Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Tapeworm Issue with Chicken -Need Advice

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:15 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi there, would really like some advice on eradicating a tapeworm issue.
I have 5 chickens -

(2 x Plymouth Rock 2months old)
(1 x Sussex 2 months old)
AND
(2 x Pekin Bantam Cross 4 months old)

It is one of my Pekin Bantam Cross that has a tapeworm issue since I picked her up from a produce shop which didn’t have the cleanest conditions in their cages. Just to put it into perspective as my coop I keep very clean! I noticed this from the white sesame egg segments in her droppings which I took to my vet. I treated her with Avitrol Plus Liquid wormer on 21st Dec 2019 as recommended by my vet... she pooped out a tapeworm within a few hours of drinking the water dosage was (25ml in 1 litre of water)
I was meant to treat again within 14 days but left it to 3 wks as my husband and I were away. Noticed new eggs in her droppings Friday 10th Jan and treated the entire flock “again” with same wormer on Saturday 11th Jan. Both times I have cleaned the coop out top to bottom 24hrs after worming. I know that they are reinfected by eating ants etc which is impossible to get rid of as my coop is new and concreted in. Main question: the first time I treated the wormer worked not only removing the parasite but she didn’t poop out the eggs after dosage of wormer. This time with second treatment she is currently still pooping out tapeworm cysts ... almost like she didn’t get enough of the wormer into her body to kill the adult again?? I rang the vet this morning and the lady is like just worm the entire flock again in 14 days time not now.... I said but why when the dose I gave all of them on Saturday clearly didn’t work on her if she is still dropping the egg cysts which just make it harder to get rid of tapeworm if flies and ants pick them up over the next 14 days.... I don’t want to treat them all again so close to the worming I did just 2 days ago but I guess I am not really sure what to do here! Any advice is great as this has started to cost a lot of money paying for new wormer and bedding etc...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi ChookladyAUS
Welcome to this forum.
I think this situation is likely to go on for a while. Worming treatments usually kill the live worm but not the undeveloped eggs. The repeat treatments are meant to be done a couple of weeks afterwards to give the eggs time to hatch. (and hopefully before new eggs are formed)
An animal or human with a long standing infection will have all stages of development in its gut. The second treatment may not have covered some stages. So, a third treatment and possibly a 4th might be needed until you stop noticing sesame poops.....

Also there is a very high probability that the birds are getting reinfected. It is really hard to kill off parasite ova in their environment, especially tapeworm. If you are in a drought affected area the local wildlife might also be struggling and so carrying a bigger load than usual, so the baseline might be higher.

My suggestions:
treat again at the interval recommended by the vet. Do not wait a day to clean the coop. Treat them, remove them to a clean place and do the coop straight away. Be prepared for a 4th round of treatment. Treating them directly rather than in the water is more guaranteed...... You never know whether they drink enough. Check the direct dose with the vet and give via small syringe into the beak. If you do it at night when they are dopey you should have an easier time..... You also need to weigh them.....
If you ever get other birds quarantine them for a few weeks before mixing them to your flock and do all those treatments before they are integrated.
After these treatments on your current flock, for your next quarterly one, change the treatment to another active ingredient so as to reduce formation of immunity of any remaining worms. I tend to use stronger treatments while they go off the lay in winter and use ones without egg with holding during the laying times.

You will probably never have parasite free birds either. Treating them quarterly reduces the worm burden and helps their immune system manage the rest and reduce the risk of illnesses caused by these pests. Seeing tapeworm segments does mean their infection is high, though.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:07 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi there,
Thankyou so much for your reply. I will do exactly as recommended and you are right it is very dry where we are. I noticed the last two days since I posted that the eggs in her poos have gone it is interesting parasite indeed.

Will keep you posted on how I go.

Thanks again.