Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - healthy hens dropping one by one

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:43 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

:help: hi, i have had 3 vorwerk hens for nearly a year and always been in great condition with good weights and appetites,never had any illnesses.just recently,one was dead in the morning,then 4 days later,another was dead ! now it was top chook and 2nd in charge that died.i have always used sugar cane mulch for the pens but this bale smelt slightly sour but i used it anyway,lately i just couldnt get any bales that were dry and fresh i got 2 previous and they both really smelt off and i took them back to produce store,it seems to be after a lot of rain so moisture must be getting in.the only other thing i can think of is i was keeping a big bag of scratch mix in a sulo bin in the backyard which would probably have heated up.i checked it,smelled it and it looked fine so do you think the sugar cane could be the culprit or the hot seed ? there was no visible mould or any problem i could see with the seed.its frustrating and worrying as im scared to check them every morning now.the crop on the dead birds was spongey and i noticed there was hardly any poo under theyre sleeping perch and no eggs for a week prior.i can rule out disease and egg binding.they are due to be wormed next month.i did notice the night before the 2nd one died,she was walking and moving very slow as if she had some pain somewhere but had been active and normal that morning.looks like theyve eaten something sinister but theres no baits used or anything i can see in the coop.ive kept chooks in there for 11 years with no problems.has anyone had a similar experience or maybe think of something it could be ?
thankyou all

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:50 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Sorry to hear this, nothing worse than seemingly healthy birds dying.

After what you have said about the mulch, aspergillosis could be a candidate, a couple of links here, note that some birds show few symptoms. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8022040 https://todaysveterinarypractice.com/ma ... eeds-know/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:52 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

thanks squeaker,seems like something like that,since taking out most of the mulch and chucking the seed the surviving one seems fine.i really want to put something down on the dirt floor but im nervous about it now :aaargh:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:17 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

another one gone this morning so took the body to the vet for a post mortem, i need to find out what is claiming all my girls :-(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Well results are back and I can’t believe it, all they found was a lot of roundworms so I feel really bad for them as it was preventable deaths.despite the fact i worm them 4 monthly with wormout tabs so I don’t know how they could have got such a bad infestation like that.i will now worm with a follow up a few weeks later

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Don't beat yourself up Karlisa, I can't recall any posts on here over a lot of years, about round worms killing several chooks in a short period of time. Especially when they have been wormed regularly.

Good chance they died of something else

Did an avian vet do the autopsy?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:24 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi squeaker,
it was done at the exotic animal hospital at camden,they do specialize in birds.i have yet to speak to the vet in depth as he was not in again till monday.i know birds with heavy worm burdens are usually scruffy,under weight etc mine were heavy and looked pristine.anyway if i was to lose another then i would know it wasnt worms as the 2 newer birds are in that pen and have been wormed a few days ago and i'll do them again in about 2-3 weeks.if i lose another i will be giving up on keeping chooks if a vet cant diagnose the problem.but hopefully he is right.