Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Colloidal Silver

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colloidal Silver
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:00 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi All,
I just wondered if anyone out there with more organic tendancies, have ever used or considered using colloidal silver as a preventative anti-bacterial for their poultry :?: :roll:
I know it's very effective and non-toxic for people....My partner and I have a swig of it daily to keep the nasties away. My partner makes it himself, which makes it very cheap to use.
Of course the health shops charge outrageously for a product that is actually very cheap to produce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi Cackle Berry,

I use Colloidal Silver with my animals. Oh and i agree, outrageous prices on the commercially packaged stuff - but you can buy your own home kits very readily now.

I do not give it to them as a 'regular dose', but in times of stress or illness i find it quite effective.

It makes an excellent eye wash, for just cleaning out dust/debris or if there is an actual infection - i have used it in this way on chooks, dogs, cats and budgie :)

I have also used it for its antibactierial properties with chooks with colds - a few drips on the beak at intervals - (along with other natural remedies) and had good results.

I just find it quite a useful thing to have on hand..

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:56 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Colloidal Silver has been discussed in this forum before.

If you're drinking this stuff ......

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=3470&highlight=colloidal

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=3467&highlight=colloidal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:13 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, controversy has surrounded the use and benefits or not of colloidal silver for years.
It's just recently that formal clinical studies have been conducted and do in deed show that silver is a powerful antibacterial agent, that kills harmful germs and reduces the risk of infection. Elastoplast have produced a bandaid called 'SilverHealing'.
Applied topically,it sounds like a sure thing. As a preventative, I think the jury is still out...... :shock: :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:42 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Cackle Berry. I am interested that this subject has come up again. The previous posts demonstrate the range of opinions about Colloidal Silver. I used it with no ill effect as a preventive anti-bacterial with my last lot of chicks. They were very healthy except for the runt, who died (I think of cocci after access to ground the older chooks had been on, and before I realised what was going on and treated him correctly). He may have died anyway, being always undersize and slow to develop. Hard to say if the colloidal silver helped the others - they did not succumb to cocci after the same exposure (although I did switch them to medicated feed then). The nay sayers have me worried - I don't use it myself - but I probably would use it again with chicks. It was Jade Woodhouse who put me onto it for that purpose originally. The eye wash sounds good...haven't had a need for that yet.I'd be interested in any other experience of using it for chookies. Re the cost - I used such tiny quantities I think the bottle will last me a lifetime...will it keep for that long or should I buy fresh each year? Cheers, Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:44 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Judy,
The colloidal silver should keep provided you have dispensed it correctly. Can you tell me how much you would use in drinking water for the chickens. As a beginner I haven't been able to source definite information about that as yet. I'm erring on the side of caution presently and just using a few drops.....Thanks Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:14 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Cackle Berry. Jade Woodhouse (Organic, Happy Healthy Chooks, Natural Backyard Chook Keeping) is my source for using colloidal silver as a preventive medicine for chicks. She recommends: "on day 7, add one lid of colloidal silver to their drinking water. Continue to do this every week until they are 6 weeks old. Also add kelp and molasses to their drinking water on a weekly basis." She goes on to add other detail about herbs and worm treatment. (You can order her book online - self published and inexpensive). As Jade does not specify the size of drinker she uses, I only used one drop per chick in a 1 litre drinker. All my chooks get a small dose of powdered kelp in their daily mash and a molasses mash once a week, so the chicks had this also, at a reduced amount. Hope this helps, Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:17 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oh I forgot to say...the colloidal silver I have is in a dark glass bottle, kept in a dark cupboard, and it has a dropper in the lid. I am always careful not to contaminate the dropper by touching it with anything, so it just goes straight back into the bottle after dispensing the required number of drops. So you think it will still be active and fresh after a year? Thanks, Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:17 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Judy,
That's great. It does pay to get the correct information as far as dosage is concerned. I know one of the side effects of over consumption in people is constipation.......Don't know if it's possible to constipate a chook..... :lol:
The colloidal silver will be absolutely fine to the bottom, as you are doing the right thing with dispensing and storage. Under these conditions, it is very stable.
Thanks for the info regarding reading material.
There is another excellent reference book available called 'Backyard Poutry Naturally' by Alanna Moore, which I am attempting to borrow from the UWA library. Cheers, Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:14 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I also have Alanna Moore's book, which I've found helpful. Actually I've got a collection of chook books, each of which has something different to offer. I often have to look in all of them to find something...but BYP still has the best day to day practical tips :) . I agree with you about the importance of dosage. I did email Jade a few times checking dosages for things she mentions in her book. She was most generous in replying with that information. She runs hands-on courses at her farm also...you can check the website. Cheers, Judy