Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Blood, torn Comb's and one eye gone

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

This afternoon I fed all my stock ( I have 4 pens and a yard ) I let one pen out a day so there is no fights. Today's lot was the bantams my son has here. In my orchard yard there is two pens, one holds my plymouth rock X's Raymond the rooster got out when I went in the yard to put food in their dish and collect eggs. He usually comes back in but my son arrived here from work and I had to drive him home to his place (long story) Usually Raymond goes back in with his girls and as it was late (almost dark) I didn't worry and was gone approximately 10 minutes. When I came back I went to lock up the bantams and Raymond only to find that Raymond was up in my big pen over in the paddock with Stanley my Welsummer Rooster underneath him on his back. I ran up the paddock with my rake and beat him off and he tried having a go at me then. So I beat him some more and ran back to his yard swearing at me all the way. ( I swear he was swearing at me ) :shock: I picked up poor old Stanley and found him to be covered in blood with his comb under his neck all torn off in place and his top comb torn in half. He was breathing erratically but protesting that I should put him down. I put him down only for him to collapse over to his side. He attempted to get up but only managed to limp on one leg. I picked him up and put him in one of the nest boxes in the shed with plenty of hay. He seemed happy to be there. Then I went looking for Barney my light Sussex rooster ( you've seen pictures of him on here somewhere) he was no where to be found. I called him and he cluck clucked and I found him under an old boat we have in the paddock. My beautiful boy has now only got one eye and a badly torn comb as well. He was very sad and cuddled up to me ( I handreared him and he's very quiet). I cleaned them both up as well as I could and put them to bed for the night. The poor bantams were all cowering up in the back of their shed and I locked them up. Meanwhile Raymond is strutting around like he's the king. I've got news for him and it's all bad. He's going to be stew by the weekend. I have pure bred Dark and Light barred Plymouth Rocks in the incubator due to hatch thurs/fri and I'm sure there will be a lovely boy to replace him!! :twisted: He's been wanting to get to those boys for a proper fisty cuffs for a long time now and finally got his chance. He's fought through the wire with them before but this time he actually flew over the fence into the yard to get to them.
Looloo if you read this ...is betadine okay for the cuts on the roosters. That's all I had and only used a small amount on them. I'll have to keep a good eye on Barney to make sure he doesn't get an infection in that eye socket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:19 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oh Darrs...how dreadful..wow he is a vicious roo to do that much damage...certain breeds are more fiesty than others...Betadine is ok for the external wounds...I bath areas with warm salty water..then apply the spray on betadine that I bought from a stock supply store..just easier than trying to dab it on...However as far as the eye is concerned...I would only use a saline solution from the chemist(you can get little plastic squeeze canisters that contain a small sterile amount to be used all at once..always use a freshly opened one each time you bath the eye) in this area...very sensitive area...also infection worries me...I would probably give him a course of antis...

Antibiotic ointment/drops that may help your bird..
Garamycin
Gentocin
Chloramphenicol
Darrsy just ask your vet what one would be the best to use in this situation...for the eye..

Also Darrs..they will be in a state of shock...so electrolites are a must...
Electrolytes are made up of calcium, chloride, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium and sodium. When dissolved in water they split and become electrically charged particles (ions) that transmit electrical impulses which in turn helps control and regulate the body's hydration and the acid/base balance. When you (or a chook) gets sick or stressed these are the chemicals that are lost, especially in diarrhea. It's the same kind of stuff that Gatorade has in it. So that's why the sports people drink it...you will be able to get sachets to mix up from the chemist.

An aspirin in their water will help with pain relief as well...not sure of exact dosage though....Metacam is a pain reliever used for birds...just check this also with your vet...

So to recap...shopping list

Chemist..
Saline used for bathing
Electrolit sachets.
Betadine spray..
Vet
antibiotic drops or ointment for injured eye.
Pain reliever..Metacam?

Darrs..needless to say keep your poor boys quite and warm and give them lots of TLC.
I hope this helps you.
Cheers
Loo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:46 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thank you Looloo,
Fortunately i've got betandine spray, electrolytes(we've had the bad gastric that's going around) and I always keep saline solution in my first aid kit.
I've assessed the birds early this morning.(didn't stop them crowing) Stanley is limping badly, I'll have to wait until my hubby gets home so I can check him over properly as we need 4 hands he's quite large!! He's eating happily but not doing his business with the girls :oops: I think he might be too sore. It looks to me like he has no toe nails on the foot he's limping on. I suspect it's somewhere up high on the leg though.
Barney just loves his cuddles though so he wanted me to pick him up this morning and I checked out his eye. I've just been up with the saline now to clean it. It's very bloody (dried up) and swollen but there's still an eye there. It looks scratched and blood shot so i've cleaned it up a bit. Have you ever done this? They shake their head and I copped wet all over my face. But I love my Barney so I didn't mind :? I've cleaned up his comb and he seems okay. But i've now separated the pair into the hay shed to have quiet and rest and the electrolytes in some water. I've also mixed up the Rickets mix to give them a bit of a boost until I go to town this afternoon to get some antibiotics from the Vets. I'll keep you posted on their progress. As for the other :evil: rooster. He's had a reprieve if he behaves. First sign of nuiscance and it's OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:14 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Darrs...sounds like you have all bases covered....oh the joys of being splattered with blood ugh!! :lol: yes its happened to me to...never the less we do love them...
I am glad to hear that your roo still has his eye...the antis will check any infection from happening...Its good that you have the other stuff on hand...we should all have a first aid kit handy for times like these....It must be the week for chook fights...I to had a ruffed up roo to clean up this am..in the frost and in my PJS before work :oops: :lol: :lol: what a sight...but thats the way it goes...
Cheers
Loo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:22 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Looloo,

Regarding an emergency kit...that is a really good idea. Maybe if some of our more experienced members could make up a list of stuff that we really should keep on hand just in case.

That would probably help out us beginners a lot.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:11 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Jocler...ok I have posted some ideas that Sandy from Happy Hen House uses...this has everything you will need in an emergency...its in Good Samaritan Centre under Emergency First Aide Kit...
Cheers
Looloo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:29 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Looloo,

I have printed off the list and will reaarange the boxes I have for the horses.

I am sure the information will help many of us beginners in the poultry world.

Cheers and many thanks for the time you have put in.

J