Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Permethrin Spray Rates

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Permethrin Spray Rates
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:28 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Quite often people are looking for the Permethrin Spray Dilution rates. While we always follow the product label, sometimes there are no poultry directions on the label of a garden product.

I've copied the advice given on msucares.com and dropped it in here. It's not in metric so I'll just convert it for convenience. Perhaps it will be helpful to someone. I've just worked using an online converter and US volume units. I've also rounded a bit.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/pesticides.html

Quote:
Permethrin
5.7% EC Spray -- Dilute 7 tsp/gal or 1 qt/25 gal for .05% solution
-- Dilute 4 1/2 Tbs per gallon for .1% solution

10% EC Spray -- Dilute 4 tsp/gal or 1 qt/50 gal for .05% solution
-- Dilute 2.5 Tbs/gal or 1 qt/25 gal for .1% solution

11% EC Spray -- Dilute 3.5 tsp/gal or 1 pt/25 gal for .05% solution
-- Dilute 7 tsp/gal or 1 qt/25 gal for .1% solution

25% WP -- 1.5 tsp/gal or 1 pt/30 gal for .05% solution
-- 1 Tbs/gal or 1 pt/15 gal for .1% solution

Intermediary Figures:
5.7% EC Spray -- Dilute 34.5ml/3.78L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 66.5ml per 3.78L for .1% solution

10% EC Spray -- Dilute 19.7ml/3.78L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 37ml/3.78L for .1% solution

11% EC Spray -- Dilute 17.25ml/3.78L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 34.5ml/3.78L for .1% solution

25% WP -- 7.4ml/3.78L for .05% solution
-- 15ml/3.78L for .1% solution

Final Figures:
(Reduced to one whole litre. It's easier to work with. Figures rounded.)

5.7% EC Spray -- Dilute 9ml/L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 18ml per L for .1% solution

10% EC Spray -- Dilute 5ml/L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 10ml/L for .1% solution

11% EC Spray -- Dilute 4.5ml/L for .05% solution
-- Dilute 9ml/L for .1% solution

25% WP – 2.0ml/L for .05% solution
-- 4ml/L for .1% solution

Then how to apply it:

Quote:
The .1% solution is applied to ceilings, walls, and suspended objects using a pressurized or power sprayer. This residual spray may remain effective for several weeks unless removed by washing or rain.

The .05% solution can be applied directly to the birds at the rate of 1 gallon (3.78L) per 75 adult chickens. The solution applied to the birds is effective for mites only. Pay particular attention to the vent area when spraying to insure complete spray penetration and coverage.

.25% Dust -- Apply with shaker can at rate of 1 lb (454gm)/100 birds. Dust to cover vent area. Recommended for treatment of mites only.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:54 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Now an example closer to home. This is just what I do. Others can make their own choices.

I go to Bunnings and I buy David Grays Ant & Termite Spray. I pick it up in the Garden Section. I think I paid less than $20, but if you buy it online here it costs $23.00. It wouldn't bother buying something like this online. You can get it easily at local places. It looks like this:

The label says:
Active Constituent: 100g/L Permethrin 25:75
Solvent: 792 g/L Hydrocarbon liquid

If I go to the MSD it tells me that it's 10% permethrin.
http://www.davidgray.com.au/files/DAVID%20GRAYS%20ANT%20%20TERMITE%20SPRAY.pdf

So to use this product as per the above post, I need to dilute it firstly to two strengths - 0.05% solution, and 0.1% solution. The 0.05% is for the birds themselves, the 0.1% solution is for the housing. To do that I use the following rates:

Firstly to get the 0.1% solution I need to dilute the product 1:100. So 10ml in a Litre does that. That takes care of spraying the housing.

Then half strength for the birds themselves - dilute 1:200. That's 5ml in a Litre. Easy.

So spray the housing with a dilution of 10ml/L.
Spray the birds with a dilution of 5ml/L

When spraying make sure you've removed all food and water so that it can't be contaminated. Also remove all loose litter and burn it or seal it in a bag or dispose of it. Clean everything first. Then spray thoroughly making sure you get into all the nooks, cracks and crannies. Let it dry before putting the birds back in. I also think it's worth quoting Looloo's advice regarding spraying.
Quote:
Pay particular attention to the vent area when spraying to insure complete spray penetration and coverage.

Never do spray your birds on a wet or cold day
Never do them at night time due to chilling
Never do them late in the day, they need time to dry off before going to sleep and night air hits them
Never allow any of the mixture to go down the birds throats or into their eyes
Never be rough when handling your birds when spraying them

It is also a good idea at the time of spraying that you check their:
1. Nails.. clip them if they are too long
2. Legs.. for any scaly leg mite.. if found apply olive oil with a small paint brush and continue to apply once a week for 6 weeks to all birds
3. Dirty vent.. if dirty, clean and if necessary cut away some of the vent feathers so the droppings can fall away cleanly
4. Comb & Wattle.. look for any mites under the wattles and eye lids... small clusters of black crustations.. these are stick fast fleas.. apply clean olive oil to these areas before you spray the bird with Permethrin, it will take 24 hours to kill the flea, birds need to be checked every 2 days if you do find them, as they will re infect the birds until they are all dead.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hi Cathy,

How do you clip the chicken's nail.. and what would you use?

Thanks
Jo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I use the dog nail clippers. I only ever do small amounts at a time.

There is already a thorough post on the topic, so I'll just direct you there:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7980649&p=310537&hilit=nail+clipping#p310537

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

:thanks:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:25 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Chicken07, thats very helpful, i think i may have to look inot that product next time i need to purchase more.

I have a question with a permethrin product i habe here.

