Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chemical Castration of Roosters

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:21 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

If you're looking to control an already-crowing rooster, DrJodie in the previous pages has indicated that it only works if you provide the implant before they start crowing.

If they're already crowing, it'll control fertility and potentially dampen down potentially aggressive behaviour, but it won't be able to do much about the crowing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

How much does it cost per rooster?

And hope you don't mind an off topic question since cats were mentioned, are there any short term contraceptive methods for female cats? Only reason I ask is I have some girls to desex but cant afford to get them done all at once, and want to make sure they dont get preggers while waiting. Their farm cats so are not locked in all the time as that defeats the purpose of them, except when on heat they are kept in, but an accident happened when I was away in sydney and my mum let them out. Both are getting desexed and some of the kittens, I got the desexing discount vouchers for pensioners but I still can only do one at a time. Ive seen on dogs (bitches) these pants... lol and heard about contraceptives but not sure if it was for males or females.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

As Jodie said, it will vary from clinic to clinic. But $80 - 120 sounds about right.

As for your cats Sarah, speak to your local vet about Ovarid tablets. They are not great to use long term as they increase the risk of life-threatening uterine infections. But they can be a cheap alternative while you save up for the speying.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:04 am 
Wise Gobbler
Wise Gobbler

I'm sceptical of this because of the many cases reported of hens attempting to crow in the absence of any roosters.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Curious, what kinds of parrots have people brought in? Im a breeder but most of my 'pet' parrots have been female, not by choice just coincidence. Only pet male i have is a hand raised budgie, but he behaves. My female ringneck I can't walk near her and she goes into mating position and clucks and she will conitinue for half an hour or more till I leave then she screams at me and throws stuff. Have a 5 year old parent raised scaley brested lorikeet that does it too but not as bad, and now an alexandrine hen has dissed her mate and started making eyes at me. I don't know why, I try and tell them I am human and I am straight but they don't seem too fussy :rofl: The worst for males I know of is rainbow lorries, the boys have no shame whatsoever my friends lorry has a pet sock I wont tell you what he does to it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:40 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Denis wrote:
I'm sceptical of this because of the many cases reported of hens attempting to crow in the absence of any roosters.

Yes, but they don't tend to do it as loudly or consistently as the real thing - assuming that were the reason one were using the implant.

Interesting thought though - if a mature rooster were present but non-crowing and non-fertile (do they still mate when they have the implant? Or are they actually feminised to an extent? I note the comment about becoming hen-feathered), would the hens end up treating him like a hen with the potential for one to take on that rooster role?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:17 pm 
Wise Gobbler
Wise Gobbler

Sandy wrote:
Are you sure they stop crowing once chemically treated... my cats still act like male cats even though they have been desexed.. hmmmm something to think about ..

:hmmm: I have to agree with you there Sandy. I have a tom that was desexed at the earliest age possible (8 weeks) and he still acts, fights and sprays like a tom!

So this has to make me wonder if a rooster would not do the same!!?!