Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Neem - Herbal Treatment

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Neem - Herbal Treatment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Neem - Azadirachta indica Native to India, Sri Lanka, and Burma, but now grown in many tropical areas.

Common names:
Sanskrit: nimba, Sarva Roga Nirvani (curer of all ailments), margosa, margousier, nimbaum, neembaum, nem, bead tree, pride of China, nim, holy tree, indiar, lilac tree.

Parts Used:
Root bark, bark, and seed (or nut) are most commonly used, but also fruit, leaves, juice, nut oil, and flowers.

Traditional Uses:

* Use for external parasites, wound healing, skin and dental infections, possibly diabetes.

* The bark, leaves, and seeds are used for a large number of conditions in farm animals. The poultry uses are diarrhea, wounds, tick & lice. Neem has antifeedant, antifecundity, sterilization and growth effects on insects. Various parts of neem tree and its constituents have demonstrated repellent or larvicidal activity against biting midges and mosquitoes. At very high doses it is very effective, but at lower levels it has some inhibiting effects.

* Neem has some positive immune effects. Powdered neem leaves were fed to a flock of broiler chickens that had survived an outbreak of infectious bursal disease. Also a dose of 2g/kg appears to enhance antibody titers against Newcastle's disease antigen.

* Neem twigs have traditionally been used in India for cleaning teeth (not much use for chooks there :lol: ).

* Neem is valued for external conditions like wounds, ulcers, eczema, ringworm vulvovaginitis, and leprosy. For these leaf preparations are applied topically. An extract of neem appears effective as a spermicidal contraceptive in humans, primates and rabbits.

* Taken orally for the treatment of those with malaria, fever and intestinal worms.

* Used externally for lice in both people and animals.

* Neem seed oil is most commonly used externally as a stimulant (for rheumatism and some skin problems), and the leaf and bark are usually taken internally.

* Lab studies suggest that neem may improve glucose control. In stressed and normoglycemic dogs a 50% w/v aqueous leaf extract given at 0.15mg/kg intravenously led to a significant decrease in blood glucose levels.

Selected Constituents:
Limonoid triterpenes (including azadirachtin, salannin, nimbin, gedunin), flavonoids, tannins, fixed oil.

General External Use
Dried neem leaf: add 1 cup leaf to 1L of water, and bring to low simmer for 5 min; cool and use as topical spray.
For managing fleas and ticks, clinical experience suggests that Neem spray should be applied every few days.

Dosage for Small Animals:
Dried leaf: 25-50mg/kg, divided daily
Infusion: 5g per cup of water, administered at a rate of 1/4 - 1/2 cup per 10kg, divided daily (optimally 3 times a day)
Tincture (usually 50%-80% ethanol; higher alcohol preparations are more potent) 1:2; 0.25-0.5 mL per 10kg, divided daily and diluted or combined with other herbs.

Clinical Actions:
Antibacterial, antifungal, bitter tonic, insecticidal (antifeedant), anthelmintic, antimalarial, astringent, antifertility, vulnerary (wound treatment).

Toxicity Information:

High doses can lead to nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Experimental studies have shown lung, liver, and kidney toxicity when animals are fed high doses. Long-term use has been reported to result in anemia, weakness, loss of appetite, and weight loss. High-dose toxic effects (probably of the oil) have been listed as convulsions, respiratory distress, stupor, coma, death, metabolic acidosis, and seizures.

Contraindications:

Pregnancy, lactation and possibly hypoglycemia

Drug Interactions:

May have additive effects with insulin and oral glycemics.

Source: Wynn, S.G. & Fougere, B.J. (2007) Veterinary Herbal Medicine. Mosby Elsevier. Sydney

Disclaimer
All threads listed in this Index are the opinions of caring forum users. Backyard Poultry takes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained within, and if in doubt, always refer your poultry queries and problems to your vet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:34 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Today I was at the produce store picking up feed and noticed this Neem product. I decided to have a look at it. It's called 'Neem Pet Wash'. It claims to be 100% organic and is made by Batphone Aust Pty Ltd. Website: http://www.batphone.com.au The reason I bought it is because it is one of the rare alternative products that I've seen that is labelled with details of what's in it. I'd go with my research above, rather than what's on this label, but I'll put it here for interest's sake.
This container contains:
Neem oil 90.3%
Emulsifer 5% W/W MAX
Aeromax 3.9% W/W/MAX
Neem compounds 0.30% W/W/MAX
Stabiliser (U.V.) 0.50% W/W/MAX
Pet Use only

I'll copy the label directions in here as well in case anyone is ever interested:

Neem Oil is 100% natural product. It contains all the main bioactive molecules of Neem. It is eco-friendly and has been used throughout India for many centuries.

How to Uses Neem Oil:
Shake the container well before use.

WASH:
Mix 1 capful (10ml) Neem Oil for every litre of water and immerse or apply liberally to animal. Then rinse. Repeat fortnightly or as required.

