Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What is happening to my babies?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:06 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hey,

Can somebody please tell me by the following 3 cases of sudden death, what the heck is happening to my most beloved babies ( my birds)

Case #1- 7/7/06 I find one of my infamous 5 sisters (silkyXgame) bantams on her side dead and stiff on the floor beneath the roost. Feet tucked under body, so stiff impossible to move legs/wings. Only symptom i noticed prior to death; her leaning on her side. Seeming it looked wrong i touched her and she got up and ran and i thought nothing was wrong. That was the night before i found her dead.

Case#2- 12/7/06 I check my birds, feed them and come back to check on my mixed quail pen 5mins after and find orange Jap quail cock dead on his side on the floor by a rock. This wasn't the first time and i went on thinking that quail must just drop suddenly in their frightful/nervy nature. I hope i am right

Case#3- This afternoon I check on my new RIR bantam pullets and find one of my black SilkyXgame dead in the similar fashion of her aunt in case #1. Exactly the same.

These occurences have me worried and if i cannot get to the bottom of it then i will sell my beloved birds and find a hobby less heartbreaking and dramatic. These problems are costly and are taking their toll on me mentally. Now i go to my pens expecting a dead bird to be their. I can't live with it. HELP BEFoRE IT GETS TOO LATE :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:42 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi JJ...oh dear..I would suspect poisening! when chooks die suddenly without any other symptoms...it points to poisening especially more than one bird...

You will have to do a complete check of all surrounds in the pen/yard/roost etc...where ever they go day and night...they could be getting into something chemical...Are there any products you have used around the place lately?Herbicides? Any sprays? Algae poisening...infected dirty water supply??Lime or sulphur poisening..Toads? Mercury?Coal Tar?Antifreeze solution?Salt is excess in water areas? Oh the list is long..that is why it is important to do a yard check...
Have you sprayed their quarters lately with a insect spray or surface spray?
Also...where do you store their feed? Is the feed wet? If it has got wet it grows mould and this is toxic to chooks...If you do find wet feed...throw it out and start with a dry container and newly purchased feed...it is very important to store the feed in an area that does not come into contact with rain and damp conditions...I store mine under my car garage in large plastic bins with sealed lids..

Think when this started...where you using anything around that time?What about the neighbours??
I really feel for you JJ...this is very distressing when something like this is happening...you will have to get the the bottom of it or your will probably loose more birds...
I hope this gives you ideas of what to look for...I really think it is poisening.
Loo :(

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:03 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hey Looloo,

I'll try the water containers. if that doesn't work I quit. My chooks are causing trouble at home in my grandmas gardens and I can't lock them up in the small area given. I have had enough, I just wish that something would go right for me in the avain world. I should try breeding something worthwhile and worth the money. Because my chooks are worth none of it. My only hope now is showing but the future looks bleak. :(

Thanks,

JJ

Post subject: Don't give up yet
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:07 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hello JJ I know how difficult it is too when you lose a beloved bird and as Murphy's Law would aways have it -- if it could be any of them , it has to be the wong one .

Unfortunately it is the downside of any animal / bird keeping that things like this happen and it is not always anyone's fault .We can read that you love your babies and do everything in your power to look after them.

The upside is that they bring so much pleasure - and give us eggs as a bonus.It is a great hobby and as much as this distressed you especially if it is the first time you have lost any chookies and birds it will get better.I am a grandma and was sobbing for days after I lost my first chicken but now I have to accept it as part of "farming " .They are a bit more complicated than a cat or dog but just as lovely as pets.

If you read the posts even the most experienced still have mishaps and deaths and even worse have to put some down.That I cannot do myself but delegate to hubby.

Maybe if their space is a bit small and they are getting into mischief it may be a smaller number might be better anyhow ?
Cheer up dear and take a big breath and be assured that we have all felt the same at times and think about what you would really like to do after the emotion has settled a bit .Loo loo's advice might just uncover the mystery if you find something in the yard , I hope so anyhow

Cheers Muddilyn :)

Post subject: Ok
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:45 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hey muddilyn and looloo,

You guys are right I should not over despair. Chooks stay (obviously) Swept out pen thoroughly, got new water containers and no i sit and wait and hope for the best. On a plus side my large group of 52 chooks is being split into breeds groups. Group (A) trio of lavender araucana bantam, a black n white araucana pullet, a white pullet, a large lavender pullet and a araucanaXindian game hen. Group (B) My 7 isa hens, 4 sussex hens, 5 silkyXgame hens, a pair of OEG, a barnevelder pullet, a plymouth rock hen, two leghorn bantam hens and a leghorn x game pullet. Group (C) a quad of buff silkies, a black and a white silky X hens, a yellowy coloured silky pullet and a silkyXgame pullet. Group (D) 5 RIR bantam pullets, one of the same but a hen, her three sons (two to be sold). Well I think the left outs 9those i haven't mentioned will just go with B. see there is a positive to the deaths that have happened, i have realised. How can I breed pure poultry if all my birds are mixed, it would just disturb the cycle.

thanks,
JJ