Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - blood stained snotty beak coughing depressed on the improve!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:29 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

yesterday i treated my two newcomers with revolution and have been very impressed with sight of dead lice. However i have kept them together as one was snotty and coughing when they got home from euroa. They are both very light in condition and have very prominent keels. The snotty one is coping ok still eating and both are on ricketts diet in quarantine. This afternoon the 2nd one is also having discharge from beak which is clear but stained through with blood. Her crop was hard lump last night which i gave oil and massaged and most emptied overnight. However she is very huddled and sleepy. Any suggestions for antibiotics? Other treatments? Will try whatever it takes. Cheers julie

Last edited by new feathers on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:39 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Make sure they are away from your birds and in a dry warm place
Will leave it for others to help more sorry :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:46 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'm so glad that you quarantined. I am always concerned when I hear about blood in the mucous because that's one of the signs of ILT (Infectious Laryngotracheitis). If it's just a regular respiratory infection that's just started, you are doing everything right by feeding them the rickets diet, keeping them warm and keeping a close eye on them. If it's more advanced or if it's ILT they need antibiotics. Be very strict with the quarantine. It's not something you want spread to your flock. I'm not saying this is what it is, only that it's one of the things the blood in the respiratories can indicate. ILT is not that common. Do a search for Laryngotracheitis or have a read through Rayan's thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7970726&p=223803&hilit=+Infectious+blood+Laryngotracheitis#p223803
See if you see things in common with your birds. If you think yes - then get them along to a vet for a diagnosis and the right antibiotics.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:49 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

have baytril 25mg, flagyl 200mg, amoxycillin 500mg, trimethoprim (sulphur based) 300mg, cephalexin monohydrate 500mg, can any of these be utilised? Cheers julie oh just saw other posts. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:58 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'd go with the Baytril if I were you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:15 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Oh dear
Blood from the respiratory system is not good under any circumstances. I am a bit like C'07 and thinking ILT also.

Its something you dont normally see in backyard chooks. Its caused by a herpes virus and its highly infectious with a fairly high mortality. There I have told you up front.

Now its imperative that you keep these birds separate and set up sort of barrier infection control. Google that for further details and basic instructions but it basicaly means that there is barrier around the suspect chooks. Nothing goes in past the barrier that can be used for other chooks and nothing comes back out past it.

ILT virus is virus that doesn't live long outside of the host but reports I have read says it re-occurs in times of stress in the affected chooks.

As its a virus - no antibiotics are going to have an effect on it but just in case it is a bacterial infection or a secondary bacterial infection then throw a cephalexin tablet/Capsule down the innards. Then follow up with half the dosage once a day. If its bacterial its likely to be a strept infection and that will respond to cephalexin. I saw C'07s response, the baytril wont hurt either.

But I dont like the sound of it and i think you will lose the chooks but it is imperative that you set up a barrier infection control.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:23 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

:cry: :roll: :aaargh: just read first page of rayan's post. Symptoms same pooey bum all the rest. God i hope not. What about all the other birds at euroa. The seller didn't have these two in the shed but others were. I hope they were in different cars on the way up. My other two are still fine but have been on the ground that these two were since i moved the tractor away when i discovered the lice. Best thing to do is start the baytril and get tests to be sure. Fingers crossed its just garden variety.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:27 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Are they older birds or younger ones

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

was told 14 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:37 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Please read my post

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:22 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

thanks mike. Just got out of the vet's with more baytril etc. Didn't bring chooks yet she was at the other practice but she is getting dpi info and test info and will be there tomorrow. She said even though i quarantined its probably too late to vaccinate the others but in their favour they are good strong vigorous healthy birds that i will be keeping an incredibly watchful eye on for the slightest changes. Would there be a problem if i went all out and gave them both baytril and ceph? The other option is to cull and send for pm but its probably better to try first for couple of days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:46 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

yes - give them the flucox and the cephlex. It cant hurt.

But do be very rigorous in the barrier protection - we dont know specifically what it is but if its ILT you really dont want it in your flock.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:33 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

thanks mike. Will keep you posted on progress. Fingers crossed, julie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Just to add to Mikes great advice...
Don't forget to feed and treat them AFTER all your other birds. Wash your hands thoroughly and when handling them to medicate them it would be a good idea to wear protective clothing, overalls or even a designated jacket, that doesn't go near the other birds.
If all goes well and they get through this make sure you quarantine for at least 4weeks after the last day of symptoms.
Spray their pen with Virkon-S or Avisafe.

As for the antibiotics, either baytril or cephalosporin. You shouldn't need both at the same time. Make sure the dose of baytril is high enough, I used 25mg (1/2 50mg tablet) for 2kg chooks twice daily when mine had ILT (at least I think it was ILT). They all got through but I think I was just lucky as mortalities are usual. TLC good diet, warmth etc is as important as any medication.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:41 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

thankyou. Have been in contact with the seller. there has been a recent respiratory infection in past months but no mortalities. So can i safely assume not ILT? Also to be fair they have offered to pay for meds so thats great to see they stand behind their birds. Now all i gotta do is get them better. If my other birds start symptoms how long should i wait before treating them with antibiotics or should i be starting them as a precaution in case it is a herpes type infection or similar?