TREATMENT:
For irritated areas or wounds, apply Neem oil concentrate direct to affected areas on a weekly basis.

SPRAYING:
Mix 1 capful (10ml) Neem Oil for every litre in a spray container. Apply to animal and ensure treatment contacts skin. Apply as required.

For best results dilute and use Neem as a regular basis.
Further info visit: http://www.neemfoundation.org

Now all I need is a chook covered in lice to try it out. I might bath the dog. I'll let you know how it goes.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

chicken07 I hope you dont mind me putting this here.

I use alot of neem products for humans and pets.

This is a great company i use and they are very helpfull and quick delivery

http://www.neemaus.com.au/shop/index.php

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:10 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Chicken07,

What produce store did you get your Neem pet wash from? I'm around your way, but haven't seen that one before. Also, I have what I thought was a neem tree at home, and all the chooks love eating the fallen leaves. But seeing your photo, I'm now unsure. Might take a branch from my tree to a plant nursery to see if they can tell me definitely what it is!

Chooks seem none the worse for their snacks of leaves, anyway, whatever it is!

Thanks, Onyx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:22 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

This came from Morayfield Produce. I don't usually go there, but got caught short and knew I was going to run out of some feed over the weekend. I think (not sure) that this was the last one on the shelf. In any case, I'm sure they'd get more in for you.

This is the people that make it, although I notice on their site that this product is sold in cartons and export only. There are many other neem products though. You can buy the extracts and the oils from there too. In fact, if you look at the label details that I posted, it's mostly just Neem oil anyway. Pine's link would have something similar as well.
http://www.batphone.com.au/shop/view_doc.php?cat_id=50

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:27 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

If it might work against mites, I've got a little collection that I just Pestene'd to blazes that'll need re-doing pretty soon, I'm sure :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:35 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Mites are tough critters. If you've got a bad dose of mites, I'd be reaching for the permethrin. :wink:

I'm hoping this will deter the odd flea on the dog, or the odd louse on the chickens, and I was just curious to try it.

By the way, it smells really horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:35 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Chicken07 wrote:
Mites are tough critters. If you've got a bad dose of mites, I'd be reaching for the permethrin. :wink:

*wry* thanks. I don't normally get mites but the weather's been interesting and I do have a habit of using straw, despite the fact it can house mites more readily than other ground/nesting materials. In particular I've been storing it in the chookpen so the chooks use it as resting places, and the blasted things have infested the whole bale. I haven't torn it apart to be sunbaked just yet because I haven't replaced them ... hopefully once I do, the mite infestation will go away (or at least reduce).

Quote:
I'm hoping this will deter the odd flea on the dog, or the odd louse on the chickens, and I was just curious to try it.

By the way, it smells really horrible.

Luck! I think Jackie French suggests adding neem to chook dustbaths for these purposes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Mmm. I might be asking for trouble with the amount of straw litter I'm using at the moment as well. It was just so much cheaper than the better alternatives.

I started on the dog last night. I decided to clip her first before I bathed her. I sat her on the coffee table for easy access and tried to get the wahl clippers to behave. :roll: We gave up part way through the process and I have to get back to it tonight. She looks pretty strange atm so I need to get her finished and bathed properly. I got sidetracked cleaning her teeth and plucking the hair out of her ears - one of the joys of poodles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Bunnings sell the batphone products, not the dog wash though. They sell the neem oil as a pesticide though after reading not to use whislt pregnant i gave it a miss.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:18 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I might need to look into a neem or pyrethrum/permethrin based treatment for lice and mites. I have used Pestene once before I discovered that it contains sulphur--which I am allergic to. I realized there was sulphur in it the next day when my lips broke out in blisters and now, more than a week later, the skin is peeling from my fingers! Ouch! Should have paid closer attention to the ingredients before using it. :shock: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:31 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

About a year ago I fed my girls dried Neem leaves (Neem Tea) in mashes for a couple of days to get rid of lice and mites. It worked well, however they stopped laying! A couple of days after stopping the neem they went back to laying normally. They didn't have any mites or lice for ages though, so it did work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:31 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

How does the neem work for lice and mites? Does it kill them when they bite, or some other way?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:02 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

From Chicken07's research in the first post:

Quote:
Neem has antifeedant, antifecundity, sterilization and growth effects on insects. Various parts of neem tree and its constituents have demonstrated repellent or larvicidal activity against biting midges and mosquitoes.

Extrapolating, I'd say it's a repellant - basically, it smells/tastes bad so they go away - and may have some longer-term effects in preventing insects from breeding, feeding, and growing effectively.

This suggests to me that a continuous dosage may actually reduce local insect populations in the short-term but in the long term, some insects will be resistant to the effects and so breed, and thus develop a neem-resistant breed of insect.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:54 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I bought some Neem soap at the markets a couple of weeks ago. have terrible trouble with grass fleas so washed the dogs weekend before last and they still aren't scratching! i found the soap easier to use rather then shampoo too