Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - chicken breathing hoarsely

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I noticed one of my chooks sounding as if she was asthmatic about 3 days ago. I thought she may have something in her throat and I know they have a great capacity for dealing with such an obstruction. I watched her and thought she was eating normally. However, she died yesterday. Her body weight was fine, I checked her for ticks, her bowel movements seemed normal.
would like advice on what was possibly the problem.
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi barrycon again.
This morning my rooster now has a raspy voice, just like the now-dead chicken. He is eating normally, just as she was. I've now isolated him with food and water, and given him about 10mgm doxycycline in water and thru a syringe (a human tab divided by `10)
Talking to a vet is pretty much useless, as they don't really know much about chickens.
I understand that if it is viral, there isn't much that can be done.
Any advice appreciated
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:12 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Sounds viral Barry, although a good idea to try the antibiotics, I would increase the dosage. Dosage for amoxycillin and cephalexin for instance is 100mg/kg for birds, I would imagine the dosage for doxycycline is similar. In other words it is a dosage the same or more than we would take. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:21 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for that John.
This morning he is still alive. Gave him another dose. His droppings seem to be really normal, and I think the antibiotic has purged him. He is actually crowing this morning, but still laboured breathing.
He was eating well yesterday, have given him some pullet grower to eat, but not observed him eat - we're busy preparing for bushfires here on Sydney's north side, so a bit preoccupied. As I have now put him outside, he seems a bit preoccupied with where the hens are, so ignoring the feed at this stage.
Will up the dose.
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

He is eating and crowing, but still rasping breath.
Will see how it goes.
If indeed it is viral, I don't understand why any antibiotics will help (control of secondary bacterial infection?). Maybe that's what killed the hen?
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:28 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

How's he going Barry? Always a good idea to try the antibiotics even if you think it might be viral. Had a hen just this week with what I suspected was egg yolk peritonitis, fixed her with the antibiotics, you usually know within the first 24 hrs if they are going to work or not.

And you're right most vets don't seem to have the foggiest. Just a tip, I scrounge unused antibiotics from friends and family, saves a $200+ vet bill.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

He is still going. A bit worried about getting the antibiotic into his lungs accidentally by syringing it into the throat. He is stronger today than yesterday - struggled and nearly pushed me off this afternoon while giving him a dose, and has seemed a bit distressed ever since. Hope he hasn't had a heart attack.
His crap looks quite normal. I am leaving his food and water with him and the light on overnight.
He is still wheezing , and coughing as though he has some mucous he needs to cough up.
Will see how he is in the morning.
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:33 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

He is still with us. The fishbox I put him in is quite cramped so will put him outside in a small enclosure, and monitor his food and water intake today. Not giving him antibiotics this morning to see if he manages to stop the gurgling; if he looks worse this arvo, will dose him then.
cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:58 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Why are you giving it in water or is it a suspension? Just had a look at Doxycycline, apparently it inhibits the growth of bacteria, but doesn't kill them, amoxycillin kills them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi
Am grinding it up and putting into 5mls water, then syringing it past his tongue. He's still alive tonight, but still sounds like he has whooping cough.
I gave him no tetracycline today at all, worried my syringing technique may give him pneumonia
His crap is smaller but looks normal; not sure just how much he has eaten today.
I now have a scrip for Keflex (just been savaged by a dermatologist) - is that any good?
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:02 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Yeah Barry Keflex looks good, it's actually cephalexin. Don't worry about grinding it up or breaking open a capsule, just pop it straight down his throat. He's probably 3-4kg so a 500mg tablet or capsule twice a day is fine. I've got a hen at the house at the moment, injured by a hawk, she's about 2.5kg and she's been on that dosage for the last 3 days and going well.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi John
Hadn't thought of just popping the cap in - will do that in the morning (if he's still with us). He hates the syringing for sure. He has a terrible gurgling, and the breathing is very laboured, but not as bad as 2 days back.
Have weighed his food so will check tonight before bed and again in the morning to see whether he has managed to eat anything.
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Have now given him the Keflex caps on the back of the tongue - works a treat!
However, he is not really eating, and have now made up some mash using pullet grower. He hasn't really taken to it yet.
I think he is taking some water.
Is there any particular way to get food into him, or any particular food he might take to?
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

A small amount of tinned cat (don't try dog) food generally tempts them, otherwise you could try mealworms, mince or frozen fruit or vegetables if it is hot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:39 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I've used the ricketts diet successfully, haven't always had all the ingredients but usually get close.viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7975135

Make it up so you can roll it in small balls, sit him on your lap, left arm around him, hand under his head, ball of food in right hand between fingers, pull on his wattles, beak opens and then pop in food, also a good way to give tablets.

You'll get there Barry. :thumbs: