Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Fleas - what's best to spray? Flea powder or lime work?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:25 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

OK, I've had enough.

I've gotten rid of my Indian Games, but I want my shed sprayed out before introducing any more chooks, to at least TRY to control the fleas. I am currently in the process of removing as much dirt as possible, however there are areas that have no concrete covering - it is just dirt.

Keeping this in mind, what is the BEST thing to spray the floor with? I don't care if it is off label, or "not recommended" - I just want to kill the buggers :aaargh:

Malawash is useless, it's already been tried (by someone else, same property). He is currently using Coopex.

Please - I want to knock the buggers on the head!

Also - is flea powder a good option to spread on the floor?

Will lime work? Anyone tried it?

I KNOW there has been plenty of posts on flea control - I want a simple, BEST spray/powder treatment from as many people as possible.

Any help greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:30 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Are you saying that Coopex didn't work? It is based on permethrin which has a residual effect. That would be my choice. Sometimes with a bad infestation you just have to keep doing it to break the cycle.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:34 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

It did, but barely...like, he sprayed the pen (and the chooks...don't ask me :shock: ), but then they're back on within a week. Did he just not spray enough? Does it just not work on straight soil? (It was on straight soil, wheras at least half my shed is kinda concrete)

How on earth am I meant to control them if nothing works in soil?

I've heard that sheep dip works. Although drastic, does it?

I'm just sick of having fleas :cry: especially when it isn't even my place, where I would implement a full program of defleaing dogs, cats, minimising pests like sparrows, rats, mice, pigeons, spraying, treating birds, moving clean birds to clean areas, etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:57 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

If they're back within a week them they must be in the environment and just jumping back on the birds again. He must be missing somewhere or not spraying properly. Or else, a ground area isn't sprayed effectively and they are making their way back up. The flea needs to be able to dig into the soil for a stage in their life cycle. As your shed has a concrete floor it should be easier to deal with.

I have to admit that I have sprayed my sheds out with Maldison before, even though it is a nasty toxic chemical. I don't recommend it because there's more potential for problems with it, but it does work. I would always use a newish container of it (not an old one out of date) and follow the manufacturers directions. I think persisting with Permethrin is safer and better option, but it depends on how you feel about it.

If the problem is driving you mad you might want to pull out all the guns. Remove all the litter, clean everything out, spray everything out with your choice of product, spray your birds also (don't get any in beaks or eyes!). You could give them a dose of moxidectin as well if you think there's a chance some have been missed. You should redo permethrin spray in about about a month or if it rains.

There's tons of info about the flea here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8196&hilit=stick+fast
I'll copy it here.
Quote:
Stickfast fleas of poultry
(Echidnophaga gillinacea)

The stickfast flea is one of the most troublesome parasites found in poultry.
It is a serious pest, as large numbers may cause progressive blood loss, loss of condition and sometimes death.

Description and distribution
Stickfast fleas are easy to recognise, being reddish-brown and smaller than other fleas.
They 'stickfast' and don't move around like other fleas.
They are seen mainly in warmer areas and can survive extremely low temperatures.

Life cycle
Understanding the life cycle of the stickfast flea (Echidnophaga gillinacea) makes control methods easier to understand.

The average life cycle is about 4-5 weeks depending on seasonal conditions.
The cycle starts with the attached female laying eggs, usually during the hours of darkness. Adult fleas live for about 6 weeks on the host laying approximately 12 eggs per night.

These eggs fall to the ground and hatch into larvae that feed on ground litter.
Approximately 2-4 weeks later the larvae burrow into the soil to a depth of 15 cm and form a cacoon.
They particularly like sandy type soils
From this cacoon emerges an adult flea within 2-3 weeks depending on temperature and humidity.
Adult fleas that are unable to find a suitable host can only survive for a short period of time.

Effect on poultry
They bury their entire heads into the host and spend days attached in this manner
The most common spot for the flea to attach to is the head of poultry, the eyes and face as black as eyebrows.
Other sites for infestations are under the wings and on the breast.
A heavily infested bird can carry a black mass of fleas on its comb, wattles and behind its head, eye lids, ears, under the neck & down the neck.

