Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - chicken breathing hoarsely

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I noticed one of my chooks sounding as if she was asthmatic about 3 days ago. I thought she may have something in her throat and I know they have a great capacity for dealing with such an obstruction. I watched her and thought she was eating normally. However, she died yesterday. Her body weight was fine, I checked her for ticks, her bowel movements seemed normal.
would like advice on what was possibly the problem.
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi barrycon again.
This morning my rooster now has a raspy voice, just like the now-dead chicken. He is eating normally, just as she was. I've now isolated him with food and water, and given him about 10mgm doxycycline in water and thru a syringe (a human tab divided by `10)
Talking to a vet is pretty much useless, as they don't really know much about chickens.
I understand that if it is viral, there isn't much that can be done.
Any advice appreciated
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:12 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Sounds viral Barry, although a good idea to try the antibiotics, I would increase the dosage. Dosage for amoxycillin and cephalexin for instance is 100mg/kg for birds, I would imagine the dosage for doxycycline is similar. In other words it is a dosage the same or more than we would take. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:21 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for that John.
This morning he is still alive. Gave him another dose. His droppings seem to be really normal, and I think the antibiotic has purged him. He is actually crowing this morning, but still laboured breathing.
He was eating well yesterday, have given him some pullet grower to eat, but not observed him eat - we're busy preparing for bushfires here on Sydney's north side, so a bit preoccupied. As I have now put him outside, he seems a bit preoccupied with where the hens are, so ignoring the feed at this stage.
Will up the dose.
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

He is eating and crowing, but still rasping breath.
Will see how it goes.
If indeed it is viral, I don't understand why any antibiotics will help (control of secondary bacterial infection?). Maybe that's what killed the hen?
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:28 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

How's he going Barry? Always a good idea to try the antibiotics even if you think it might be viral. Had a hen just this week with what I suspected was egg yolk peritonitis, fixed her with the antibiotics, you usually know within the first 24 hrs if they are going to work or not.

And you're right most vets don't seem to have the foggiest. Just a tip, I scrounge unused antibiotics from friends and family, saves a $200+ vet bill.