Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - HERBAL VETERINARY MEDICINES - ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:53 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Could we add epsom salts to the listing? I'll see if I can't pull up some initial links and thoughts first :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:21 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Also, molasses (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7988834&start=15) and Condie's Crystals (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7983998&p=386063&hilit=crystals#p386063) ...

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:04 am 

Until you have used herbs and know what you are doing, it can be more affordable than anything else.

What did they use in our grandfarthers days, oh it didn't cost a vet bill and it came out of the kitchen.
There are also Holistc vets, you can do it on the internet
http://www.holisticvetonline.com/
sadly Dr Wilson is online, I used to travel 4 hours one way just to see him, I like face to face.

My first appointment was over the phone and after wasting 12 months with my local vet, many $$$$, he fixed the problem by sending some drops that cost me $16 and the appointment $100. After that I did the drive because I could.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I don't know if this is true but apparently grape fruit seed extract can help against botulism. Also rosemary is said to boost the immune system and then there's cayenne pepper and fenugreek for colds.

[quote][/quote] SPOONFULL of castor oil (pardon the pun)but it is foul,vile and above all human beleif that if it taste bad it is good for you(very untrue GRAN)

My Mum told me that castor oil should never be ingested because it can rupture your appendix. :shock: the thought of tasting it :bolt:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

The problem with homeopathy ("holistic") treatments is that they tend not to have the scientific double-blind studies applied that this thread is basing its findings on; anecdotal evidence varies so wildly from one person to the next that it's hard to know what actually worked in the herbal remedy.

The other problem is that we don't actually know what's in the liquid that's supplied for any particular issue, so we can't really study and report on it in this thread.

bluegem, we can add your suggestions to the list for when there's some time for further investigation:

grapefruit seed for botulism
rosemary for general immune system boosting
cayenne pepper for respiratory
fenugreek for respiratory (and worming?)
castor oil ... actually it contains some relevant vitamins, I think, for chooks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:12 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Some very initial results for epsom salts (as above):

Used in (apparently effective) treatment for squamous cell carcinoma on an Araucana chook: http://www.jstor.org/pss/1591533. Note that it's only part of the treatment; mineral oil (paraffin?) and drugs were also used.

Used as treatment for grass impaction in a flock of layers. Molasses is also mentioned in the context as a treatment for botulism. *link missing*

I can see a few other results so there may well be something worthwhile investigating; however, it seems to be as a laxative/purgative treatment, not a food supplement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:39 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

YARGH! Don't do a general search on molasses and poultry! That's _disgusting_! Fermenting chicken bits (intestines, feather, droppings) with molasses and feeding it to cattle ... argh, no wonder they went mad! Even feeding such a mix to pigs sounds appalling and they are at least omnivorous ...

Um ... other than that, it seems to be laxative as well. But frankly, I don't know if I want to go there right now.

http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl ... +OR+chooks)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:21 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

And a very initial result on Condy's Crystals - scientific use is as a disinfectant for water troughs or to create formaldehyde gas to disinfect incubators/eggs; can't find any other tested uses in that very initial search.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:27 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Haven't got time to find sources now, but I think it's disinfectant properties are limited due to the fact that it oxidises fairly quickly in some circumstances. The other thing to look into for Potassium Permanganate is it's effectiveness as an anti-fungal. There's fact in there. It's toxic though, so info about toxicity would also be relevant.

On incubator fogging - formaldehyde is not accessible any more. F10SC is a better option if there is particular reason why an incubator needs more than the regular soap and water treatment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:37 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have been going through my rabbit books tring to find cleavers (gallium) and why it's benificial to us, it's also really good for humans too, that part I do remember being told from a herbailist - I will keep looking. I was sure it was in one of my rabbit books though.

There is no mention of rescue remedy on here for some I know Homeopathy isn't real, but I like to go by what works for me and my animals and this does treat shock in animals and humans quiet well. I don't have any scientific data to back it up as I said it works for me.

I don't know why it's taken me so long to find this section I am always most impressed when alternative options are given being an alternative practioner myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:38 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

"Rescue Remedy" isn't a single herb - it's a proprietorial homeopathic liquid containing highly diluted infusions of various flowers. This thread is mostly concentrating on single, non-proprietorial treatments, where we know what the content/s are/is, and can evaluate the active ingredients; this means we can't effectively evaluate mixtures.

There are unfortunately no double-blind studies that definitely prove that it has non-placebo effects (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19470153, http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=46). It's excellent that it does work for people, but we really can't evaluate it effectively in this thread.

Cleavers were briefly discussed on the previous page: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7983954&p=348687. The name unfortunately refers to two different plants, so we need to be careful about identification and use, as I think one of them is potentially toxic ...!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:11 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Yes I know, some people believe it has a placebo effect I don't as I don't really know how that would work with animals and Ivé seen it work time and time again, also on small kids that don't even know what I am giving them, but I understand some people only want to know about the "scientifically proven" stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:32 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you so much to everyone who had a hand in compiling this information. It always tickles me greatly when I read things about Comfrey. The studies where rats developed tumours isolated one single alkaloid from the comfrey plant and fed it to the rats as one third part of their diet. If you isolated one alkaloid from chicken or spuds and fed that to them as one third part of their whole diet you would get the same results. The research was flawed....just like the Foundation 41 research re: Thalidomide.......its all about the research dollars and it is funded by the pharmaceutical companies so what research results can we expect.
Our second cousin, a brilliant medical student 21 years old, was given the HPV vaccination last year (supposed to protect girls from cervical cancer). First her vision went, then came the seizures and the fogginess in her head. She had a seizure in the bath late at night and her cause of death was recorded as drowning.....God forbid that vaccination could be recorded as the cause of death, and many young people around the world are dying from the very same side effects of this vaccination. Now plans are afoot to vaccinate the boys as well as the girls from the age of around 12 yrs. Follow the money trail. We are talking about a very corrupt industry here and veterinary drugs are sadly also part of it.
Great information can be obtained about Herbs (tumeric is one of them) from this Australian website of Isabell Shipard: http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au . Isabell's books are gold in our home and we highly recommend them......see if the library near you has How Can I Use Herbs In My Daily Life....miraculous book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:38 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. That's very sad. :grouphug:

I don't believe anyone here has extremist views. I personally try to avoid conspiracy theories and just read all the reputable data that I can. I have to admit to a background in research methods and data analysis. I try to 'beware of the testimonial website', but do browse and read some lighter material as well.

As for comfrey, I know quite a few chicken people who have it in their garden and their birds may peck a bit in a balanced way over time. It's all about being sensible I think - like so many things in life. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:16 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Like chicken07, I dont want to get into a debate on this particular case but I do know that a doctor is legally bound to report and sign a death certificate on the actual cause of death. Not the factors leading up to that death. In so many cases, death certificates report the cause of death as things like "Ventricular fibrillation" when the factors leading to that death can wide and varied. A long term cancer patient or a motor vehicle accident victim with multiple injuries.

However, where ever there is an unnatural loss of life a coronial inquiry will happen and the factors leading to that unnatural loss of life will be examined. The coroner will make an unbiased report and subsequent reccommendations.

In many cases, drug companies have been brought to task and forced to either withdraw the product or make changes. Also there are risk factors in every medical intervention. Penicillin for example, has saved millions of lives and continues to but a percentage of people are simply allergic to it. Some have had vioent anaphalactic reactions to it and have unfortunately died as a result.

Would the world be better off without penicillin and other antibiotics ?? or anaesthetics, which also carry a significant risk factor ??

Despite various conspiracy theories, drug companies are not above the law.

I am truely sorry for the loss of your cousin.

Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next