Effect on other animals
Stickfast fleas can also infest other birds (ducks, pigeons), cattle, dingoes, kangaroos, rabbits, rats, goats, cats, horses, dogs and sometimes man.

Control and treatment
Control and treatment go hand in hand.
Smear a light coating of an oily substance over these insects and they suffocate very quickly. Olive oil and baby oil are useful for this, as they do not irritate the birds' eyes.
Treat the shed floors as for mites and ticks.
Like mites, all fleas will infest your home if left unchecked and will feed on any living warm-blooded animals.
Infested birds should be sprayed with insecticide and all litter or articles harbouring the flea destroyed.
In controlling the flea on poultry, the housing of these animals must be included.
For this reason, the parasite is not easily eradicated from backyard poultry houses or free-ranging poultry farms that are unable to provide impervious flooring.
Impervious floors are necessary for breaking the life cycle by denying larvae the ability to burrow 15cm into the soil to form a cacoon.

Birds
Applications of organic oil based products (neatsfoot oil, linseed oil, castor oil, olive oil, baby oil) or dressings including petroleum jelly or parrafin oil will suffocate attached parasites.
Treat the skin with Maldison solution or Carbaryl dusting powder.
Use of these chemicals must be in accordance with the manufacturer's label.

Cages, pens, perches and surrounds
Spray with a solution of Maldison.
The chemical application of Maldison must be in accordance with the manufacturer's label.

Treatment of housing and birds with insecticide should be repeated weekly until the infestation is completely controlled.

Keep a close watch on your birds and their environs and you will stem the tide of any creepy-crawly critters that may decide to make a restaurant in your chicken house.

Reference source and other personal reference sources used in this article
Stick-fast Fleas
Echidnophaga gallinae
Reference: http://www.webone.com.au/~greggles/pest.html

Another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7968738&p=206798&hilit=permethrin+fleas#p206798

They also seem to be a lot worse at the end of summer. There will be a natural reduction in numbers as the season changes.

Photos
From Rainbow:

From Nelly G:
Caption: Small patchof fleas on rear of comb and tucked into the eyelid

Caption: Fleas in eyelid

Also posted quite a while ago the only other photo that came up in Gallery search for Stickfast Fleas:
From Ruff:
Caption: a mild infestation. seen along the eyebrow.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:45 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I use the drops - Revolution, etc - for fleas on my cat. I haven't noticed any side-effects on her, and no fleas. It's effective and it works for a full month, which would break the cycle from that source long enough to clean out other locations.

We don't have a huge flea problem here so I only de-flea every now and again - 3-4 times a year, probably, which is why I'm not too worried about chemical side-effects. However, I've used the stuff for all her almost 9 years of life, and she's very healthy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Personally I think flea collars are completely useless. Use one of the drop-behind-the-neck things like infoaddict suggests like Frontline, Advantage, Advocate, Revolution (I think the last one does worms too) they are very effective and worth the money. If you notice the effectiveness declining, switch brands and cycle through them, they use different active ingredients. Easy to obtain over the counter at vets, petshops and online pet stores.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:07 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Are they Stickfast fleas or ordinary fleas? Dunking the birds heads in oil works well for stick fast fleas. Also concreting the floors of pens so the fleas cant lay eggs in the soil is a great solution. If the birds free range it is going to be a seasonal thing you just have to manage. Because they will always come in contact with "wild" fleas.

I would definatley advise against dunking chooks in sheep drench. Any old or vunerable birds will die. Also a full on dunk often means they inhale the poison into their lungs and die.

The topical drench (a few drops under the wing or behind the neck) is good. but it is always a managment thing, you will never 100% eradicate them, but you can mange it to a point where you see very very few

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:51 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

How much advantage should i use on each bird to get rid of stickfast fleas ? Any info appreciated

Cheers Maca