Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Please help (pics)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please help (pics)
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:07 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

OK so my male Muscovy has had his penis or bowls hanging out of his ass for the last two days and i have no idea why, at first i just thought he had just mounted one of the ducks and it would go back in but it never did???

i had the same thing happen to a Saxony drake last year it never went back in, and so it went black and must have dropped off??

i need this drake and don't want him to become no good for breeding as he is the only one of his colors i have.

I'm a little confused, worried and to be honest grossed out!

Hear are some pics for you to decide for your selves what has happened.

:hmmm: :?

any one with experience with this problem please help me out :aaargh:

:help:

Regards David

Post subject: Re: Please help (pics)
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:15 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

David - I think this is similar to what happened to one of Glennie's drakes - see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9495&hilit=drake+penis - hopefully advice there might be of some help.

I think a vet is indicated if at all within your means...?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:25 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks cackles i this a trip to the vet might be best

i still don't know why it has happened twice :?

Regards David

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:03 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

It's a prolapsed Penis David. From time to time a drake will present with it. I had one last season, only a young Muscovy drake who developed this seemingly overnight. He was large and quite fat, but so were the others and the sam problem never developed in any of them.

I have read that one cause may be due to the extended breeding period that domestic ducks are subjected to now. And also the fact that they are often paired up with larger numbers of ducks than had they been the wild counterpart. I don't really put too much weight on this as a cause. I think in the wild mussies are still fairly promiscuous and very active breeders anyway.

The other reason blamed is an inherited disposition for the disorder. Maybe, but I don't really know.

I do believe that a more likely reason could be damage during the mating act, sort of like a pulled muscle if you know what I mean, and no pun intended :| If you have ever seen large mussies and how they fall of some time heavily whils still engaged, you will likely understand what I mean.

If it is left as is, it will most likely dry and may become infected, but will likely fall off in time. Some do resolve on there own I know, because the young drake of mine presented after about 4 days with the organ retracted and never any further issues. And he was the first bird to produce ducklings for me this season. I can't say for sure how often the issue does resolve but would tend to think it would be less than more often.

I have read that yu can treat if you act ASAP by washing the organ, applying an antibacterial cream/ointment daily, isolating from other birds, and provide fresh swimming water at all times, but the final outcome may still be the need to humanely dispatch the bird.

Sorry about your Drake, and others may have other ideas that may help with some luck, and a vet would offer sound advice.

Regards :

rollyard

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:55 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

You can also use a cream for the treatment of hemroids, it is sometimes useful in such situations.

J

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi David

How is He??

Jenn

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:05 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Sorry about your drake :upset:

I have no experience with this situation, I have not come across it in my short time with ducks, and hope not too!!
Sounds like good advice above.
Really don't know whether it will help but something that I would probably try is to give him a forced bath.
Half fill a large tub/crate/container (whatever you have that is big enough to hold him) with water and place him in there with some sort of lid to prevent him from getting out. Don't make it too deep though, I would make it so his feet can touch the bottom.
Maybe the water will soften and relax everything as well as making him clean and preen himself.

I wish I knew the answer to this one and will be watching to see the outcome :grouphug:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:37 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I know nothing either about the subject but if he is very important to your breeding it would be worth the trip to the vet. It may not help but with my hairy dogs after a mating sometimes the boys have a hell of a time getting their penis back in the sheath without jumping around like someone is trying to tear it off. Pulling out the skin a little & pulling hair out so it doesn't get caught & pulled into the sheath helps them. Seeing the organ is exposed & if it has dried out it will be almost imposable to retract, maybe some vasaline or ky jelly & make sure no feathers are caught in the way of it retracting. Sorry my advice almost sounds obsene :oops: but good luck with him

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:36 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Well i am very sorry to report that he is no better, i may sound cruel but he is now destined for the pot and i will just look for a new one

Regards David

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:14 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that. I must be disappointing for you.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:25 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

That's unfortunately probably the best thing.
He must be in a lot of discomfort.