing. with plenty of exercise a bird can recover but it is the rarity.

one can assume all unvaccinated birds have Marek's.

there are different strains of Marek's. some birds are more reistant to the different strains than others.

if you plan to vaccinate for Marek's then you plan never to hatch a chicken under a mother. you plan to incubator hatch and inject the vaccine at a day or 2 old and isolate these birds from the rest of the population for 2 weeks for as long as you breed poultry.

seeing your bird is recovering then it has a certain amount of inbuilt resistance. and if none of the others get it then thay have resistance too.

chickens can be bred to increase their resistance to Marek's disease. and if you vaccinatae then you are contributing to breeding for no resistance. in a non resistant line you can expect to loose over 90% of your birds to Marek's if left unvaccinated.

k

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:23 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you Ruff

Very informative - Do you or anyone else know if other chickens and other birds (as I have also got parakeets) can catch Marek's (if unvaccinated). Will she always be contagious even if she recovers (a carrier) and can humans catch anything - as it is a type of herpes virus especially as I was reading a very old article concerning chicken pox and shingles by a Dr Merek?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:53 am 
Marek's is only a disease of poultry. turkeys get it but a different type. humans do not get it, neither do caged birds.

there is nothing wrong with a bird being a carrier of Marek's. diseases are a part of life. we do not live in a sterile world. our own bidies are full of other organisms that live with us and some are incorporated into our own genetic material.

the ability to survive disease is important and if there is no disease there is nothing to build up immunity. we cannot remove disease unless we live in a bubble. you must assume that all unvaccinated chooks carry Marek's.

k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:25 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

ruff wrote:
Marek's is a disease you breed for resistance. sebrights tend to be especially prone to it most likely because so many breeders vaccinate these days k

If this bird survives could she pass on her anti bodies to her off spring. Would she be a good candidate to breed a resistant line.?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:59 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Ruff Thank you so much for your advice and help. I was too worried to let my grand daughter who wanted to hold her, do so, in case she caught something. My little Seabright is doing well she managed to get out of her box last night and this morning found her in the dogs bed with the dog (my dog a staffordshire bullterrier) who was petrified of her but just in case the dog decided she is no longer scared of her - making sure she cant get into the dogs bed again now we know she can now fly - discovered when I opened the door and she rushed out and flew onto my shoulder. I never knew chickens purred - she makes sounds like trim phones.
It would be good if she could be part of breeding a resistant strain - as it isn't a nice way to die. Jessica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:05 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Yes my barnevelder suffering froom Mareks is purring alot.