Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ear Infection

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ear Infection
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:13 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,
I took one of my silkie cockerals to the vets this morning and he has an ear infection.His whole ear was full of a waxy pus stuff(really yellow).The vets gave me some ear drops to use.I was just wondering if there is anything else i could do for him? If it is very common in poultry?And what would be the likely cause of it?Some people have told me to put betadine down into the ear? :help:
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Hennnyhaven

Post subject: Re: Ear Infection
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:21 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The advice of your vet is always the best. He or she has examined the bird and given you the best treatment. Don't put any home remedies in his ears. Are the drops antibiotics?

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:24 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

Hey hang on

What drops did the vet prescribe !!

Why do you seek further advice here or wonder if what Aunty Ethel suggested over the back fence is better advice than the vets ??

I am happy to give advice but I do need right information.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,
The vet gave me Topigen ear drops.He said himself he really wasnt to sure on treating poultry and had never heard a of a chook with an ear infection,which i thought was strange.I just thought that someone out there would have experienced the same problem with there chickens,thats the only reason i asked.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:19 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Is this it? If so, they are antibacterial.
Yes birds can get ear infection. Sometimes they shake their heads, or their balance can be affected. You may also smell an off odour and notice waxy build up or even pus. It can be quite nasty for them. I wouldn't say that it is common, but it does happen. How did the vet diagnose the problem?

Is there any reason why the bird is susceptible to this at the moment? Perhaps you should think about whether the birds have been wormed, if they are on an appropriate diet. Also keep a close eye on your flock for any signs of respiratory infection such as head shaking, mucous from nostrils, eyes or mouth, or anything else at all. It is probably an isolated problem, but it's always a good idea to observe your birds carefully.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks chicken07,
No thats not the drops,the drops i got are made by ilium and it says on the bottle that they are antibacterial,antifungal,anti-inflammatory,antipruritic(probably the same thing but different bottle).Im doing it twice a day for him.He is one of my show birds.We have had lots of rain here but they live in a shed that is divided into pens,the pens are cleaned everyday and they are run on clean shavings.They get about 2-3 hours running on the grass a day.They are regularly wormed and liced.They are very well looked after.But i will definately be keeping an eye out on all the others for symptoms.The vet actually rang a someone he knew that has poulrty and he helped him diagnose it.I will follow his instructions with the drops.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:45 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It sounds as though the vet has gone to a fair amount of trouble to check that he's doing the right thing. It's good to have a local vet that will do that. Sometimes they refuse to see chickens as they don't feel confident with them. I would phone him or go back and see him if your bird deteriorates or develops new symptoms.

I hope the treatment is successful for your bird.