Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - prolapse vent - how to fix?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:23 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

One of my pullets has a prolapse vent from laying an egg. I have pushed it back in 3 times today, but it continues to pop back out soon afterwards. My biggest fear is that the flies will get to her as the weather warms up. She is an important breeder, so I dont want to give her the chop just yet. Any ideas?

Andy.V

Post subject: Prolapse Vent
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:13 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Andy I probably can't tell you anything you do not already know. We have this problem occasionally with our Minorcas, as they lay a very large egg normally. I must say if it has occurred three times today the prognosis is not good. The old fashioned remedy was to wash the protruding entrail with lukewarm water just coloured with permanganate of potash, dust it lightly with powdered alum and then put it back in place. Unfortunately when it is done repeatedly the vent seems to lose its elasticity, and cannot withstand any internal pressure without inverting. I hope you can save her,as we all know the value of a good breeding hen. good luck.

granpa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:26 am 

Hi Andy,

Some people have had some success with sugar. Apparently, you just sprinkle the sugar liberally over the prolapse and it shrinks the tissues.

Unfortunately, as Granpa says, once it's popped out a few times, the area does lose the elasticity and the hen faces a sad end, I'm afraid. :(

Vicky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:57 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Andy this is a worry...here is some info

First line of defence – Treatment:

Chickens that show signs of prolapse can be helped by preventing them laying. However, if there is any small prolapse gently push it back into the chicken with your fingers. The chicken should then be put on a maintenance diet of wheat and water and put in a dark cage. Leave the hen there for a week.

In severe prolapse a purse suture and maintenance diet with the chicken kept in the dark, as above, works well. However, it is important to restrict the chickens diet to maintenance only for possibly a couple of months. This does work!! Alternative to maintenance diet is feeding the chicken enough to keep it alive, moving and keeping warm plus enough extra feed for it to produce eggs.

You may find that by reducing the feed it brings on a forced molt

By reducing feed intake so that the bird has just enough feed to keep it alive, moving and keeping warm you are feeding for maintenance only. The chicken will not lay eggs and so give it the best chance of recovery.

Treatment:
You can try to push the prolapse organs back in, very carefully
First, remove the hen immediately from the flock to prevent cannibalism
Clean the prolapse organ
Which will have become dirty
Use warm water and a very mild soap
Smear with a lubricating jelly like Vaseline and very gently push the prolapsed organs back into the body cavity

Isolating the bird and reduce the feed to try and stop her laying
She more than likely she has another egg already moving down the oviduct
The next egg laid could cause another prolapse

Helping to prevent further damage when a hen is prolapsed
1. Reducing swelling and allowing the muscles to contract
2. Preventing a yeast infection
3. Preventing them laying
4. If there is any small prolapse gently push it back into the chicken with your fingers
5. Put the hen on a maintenance diet of wheat and water
6. Put in a dark cage to stop the laying cycle (5 days to 2 months (severe case))
7. In severe prolapse a purse suture may be need to the cloaca

Wash area with sterile water and using preparation-H (this is an ointment used for humans who have piles or hemaroids)
Coat the extended portion in and around the vent area.
Preparation -H reduces the swelling tissue and thus allows the tissue to recede.

If the bird is left in this condition, the other birds will peck at her, and she will become infected and fly blown, die from loss of blood or blood poisoning
You should cull the bird immediately if this happens.
Hope everything goes ok.
Looloo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Andy

Haven't had this problem with chooks but have had with cows.

As stated above wash it with a little dettol and warm water, use ky jelly as it's water based unlike vaseline which is petroleum based. With Cows we usually put a stich or two in place simply to make the hole smaller and less likely to happen again.

Kepp her warm and lower the food ration the calmer the animal the better regardless, you need to avoid them getting stirred up and therfore contracting muscles.

Good Luck Andy.

Cheers

Robyn

Post subject: Vent
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:09 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Andy, when I wa at the Pet Expo, one of the Plymouth Rock Hens did this. Mark and I putthe vent back in place but the next day she tried to put out three more eggs as hshe was backed up and the vent too small. What we should have done was snip the vent slightly to open it up as was is done for humans when bbies heads are too large. Sewing up later won't be reequired but you'll find that after healing , there will be less pressure on the vent as there will be more room for passage.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:03 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Sad situation Andy.
These measures may work but if she is primarily a breeder you may need to consider if she will be able to lay without any troubles.
:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:17 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

It's not a very good situation for one of your hens to be in. Even if you do manage to save her the first time it will inevitably happen again, so its probably best to put her down. Also, this condition is most deffinately inherited as I have found some strains more prone to prolapse so you wouldn't want to breed from her anyway as there is a chance that her offspring will also have a prolapse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:01 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If all the directions above to do with washing and replacement etc, then the vent snipped slightly to allow for the passage, a reoccurence should be less likely. The cause is the pullet is either laying large eggs or has inherited a vent that is too small or not elastic enough for passage. This should stop the pullet from pushinh too hard or the vent being forced out, not only by the current egg but the ones immediatey following looking for more space themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:42 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Thanks for all the advice and experiences for pullet with prolapse vent. I took an extreme measure, hopefully for the better. I chopped off the protruding flesh a couple of weeks ago. She looks to have made a great recovery, and vent looks good from the outside. I am not sure of any long term damage for future breeding, so will keep you all posted. I only did this as a last resort, as her condition didn't improve, and I couldn't let her go on the way she was.

Andy.V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:09 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

The pullet with the prolapsed vent which was cut off is now laying again. She is back in the breeding pen, so I will soon find out if she is barron, or fertile.

I guess I have proved that a hen can function without the main muscle of the cloaca. :wink:

Andy.V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:56 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Congartulations on your success! I reckon I couldn't do it myself.I was just wondering was she anaesathized at all and what post op care does a chicken need? I am constantly amazed by all the remedies I read on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:59 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Glad to hear that she is on the mend Andy. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:51 pm 

Just wanted to add my experience for anyone out there dealing with a prolasped chicken.

My silver spangled hamburgh had a bad prolapse and after reading all the advice on here I began washing her every day in sugar water and also put a little bit of tea tree oil in the water as a antibiotic. I tried numerous times to put the prolapse back in but it would never stay there. I also started putting ointment on the prolapse to try to prevent it from drying out, but after five days of this I had not seen any improvement and was beginning to loose hope...The prolapse had dried out completely and I thought it would never be able to be fixed....

But then on the six day I was bathing her and the dried up outer part of the prolapse came off! I was so surprised. Underneath was the nice pink and healthy part of the prolapse which I then pushed back in and it stayed in! This was four weeks ago now and Bernadette the chicken is healthy and happy again, she has not layed again yet and that will be the next challenge for her, but I am hopefully she going to be healthy and happy for a good while longer :)

So if you have a prolapse heres a few tips
-Bath in sugar water, but be sure to use LOTS of sugar, you want a saturated solution.
-Honey is good to put on the prolapse because it will help shrink it and also act as an antibiotic.
-I found haemorrhoid didn't work that well, the sugar and honey shrank the prolapse better and there is a chance of over dosing a chook on haemorrhoid cream.
-do remove the chook and put it in a nice warm dark environment as per the previous instructions
-Most importantly don't give up! I was at the point of putting my chook down and then a miracle happened! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

hi, I also got lucky with prolapse treatment viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7996367
Luckily she was a broody breed. Putting her in a dark cage made her go broody and I kept her broody for a number of weeks and she raised some young. All up I think she was off the lay for 3 months. She is now laying again and very happy another 4 months down the track and no problems (fingers crossed :thumbs: )