Its a ant killer product also killling ants, fleas bed bugs etc. It is a powder and im wondering if i can put it into a liquid based product so i can also use it to spray the houses etc.
Its a Garden Pro Ant Killer on label states
Active constituent:10g/kg Permethrin 25:75.
I usually use coopex but this works out quite cheap if i can work out if i can use it as a spray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:15 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I wouldn't. I'd get a liquid form. It depends what the powder is that it's in with. It might not dissolve well and it would probably clog up your sprayer. Buying the liquid form of the ant or termite version works out a lot cheaper than Coopex as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:27 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ok thanks for that. Would it be toxic to use as a powder on floors etc for the area that will not suit the spray in terms of the chooks / ducks. I can use it as a powder for those areas if it isnt toxic couldnt i? I also have some ant trails in a couple pens that i was thinking id use this on if it is ok, id like to try get rid of them as i have some broodies that have just sat close to the trails, dont want them getting into the nests when the chicks arrive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:43 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It's the same product, so at an appropriate rate it would be fine. Just be aware that the powder is a lot stronger than the spray which has been diluted. It's the same concentration as my undiluted product and I wouldn't put that in the coop as it is. The spray is 0.1% - 1:1000, and your powder is 10% - 1:10. I wouldn't use very much of it. Especially avoid food and water containers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ok looks like its time to need this termite spray mixed up.
I have bought some that chicken 07 has recconmended instead of my usual product of coopex, its shuld work out cheaper this way.
I have just discovered that my pure silkies pen rooster is crawling with lice, yet i did moxi round as well as the follow up dose start of Dec, he has a heap of egg sacks attached so hes got a nice load by the looks. I have 5 broodies in that pen so are thinking i may go down when the sun shades over and give them all a dip. Is it ok to mix up and just dip them through the mixture instead of actually spraying them? i use to just dip them via the coopex so assuming i can do the same here. I dont usually put them under their heads under the water though i just give them a splash over with my hand on the head. Its 45 degrees here today so thining this just may give them a cool down as well if it aint to much for them to handle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I usually spray, not dip, so I'll quote Sandy's advice on this one. I note that Sandy recommends the same rate for the birds as she recommends for the coop. Whereas, the msu site halves the amount for use on birds. I've also noticed the Avian Liquidator is stronger than the msu rate - I'll leave that one to the individual. It seems that mixing it up stronger is not going to kill the birds. Adding the soap flakes is a good idea if dipping.

Quote:
Permethrin Solution is used in the following three situations:

1. To dip birds to eradicate lice - Diluting 10 ml Permethrin to 1 litre of water.
Use warm water and treat the birds in the morning of a warm day.
Add half a teaspoon of soap flakes to act as a wetting agent.
Immerse birds or spray the birds up to their neck, fanning their wings and tail through the solution.
Momentarily dip their heads below the surface.
Addition of the wetting agent enables complete penetration by the Permethrin.
The birds look normal 2 hours after dipping.
Permethrin does not remove the birds' bloom and has a residual effect for up to 4 months.

2.To spray the coop- This is done in conjunction with Prazivet treatment to kill any insects in the loft that might be carrying any tapeworm and also to eradicate mites in conjunction with a Moxidectin treatment.
It is also done before breeding to eliminate mosquitoes, flies and, in particular, red mite.
Birds are removed from the section, which is then scraped clean.
Permethrin is diluted 10 ml to 1 litre and sprayed onto the clean scraped surfaces and into any nooks and crannies.
The coop will dry in 1 - 2 hours and the birds allowed to re-enter.

3. To treat individual birds - It is a good idea to have some diluted Permethrin mixed and ready to use in a spray bottle.
Any introduced birds can be quickly sprayed before being placed in the coop . The usual dilution used is also 10 ml to 1 litre.

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1304

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:11 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have done my pure silkie pen tonight, a few are looking very sorry for themselves and not at all happy with me. I thought id just try what you use for a spray which i mixed up 10L water to 50ml of termite and ant mixture. I figured if you use it as a spray it should work as good since i was drenching the chooks in it. I found that as soon as the chook was wet in it that the lice dropped like lead. So the 5ml per Lworks well, no need for the 10ml at all. Id be concerned that the 10ml would be to strong, the smell of the 5ml per L was bad enough fopr me im feeling not the best after doing it but unsure if its from the spray or the heat being 45degrees for the past 3 days does that to you to.

Post subject: Re: dipping chooks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thankyou so much for that! This kind of information is so valuable to beginners like me.
Kathy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a withholding period for eggs after they are sprayed with the pyrethrum spray?

My chooks have some sort of mite or lice running around on them and need to be sprayed so i'll pick some up from work tonight.

I'm going to give them the spray tomorrow.

Would speading garden lime over the ground be of any benefit to the ones outside the coop?

Thanks
Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:34 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

koknco wrote:
I have done my pure silkie pen tonight, a few are looking very sorry for themselves and not at all happy with me. I thought id just try what you use for a spray which i mixed up 10L water to 50ml of termite and ant mixture. I figured if you use it as a spray it should work as good since i was drenching the chooks in it. I found that as soon as the chook was wet in it that the lice dropped like lead. So the 5ml per Lworks well, no need for the 10ml at all. Id be concerned that the 10ml would be to strong, the smell of the 5ml per L was bad enough fopr me im feeling not the best after doing it but unsure if its from the spray or the heat being 45degrees for the past 3 days does that to you to.

I think you're right about the dilution. Since then I have also stuck to the 5ml/L option as it works fine. It has never made me or any birds sick, but it works very effectively at that rate.

I'm not aware of any witholding requirement when using permethrin.