Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - STICK FAST !!!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STICK FAST !!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:08 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

i'VE READ MOST POST AND IT SEEMS EVERYONE IS USING IVOMECTIN OR MOXYDECTIN to get rid of the stick fast pests :transform: , but i have been told to use malloy wash ( incorrect spelling ) but i have found it to be really smelly and i feel it's way to toxic for the chooks. Does anyone still use this or is it bad to use?
How long should i wait untill I collect the eggs for incubation after i've sprayed?
any help will help :roll:

Post subject: Re: STICK FAST !!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:26 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Both the birds and the environment need treating, as they live on the bird, and eggs and larvae can also be on the ground. They are a serious nuisance to the birds and quite difficult to get rid of. There are a lot of different products that can be used to treat the bird. Some people suffocate the fleas with olive oil or baby oil, but most find it easier to use moxidectin or ivermectin. The coop and floors need spraying, especially if you have dirt floors as the larvae live on it. The cages, pens, perches and surrounds should also be treated by spraying with a solution of Malawash (Maldison), or Pyrethrum, or Permethrin, or CoopX etc. Some people prefer not to use the Malawash and choose one of the others as it is quite a toxic chemical. The Permethrin or the Pyrethrum are good choices. There are plenty to choose from, and I'm sure you're local produce store will carry something that is suitable. All the litter needs replacing after you spray.

There's a lot of information about stickfast fleas in this thread. Have a read through.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8196&hilit=stick+fast

The witholding period for eggs depends on which product you use. Read the manufacturer's instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:46 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

A multi pronged attack is neccasary.

Moxidectin is a good internal drench, however if you cant get accsess to this or afford it (it is only sold in large quantities) try large dog frontline- 3 drops under the wing, once a week for 6 weeks.

I used Deris Dust (cabbage dust) On their faces 2nd daily for a few weeks, to get new hatchling numbers down. This is available from bunnings or most nurseries.

I sprayed the coop out with diluted Maldison (as per the manufacturers instrucstions) and a pyrethrum solution. We keep the chooks out of the pens all day when we are doing this. We are going to keep retreating 2nd weekly to keep the problem under control. Maldison is also available at bunnings/ nurseries. It is the active ingredient in products designed to kill tree borers among other products, just have a squiz at the label for the active ingredient and you will find something..

The problem with bathing poultry in Maldison is that you really can't get it on their heads- which i where most of the fleas are. If they injest even a small amount, they usually die. Plus if it gets in their eyes it can send them blind.

We used Maldison wash for the fleas about 10 years ago. It sure got rid of the fleas but it killed 50% of the flock as well. It seems to be particularly toxic to ducks.

Other people seemed to have bathed successfully in Maldison, but just from personal expeierience, I won't use it again.

Hope this helps

Have a good day
Teeni

The proble

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:45 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for the info.

So this is my story!!
I was recently given some silkies and it was when I was shifting them that I noticed the stick fast, they were truly hidden under the fluff on there head and they wern't even around there eyes as that is what I was watching for.

So I had the Malawash so I sprayed the coop + ( everything ) which was diluted as per instructions and I thought I would dab some on her head with a tissue to knock the stickys on the head untill I got some other stuff and as soon as I put it on she convincinly played DEAD I thought i'd killed her it was horriable so I tryed to wash it of and I put some vasiline on her for the time being.
She looks fine this morning but i'm worried that some got in her eyes and mounth so is Malawash the same a Maldison? and has any of your chooks played dead?thanks
Renae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Mine has played "dead" before. But if I watch a bit longer is seems they were only dust bathing which was a relief.
I don't know how many times I rushed down the back to check on a chook only for them to get up and come to me thingking I had food.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:03 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes Malawash is Maldison (or Malathion). Don't get it down their throats, or in their eyes.

Be careful when using it. They recommend only to iuse it in a well ventilated area - so you don't breathe the fumes. Obviously inside a coop you just have to be quick and hold your breath. :D Use gloves and wash your hands, arms etc immedately after you use it - same as with any insecticides.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

ok thanks for that just one more thing is Pyrethrum powder better for the chooks if so how does anyone avoid their eyes? Do you spray the chooks with Ivermectin / Moxidectin to kill stick fast or is it only a wormer given in oral drops?
Thanks
Renae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:32 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

That's what's great about moxidectin and ivermectin. It's either absorbed internally, or through the drops on the skin. Then it affects anything that lives on the blood of the bird (well, except tapeworm that is). So if you use moxidectin you don't have to put anything on the fleas themselves, although you could still put an oil like vaseline on there to suffocate them as well. That won't hurt their eyes.

You can use the sprays easily on the bird's body, in coops and in pens.

You don't spray with Moxidectin. It comes in two forms, the one that goes in the water, and the other one which is called a pour-on which is sometimes labelled Cydectin and a few drops are put on the skin. These are oil-based, so don't put the pour-on types into the water.

When I've had a really bad infestation I've used Maldison or permethrin on the pens and cages, and then pestene on most of the bird's body, then Cydectin drops on the back of the neck. I used the Pestene dust because I knew it would give instant relief, and the Cydectin works over a few days to get any that I missed - perhaps in the head area where I couldn't put the powder close enough.

Pick your own poison. Whatever you choose to use, treat the environment with a spray, and also treat the parasites on the bird's body.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:12 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ok thanks alot for that!! :mrgreen:

I know WHATS WHAT now

I was a bit confused about what to put and where, I can't thank you enough

Like people have said one day u see one and the next thing you know there's an army to kill so i'll get to it now again thanks for your time
Regards
Renae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:33 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

If any of your birds have stick fast on their comb... eye lids or any other part of the face.. use olive oil... just put your finger into a bottle of olive oil and rub the stick fast flea.. its dead in 24 hours and fallen off... no harm to the birds at all... and then treat them all with Moxidectin in their drinking water so they all get enough for their body weight..

Spray the ground with Coopex.. and they should be gone.. you will have to keep an eye on the birds eyes ... wattles.. combs... but in particular the eye lids as that is where they love to get.. just a light smear of olive oil and its all fixed...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

i have just been put on to a pour on called swift its a horse insecticide around $30 per bottle just put 3 or 4 drops behind head and 2 under each wing i had a couple of birds with stick fast heavy put on ain the evening and they were gone next morning you have to be careful using the same drench each year as mites etc will build up an immununity to the active ingredients as has happened in sheep and cattle in thew past only problem with this drench it is not licensed for fowls so dont know withholding periods for meat or eggs but it is no difference for ivomec it is not recommendedfor poultry i am using it on my breeding birds know it is not a wormer as is ivermectin