Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - chicken breathing hoarsely

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:37 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for the advice - he actually ate some of the cat food as soon as I put it in the bowl. I put it on top of a serve of soaked-down layer pellets, made up this morning, which he hadn't yet touched.
He has had about 8-10 doses of antibiotics - am worried that too much might upset his stomach (which I may have already done by removing it from the capsules); should I discontinue them now or keep going? His craps are pretty wet, which I would take as a sign that he isn't getting much out of the little food he had eaten.
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:43 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Keep giving him the keflex twice a day for at least 5 days, if he looks like he's improving go for 7 days. Won't hurt him, more likely to die if you stop.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:41 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

He has started to eat some soaked down white bread; giving him a half-slice at a time. Putting in a couple of teaspoons of cat food with it - he's more keen on the bread than anything. Since yesty arvo, he's probably eaten 3 slices of bread all up.
His droppings now are quite green, which I presume is from non-resorbed bile (do bird resorb bile? Dunno).
His breathing is still laboured, but whooping cough - not so much.
Any suggestions regarding bread, and what I should feed him as or if the recovery continues?
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:17 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:hug
I guess at this stage you would be happy for him to eat anything at all..... Take care with bread, that it actually empties from his crop. You can 'improve' the bread by adding vitamins or whisked egg, or soaking meds into it. I hope he gets better soon. I understand how distressing it can be.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:45 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Multi grain would probably be better, try him on some natural yogurt they usually enjoy that, plus it will help his gut.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Unfortunately he died last night. He had struggled on for a whole fortnight.
Over the last few days, his breathing was very rattling; it sounded as though he had a throat full of mucous. His eating slowed off yesterday, although he was still taking water. His stools weren't as green in the last couple of days, but were very wet.
I was wondering whether I should have put him down much earlier - after a nasty infection of any sort, will a rooster ever come back as a good performer? This might sound terribly callous, but this is for my own education should something like this happen in the future.
Cheers
barrycon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:56 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Bad luck Barry, you tried hard, sometimes you win.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:05 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

so sorry, Barrycon.
I have asked myself the same question on a few occasions after a long struggle. It is also terrible when you think things are starting to pick up, but in reality it was the "last rally before the final decline".

Yet, despite that we always say "never again" , every time it happens, we do it all over. The only time lately that I have not is when the condition was definite, (e.g., I bought 3 chooks that developed Mareks during their quarantine period - - they were severe and were never going to make it, but it was obvious.....)

When you don't know what the problem is, how can you predict anything?

stay well.