Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - eggs from sick hen....dangerous to eat?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:31 pm 
Clucky Hen
Clucky Hen

A few months back I treated a hen with antibiotics for a respiratory illness and she recovered quite well but not completely - she was left with a permanent wheeze and a weepy eye - she's obviously not completely healthy but is still laying and eating. I don't know which eggs are hers in the nests, and because I've been hoping my hens will go broody I haven't collected any eggs for some time. I decided today to throw out all the old eggs as the hens obviously weren't going to sit on them, but now I'm worried about eating the eggs because of this particular hen's illness. I'm loathe to say it, but is there a humane way to get rid of her (for the sake of the family's health)? Any suggestions??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:00 pm 
Week Old duckling
Week Old duckling

wheezing & weepy eyes ? to me spells - INFECTIOUS CHORISA
Best bet is to put terramicine in the water, also inject terramicine under the skin of the breast.
You may be too late to do this but do try!
Also go buy some vitamin suppliment from yuour localstock agent, add to the water!
One thing that I have found is that if you do not attack the problem quickly then you will lose birds!
Bruffy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:01 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi Newchook this is what I would do...Can you get hold of some Tylan 200 from the vets? It is the best thing for CRD...Chronic Respiratory Disease...this is the fastest way to treat your hen...her signs point to CRD...wheezing and weepy eyes,sneezing..also they can run a temp with this and really feel sick...There is no need to dispose on the hen..Seperate her from all the others and treat with the Tylan200..this is given by injection that you can do yourself...the dosage goes on body weight...it will cost you around $40 for a bottle that will treat many different types of infections with a shelf life of about a year....It works much better then other antis and is very fast acting if caught early...Tylan is injected into muscle only ..I find the breast muscle to easiest to find to do this...
I do not use the eggs of any sick hen when it is being given any medication, however once the hen is well again you can use the eggs..
One thing to keep in mind though is that once a chook gets CRD they are carriers of this for life, so you wouldn't want to breed from this hen at any time. Hope this helps
Cheers
Looloo