Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Heat Stress Signs Symptoms and Fixes

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cooling
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:12 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ive got a huge old fridge i fill with lettuce leaves .I give the chooks some late at night .They peck at it a bit but its there at first light .Chooks are up well before me .
Most hot days they get some icey lettuce to cool them down .

plenty of shadey places is best grapevines and fruit trees over yards are great .Cooling in summer then let sun in to warm the house in winter ..

Wont be long we will be complaining how cold it is .Relax enjoy the warmth ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:00 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Well so far so good not one loss (touch wood) in 13 Days of 40+ degrees of weather - even with our over night low of 31.2!!

My chooks are made for watermelon and frozen veggies - I bought a few mixed bags of frozen stuff from Woolies for $1.98 each which they get a half bag every day. We have a local growers market here and I just get a full watermelon and cut it into quarters and keep it in the fridge (or freezer if I have room) and the chooks go mad for it.

Other than that I give the girls iced water 3 times a day (I freeze old yoghurt containers) and in the morning I throw buckets of water on the floor where they hunker down. I find letting them out as the sun comes up lets them get some free range time.

I have 2 broody coops on my back varandah and I can only bring in the tiny chicks (now 3 weeks and not soo tiny) and the 8 week old stays outside but I cover her coop with wet cloths and re-wet the cloths every hour or so - she also has a constant supply of ice water.

I tell you what - its tough having chooks sometimes - before the day of the chook it would be me refusing to go outside in the heat now it is me braving the heat for my girls! :roll:

So far so good - 3 of the girls are still galantly laying for me every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

glad to hear you are coping----another option buy a whole stack of chook diapers and bring them inside with you, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ok, probably not practical but what the heck, cheers pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:06 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

we are about the same as you Teela with weather its always hotter here than Adelaide forcast and the rain seems to miss us lol the weird thing is Im getting used to it and when I go see my folks in Adelaide I have to take a jumper !
Our chooks are doing well as they free range over an acre so they find their own spots... even if it is bathing in the enviro tank run off :roll: