Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Coopex killed bugs - safe to eat?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:43 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

OK, not sure if this is best here or in feeding (feel free to move if not right).

My shed was sprayed out with Coopex the other day to kill fleas. I checked it out tonight, and there is now an assortment of dead bugs - millipedes, earwigs, grubs, slaters - on the floor. My question is - when the chooks are put in, what harm might these bigs do? If they do eat the dead bugs, will they poison them? Will the Coopex continue to kill the bugs?

Also - it was sprayed Sunday, birds due to arrive this Sunday - a week later. Bugs probably killed anytime from Sunday to today when I saw them.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:36 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I'd be out there with a dustpan before letting any chooks near. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:29 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

i wouldn't let mine eat them. best to clean them up

danish brown leghorns..araucanas..white, partridge & self blue silkies..black sumatras..BBR cubalayas..golden phoenix..WC black polish bantams..a few Xs... and no peafowl this season :'(

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:28 am 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Coopex is a water dispersable pyrethoid which is derived from the pyrethrim daisy. As far as insectides go its fairly safe.

But with any compound too much of a good thing can be toxic. I would say the same as the others, clean up the dead insects. I wouldn't worry about cleaning out the pens though as the residual effects of the spray have benefits greater than the disadvantages.

For many years I have rountinely heavily dusted broody hens with pyrethrim powder to control the build up of lice on them without ill effects.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:17 am 
Great Game
Great Game

That's what I was thinking - thanks guys.

I was planning on getting rid of the dead ones that are there - I was just wondering if it would have seriously detrimental effects if I didn't get all of them. I didn't think it would, but no harm in asking.

It really shows that the stuff works though - what an awesome way to control millipedes and bugs! Only thing is, I like (and so do my ducks, and probably chooks) slaters :shock:

As long as it worked on the fleas. I don't care about anything else, I just want the fleas to be as stuffed as everything else is...