Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Re: Permethrin Spray Rates

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

My husband bought Malaban Wash from a produce store to help me control insects biting our chickens.
It hsas 200g/L maldison. It cost $20 for 250 ml. The instruction fro spraying is 15 ml/L.

Has anyone use this product?

I also found in our cupboard a bottle( with spraying nozle) of Gard&Grow ready to use chemical. Its active ingredients are 3g/L permethrin 25:75. Should I dilute it any further to dip the chickens?

My chickens free range in an area of 100 square metre. Do I spray the entire area as well as their coop?

Kiew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Does the above treat for lice as well or just mites? I plan to do this tomorrow as my poor girls have been attacked by lice, I can see the little things crawling all over :aaah!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:03 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Yes all insects it comes in contact with,
the permethrin is a safer option than maldison but it does work we used it on dogs with mange caught from foxes.
cackles wrote:
Quote:
catching the chooks is the problem tho. :think:

Shouldn't be if you take them from the roost at night. If you don't want to do the procedure right away, confine them and let them out one by one as you do them the next morning. I always do my wing-clipping, leg-banding and other routine things requiring handling of birds, in the evening. :-) You need a light source though at the chookshed.

Mine like sleeping in the trees 20 feet up in the air. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

So I used this formula on my girl who has lice, how do I know if it has worked? I can still see the eggs (I think) wrapped around the shaft of the feather, but they are really hard to get off- how do I know if they are still a problem? should it come off?
Can I dip her in it again?

:th

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:54 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Yes I have little brown lice? running over the coop area and presumably on the girls too :-( I am off to shops tomorrow so hopefully can get advice on what to buy and do :aaah!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:33 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Chookymummy yes, what you can see around the shafts of the feathers are the eggs. Dipping won't kill the eggs but as permethrin has a residual effect it might kill any new lice that hatch from the eggs. If you want to make sure you got rid of them you can also dip them again after 7 - 10 days to kill any newly hatched lice before they can reproduce again.

There is a lot more information on treating lice and mites in the A-Z sticky on top of the health section, if you want to know more ;-) .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks nostress, I have read the info on here but just wasn't sure about this dip in method.
Will do again in a week

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:07 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I'll keep this for later use.. . :th

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:33 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I just thought I would mention a thought I had but rejected recently. I noticed that Permatrol might have been another economical possibility for permethrin spray. It's for dogs and horses and is labelled as containing 40g/L permethrin. That is four times the strength of David Gray's ant and termite spray. I've seen it for as low as $16.40 for 250 ml, that's pretty cheap considering it will go four times further.

On looking into it, I noticed that it not only contained permethrin which I know about and am comfortable to use, but it also contains a solvent called diethylene glycol monobutyl ether. I see that it's approved by the APVMA for use in a number of preparations for dogs, horses and cattle. The labels on those solutions say to use gloves, wash after use, not for horses that are food etc.

In the end I decided I'd rather pay four times the price for the David Gray's termite product and not have the extra chemical as I couldn't use something I didn't know a lot more about. Someone else may know more about it, but that was my conclusion. I'm not frightened to use something off-label but I need to be well-informed and happy about it first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:57 pm 

Hi,
We have treated our chickens orally for mites, however after 2 days can still see them stuck to their faces, particularly around their eyes. Bought some david grays solution to dilute and spray the birds... is it safe to spray around their heads?

If not, can anyone recommend how to get rid of the mites around their eyes?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:57 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Usually, when I dip birds in permethrin, I dab my fingers in some of the dipping solution and give them a little head massage with the wet fingers.

Don't attempt to submerge their head and make sure it doesn't get into their eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:04 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

You really want to get it in an opaque bottle and keep it in the dark as sunlight degrades permethrin.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Where are you? You could be looking at stickfast fleas. Nelly's the one with experience treating those nasties.

Have a look at this topic and see if you are seeing anything like it. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7988623

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:17 pm 

That's the bastards.

Thanks! At least now we know the culprits we can do more about it.

Seems odd they are well into 3 of the chooks in one pen, and virtually no where else (just the odd one or two on the layers - which seem to have been taken care of by the ivermectin)

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:23 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I found this - I understand to make 10ml to 1 litre
how do you make the water warm as how much warm water
I found to put 50ml to 10L water
and what is soap flakes and what is this for.

Permethrin Solution is used in the following three situations:

1. To dip birds to eradicate lice - Diluting 10 ml Permethrin to 1 litre of water.
Use warm water and treat the birds in the morning of a warm day.
Add half a teaspoon of soap flakes to act as a wetting agent.
Immerse birds or spray the birds up to their neck, fanning their wings and tail through the solution.
Momentarily dip their heads below the surface.
Addition of the wetting agent enables complete penetration by the Permethrin.
The birds look normal 2 hours after dipping.
Permethrin does not remove the birds' bloom and has a residual effect for up to 4 months.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next