Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Apple Cider vinegar and worming

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:20 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have heard that apple cider vinegar is good for chookies. But is it as a general tonic or for worms or other ailments. How much should I use and how frequently for my 10 chookies?

I am a bit baffled by all the worming products at the produce store. I note that Piperazene? is for roundworms only (poultry) but that some other products (such as kilvern) treats roundworm, threadworm and caecal worm. Should I go past the piperezene then and go for the stuff that does all three common poultry worms. Any thoughts welcome.

So many questions...so few chokies!! :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:25 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If you want to use apple cider vinegar make sure you get un-filtered, non - pasturised. Basically the real stuff the produce should have it.

Roughly half a teaspoon to a litre is what I use, some people do it different. I also soak oats in a mix of apple cider vinegar and water overnight a few times a week for them. The apple cider vinegar helps break things down in it and make certain vitamins and nutrients more avaliable to the birds. I would usually do a teaspoon to a litre roughly for soaking.

You can also add a bit to some milk to sour it and make a mash up with it. It changes the gut PH which makes the environment down there more friendly to good bacteria and bugs and unpleasant for the nasties.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:30 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Round worms are the most common intestinal worms that affect chickens. Piperazine will do those fine. If you live in the tropics, or if you have reason to believe your birds have other worms as well - then look at which product will treat the worms you have. I have never seen anything other than round worms in my flock.

I use Moxidectin, Avitrol Plus, Kilverm and a couple of others as well. I rotate them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

Apple cider vinegar is supposed to make the gut less attractive to worms by acidifying it. The also has other health benefits I believe. I use around 20ml per litre about one week in 4.

NellyG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:59 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

NellyG wrote:
Apple cider vinegar is supposed to make the gut less attractive to worms by acidifying it. The also has other health benefits I believe. I use around 20ml per litre about one week in 4.

NellyG

:thumbs: OK off to get some unfiltered, unpasturised ACV and give it a try. Worms are not an obvious problem for my free rangers but will give this a try. I have used chemical based wormers but would prefer to try something natural. I feed organically as much as possible, both myself and the chooks so if I can avoid or lessen the need for chemical intervention I will be more than happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:21 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Chicken07 did an extensive review of apple cider vinegar as a worming agent - see these three links for more information (links are in this general thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7983954):

Apple Cider Vinegar - A Review of the Facts and the Myths - Main Post/Conclusions
Apple Cider Vinegar - Acidity Discussion/background - Appendix A
Apple Cider Vinegar - Avian Digestion/background - Appendix B

Overall summary - ACV is good for keeping waterers clean from algae (nothing to blink at), may promote overall health in a preventative sense, but is not effective in managing an active worm load.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:41 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

infoaddict wrote:
Chicken07 did an extensive review of apple cider vinegar as a worming agent - see these three links for more information (links are in this general thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7983954):

Apple Cider Vinegar - A Review of the Facts and the Myths - Main Post/Conclusions
Apple Cider Vinegar - Acidity Discussion/background - Appendix A
Apple Cider Vinegar - Avian Digestion/background - Appendix B

Overall summary - ACV is good for keeping waterers clean from algae (nothing to blink at), may promote overall health in a preventative sense, but is not effective in managing an active worm load.

Oh well if it won't be much of an advantage to add it to the waterers I was assured by the lady at the organic shop where I bought it that it would make great salad dressing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:55 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

We do add it to our waterers - the chooks seem to like the slightly acidic flavour, and keeping the waterers free from algae is incredibly valuable here. And on very hot days like today (we've just hit 41C in the shade, will test in the sun soon), encouraging chooks to drink is good.

We get the garlic-enhanced version because we do seem susceptible to sniffles and colds due to violent weather changes (it can be 40C one day and 13 the next - it happens - and chooks don't like that) and our anecdotal, personal experience is that it DOES seem to help.

Anything that encourages overall increased health in chooks is good - a healthy chook is less likely to have a problem with a few worms, which is sort of inevitable in free-ranging birds.

It's just not much good against an active worm burden, that's all :)