Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Re: Permethrin Spray Rates

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:06 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi Paula. I think Avian Insect Liquidator is probably better, but yes, it is expensive. I use the product above.

I spray or dip them once or twice a year approximately. I always do it when I wash them before I show them. Apart from that I usually treat the whole lot, pens etc once a year when the parasites get bad - usually in Summer. Other than that I just treat those that need it.

Quote:
you can dilute to also spray your coop?

Yes, you can.

Quote:
I have huge ant mounds outside in the yard where my pekins free range they are destroying the ground in places but I have not used chemicals of any sort because of the chooks. What dilution is for that?

I would use the same dilution. I find that the weaker dilution seems adequate for all the treatments. These days I do everything at 5ml/L. I don't worry about the stronger dilution as I find I don't need it. There's always the option there to double the strength for the coop if it's necessary.

Permethrin is used on the ground underneath beehives actually to control the small hive beetle. You just don't want it going into any waterways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:16 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Cathy, I have been mixing my David Gray's Household situations 250ml in 10L, after reading your posting I think I am mixing it at 2and1/2 times stronger then I should be, is that right?
Thanking you Ron.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:39 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes, it seems that you are using it at a stronger rate than I use it Ron. However, it's off-label so you're not going to find label directions. In the first post I explained where I got my guide from and I've just gone from there.

I originally decided to use 5ml/L for dipping birds and 10ml/L for spraying houses. If you go with the second figure - 10ml/L, that would be equivalent to 100ml/10L. Yes, you're doing 2 and a half times stronger than that.

I have found that it works at a lower strength for my needs here. If I had persistent mites I might consider doing it differently.

Obviously you haven't done any damage there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:43 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Cathy, I have been doing it at the stronger rate for some time now, but I will cut it back next time.
Thanks Ron.

Post subject: Re: dipping chooks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:25 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Last time we went to Bunnings that product was not available but we found another with the same ingredient at the same concentration.

It is called Chemspray and cost $21.50. Once again, this is off-label I'm only saying what we do. Others can make their own choices. We have found this option economical and safe. We started using it after keeping bees and noticing that it was recommended for the ground under beehives despite being off-label for that use also.

The label says mix it 25ml to a litre, but we think that's too strong. It is the same strength as the earlier product so we will mix 5ml to a litre for spraying birds and 10ml to a litre for coops.

Note that if you want a spray or dip that is good and labelled for birds, Avian Insection Liquidator is excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This is GOLD to me. In the past weeks, I'd noticed my Araucanas seem to have lost weight. No eggs from my Araucana. However, my leghorn still laying as usual. Today my Araucana hen resumed laying for the first time after 2+ weeks break. I'd suspected they either have mites or lice. Today, I picked up the egg and something crawled onto my arm (lice?). Bunnings here I come for chemspray!

Chicken07,
Apart from spray the chickens with chemspray, any other (liquid) products we can use to bath them in?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I bath them or dip them in the same solution. 5ml to 1 litre. I mix it up in a big bucket near the pen and put the chooks in it one at a time. A small squirt of detergent in the water helps wet the feathers. Give them a bit of swish around in it. Don't rinse it off and don't dunk their head under. Do it on a warm day and they dry off in the sun. I've never lost a chook by doing it and I recon they love getting rid of those bugs immediately.

We spray whatever's left over in the bucket around the coops so none of it gets wasted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:19 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

asil wrote:
This is GOLD to me.

And to me too!!

My best broody Blanche was nearly dead after a vicious attack of red mite.

I followed Chicken07's instructions and here she is today up and about and improving.

:th :th :th

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:41 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I splash it on their heads for stick fast fleas as well,
but I am useing swipe a fly in a spray bottle and spray just the heads for fleas.
catching the chooks is the problem tho. :think:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:39 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have a product manufactured by the brand SureFire. It has 15g/L s alpa-cypermethrin.

Is this product similar to cypermethrin?

Kiew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:21 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
catching the chooks is the problem tho. :think:

Shouldn't be if you take them from the roost at night. If you don't want to do the procedure right away, confine them and let them out one by one as you do them the next morning. I always do my wing-clipping, leg-banding and other routine things requiring handling of birds, in the evening. :-) You need a light source though at the chookshed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

konopiste,
Holly cow! The poor chicken :upset:

chicken07,
I'd looked around Bunnings, couldn't find any products you listed. I bought this instead (see below), the closest I could find. It costs around $11.68/bottle. It says 100mL will make 4L (25mL for every litre). However, like you suggested I'll make 10L out of this 100mL to bath the chickens and spray the coop with the left over. I'll repeat the process in a week time.

I don't know what it is but when I picked up the egg from the nest this morning it crawled onto my arm. Thinking about it, it looks like fleas to me. I don't know where else it got onto me but I feel like a bit itchy every where :upset:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yep, same ingredient, same concentration.

Use 5ml per Litre (not 10ml/L) for dipping or bathing.

It sounds like you've got a bad infestation of lice or mites. I think we had feather mites recently because I could feel creepies on me but couldn't see them. We sprayed everything.

Remove all the litter before you spray out the coop. Burn it or dispose of it, don't dump it nearby so it can reinfest your area.

QChick wrote:
I have a product manufactured by the brand SureFire. It has 15g/L s alpa-cypermethrin.

Is this product similar to cypermethrin?

It's another pyrethroid and will be similar. I don't know if the same strength is appropriate or not. Hopefully someone else will know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:48 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Chicken07 wrote:
Remove all the litter before you spray out the coop. Burn it or dispose of it, don't dump it nearby so it can reinfest your area.

Litter? You mean including bedding? Hmmm, I just dumped around 1 cubic metre of cut lawn in the coop as bedding :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I am by no means an expert, i've only just started learning but I use coopex 25:75 as I find it cheaper than everything else, it can be found in lots of hardware's or rural suppliers and I make it up as i need it using the attached formula.

oh, and if anything is wrong with my calcs please feel free to take the red pen to it...

Half a teaspoon of coopex 25:75 (250g/kg) into 1 litre of water

Note: The formula i use is in US gallons, 1 litre = 0.264 gal (US) and I make it to approximately 0.05% strength for spraying directly onto the birds.

0.264 gal X 0.05% spray X 8.345 = 0.110154
0.110154 / 25 = 0.00440616
0.00440616 X 16 =0.07049856 oz
0.0705 oz = 0.35 teaspoons

Then I bodge it all by rounding up to a half teaspoon, 'cos thats the only teaspoon measure I could pinch from my wife. :rofl:

I'm going to break the cycle with a spinosad spray next time. 1ml of extinosad eliminator into 1 litre of water

some links to sites that people might find interesting;
Alabama Co-op
Ohio state Uni
Mississippi state Uni
Mod: link has been removed as it was not working

and the one that i have used for the formula
AgriLIFE

Attachments:
calcs.JPG
calcs.JPG [ 125.4 KiB | Viewed 1637 times ]

a slight whistling sound accompanies the fall of the axe before splitting the wood. startled my girls look at me with fear in their tiny chicken eyes. "It's not for you... yet" I cry and laugh at them like a chook

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next