Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - broken toe and or foot

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: broken toe and or foot
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:10 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Hi,
About three months ago i bought a trio of coronation sussex. At the time i noticed no major faults and was very happy with my purchase.
In the time since then, one came down with a respiritory infection and is still recovering so still looks a little ratty. Unfortunately i tend to favour my better looking chooks so her sister has been getting her photo taken and i often look at the sister when i am out in the yard.

About a week ago i was checking out both girls and noticed the one who is still recovering had a crooked toe (a common breeding fault in sussex). i asked my friend who was with me at the auction if she noticed anything with her feet then and after we both agreed we would have picked up on something like that so i went back out and had a look. wasnt swollen, wasnt limping, didnt look red or sore so i assumed she had broken it since being in my yard but had recovered.

Well it has been a hectic week with work and studying for exams so havent had much of a chance to sit out with the girls and watch them scratch around etc, especially with the days beingso short.
anyways, just before i went out for a break from the study and noticed that her foot has swollen right up as well as the base of the toe and looks really sore. what can i do for her? i was thinking some paraderm cream? its anti-inflamatory, anti-histamine and has anaesthetic in it too? i have some anti-inflamatory human drug and pain killers? are they safe for chooks in low doses? she is probably around the 1 - 1.5kgs

here are some photos, one with the other foot for comparison and the other a close up.

Thanks

Sigrid

Large and Bantam leghorns in blue, Black, white, splash and blue duckwing, Marans in Wheaten, Polish in wc black, Malays, Coronation and speckled Sussex. Also Secretary to the French Marans Club of Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:58 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi Siggy

The foot is certainly swollen and looks to be on a strange angle as well. Short of a vet trip and an xray I am a bit inclined to leave it as it is - I am unclear - is it hot to touch, does she "guard" it as in a pain response, is she limping. Its very possible that a tendon has snapped and the other side is tendon pulling the foot side ways.

But all that is without an xray.

As far as for therapeutics - I would much prefer Stella or one of the other vets advise. Would be later tonight though.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:43 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Thanks Mike,

Wont be able to get to the vet until thursday night due to work tomorrow and then an exam on thursday morning.

I have just been out and felt it and it feels warm....but the other foot is just as warm and as shown in the photo, there is no problems with the other foot. She didnt seem to mind me feeling it, she just sat there and when i gently moved the toe from side to side she didnt flinch or make a sound so i dont think there is any pain. She is also roosting if that means anything, if she was in pain she would maybe on the ground of the coop?

Sigrid

Large and Bantam leghorns in blue, Black, white, splash and blue duckwing, Marans in Wheaten, Polish in wc black, Malays, Coronation and speckled Sussex. Also Secretary to the French Marans Club of Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:18 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Its interesting that the toe was crooked before the swelling came. I would think if the two were related that they would happen at roughly the same time.
There are a couple of scales missing on the swollen area that lead me to think it could be an abscess brewing - a bit like bumblefoot.
Maybe she injured the toe and also got a penetration at the same time that is now causing an infection.
So to be sure I would put her on Oxy-B just in case. The paraderm sounds ok - I don't know it but would think it has aspirin and DMSO? in it? can you tell me the active ingrediants?
Stay away from human anti-inflammatories, esp panadol, ibuprofen etc - they can really damage liver and kidneys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:14 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Meredith,
I may have spotted the toe just after it happened and i havent had a chance to see it again since (as it wasnt swollen etc i didnt see the need to check on it again)
Paraderm cream: chlorhexidine gluconate (1mg/g), lignocaine hydrochloride 10mg/g and bufexamac 50mg/g
Ok to use?
Sigrid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:18 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Paraderm should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:27 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

ok will apply now and will see if there is any change in the morning
Sigrid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:31 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Put her on the Oxy-B too.