Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Broken Beak Updated.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Broken Beak Updated.
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:00 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

usually the bird keeps it filed down by scraping it back and forth on the ground, or other surface. if for some reason it gets out of hand (either because the bird is in confinement due to illness, or because the surface he/she was trying to file it on was not abrasive enough. in any case, get an emery board (or medium grade sandpaper) and file it on the tip and sides, be careful not to take too much (however if you do, don't worry as it will grow back). check your progress AS you file.

ben, i was just thinking about your little guy yesterday, glad to hear he's doing well.

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:12 pm 
Swan
Swan

i think i am best to look at pictures before i try it.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:45 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

if someone doesn't post pics by tomorrow (within the next 12 hrs, it's 2am sat morning here and i don't think my bunch would be too happy posing for piccies at the moment :lol: ). i'll take some photos and post them for you to see.

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:10 pm 
Swan
Swan

ok then thanks you if it is Possible ill search for threads and if i dont see one ill make one and then link it from here to there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:03 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ben, the first set of photos show how the chook "self files" it's beak. he scrapes it back and forth on the ground. the second set shows how to file the beak by hand with an emery board. i hold the chook with one arm, wrapping my hand around head and open the beak by pulling down on the wattles. in the last set of photos, i am showing how to hand file with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around my finger. i think this method is the easiest to use for the sides, then go back and use the emery board for the tip. hope these help. "sir arthur" was very happy he was the "chosen" model for the photo shoot. (trying to close his eyes in the first pic, it was getting close to bedtime when this was taken :lol: )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:37 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Great photos peeper. Thankyou! I will feel more confidant if I ever have to do it.

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:08 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

They are really good photos peeper lilly,
your 'sir arthur' is such a good model.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:23 pm 
Swan
Swan

good photos what grade Sandpaper??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:05 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

i generally use a medium grit, then polish it off with a fine. i prefer to use the sandpaper method as it is much easier to place my finger inside the mouth and "rock" my finger along the natural curve of the beak. then i go in and file the tip with a board.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Fantastic photos thank you. It will be very helpful! :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:21 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

i have a young rooster, got caught in a fight and his beak has a split longwise. what should i do, will this affect his eating? having silkies only for a year now, don't know too much about the problems that might occur. thanks for your help

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:30 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

If its a fresh split - fresh as a only a day - then woodworking glue (aquadhere) may be of some help, Use some paper as a splint to hold it together over the glue.

If its an older split then the beak tissue may have already hardened. It should grow out in time and yes it could have an effect on its eating and drinking.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:52 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I have used super glue on a split beak before. I was very worried about getting any glue on the tongue or other skin so it was a two person job and done very, very carefully. It worked though, and the benefit was that it dried very quickly. The split was in the top beak, so I had my finger in his open beak preventing the tongue or lower beak getting anywhere near where I had the glue. Then I held it firmly in position for about 5 minutes. I know super glue can be terribly dangerous stuff, but it's a good solution if the damage is only in the harder part of the beak.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:55 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

thanks, meantime it has changed. the split is not obvious anymore, but the point of the beak snapped off. on one side it is a tiny bit shorter than the lower beak. he seems to be ok, still very active when hens are involved. hope that it will grow out soon, so he won't have any problems with eating.