Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Wyandotte pullet - unexplained sudden death

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well i'm puzzled. My silver penciled wyandotte pictured in this thread just died. Literally. In my arms.

As i mentioned earlier she was a very quiet girl, never moving when i approached. Looking back over the weeks events i'm wondering if she was partly blind in one eye. Another thought had been was she suffering cocci? As a precautionary step i made up ricketts diet for her this week, and attended to her more often than what should be necessary for a happy healthy bird. She ate from my fingers the ricketts meal when i placed near her mouth.

This afternoon i thought i'd let her out of her pen to have a feed on grass etc.I carried her to the grass. She slowly moved but then got pecked by an older hen and ran off. As she did so, she side swipped iron sheeting part of the pen. This is when i thought i have to have a good look at her eyes. One seemed cloudy. When i picked her up she struggled as if to say "let me down" but now i think it was her last stuggle at life. When i got inside and grabbed the torch she jerked her head forward in a motion that looked as if she was chocking. A couple of these jerks then she closed her eyes and died.

I don't know what to think.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:37 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

The above post was originally in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7985564

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I'm so sorry you experienced that. Poor chookie :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Oh dear - so sorry.

Sudden deaths are almost impossible without a post mortem and even thn it can be inconclusive. There many things it could have been. On a death certificate for humans quite often the cause of death is written as Ventricular fibrillation. This simply means that the heart stopped beating rhythmically and as a result death occured. Usually ther is an underlying cause either known or unknown.

Chooks and other animals are no different. What ever it was - the problem was greater than the bird could cope with. Maybe a heart attack ??

Sorry again but I dont think any one has a clear answer on sudden death without quite some
investigation.

Mike