Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Treating with coccivet

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Treating with coccivet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:15 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
Yesterday i noticed that one of my little astrolorp chicks (6 weeks) had blood in her poo. So I went to the produce store and brought coccivet. When I was talking to the lady in the produce store i asked her if coccivet was ok for poultry she said yes and asked why. I told her that there was blood in there poo and she said are they on chick starter and i said yes. But they also eat grains which they have been eating since they were about 3-4 weeks old. She said that they should'nt have grains and that is probably what is causing the blood because their stomachs cant handle it. So my questions are, are they allowed grain now and also why cant you eat the eggs when they are on the coccivet stuff or when they are on the chick starter as my older girls sometimes eat it.

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:36 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi

There a couple of answers to this.

Chickens at six weeks of age are rapidly growing and need a high protein diet. Its not so much that they can't digest grains - they can - but it detracts from the high protein levels in the chicken starter.

Just about all chicken starters contain an inhibitor to control coccidiosis. Its there to stop the numbers building up and to allow the chickens to develop an immunity over time to the coccidiosis. Whilst it kills some cocci it mainly deprives the cocci of nutrients they need to reproduce. Commonly its amprolium which is what coccivet contains.

A substance called Sulphaquin is a coccidiosis killer - it kills the cocci outright - its often a better choice for chickens that have a coccidiosis outbreak.

Another point is that its not a good idea to have chickens and adult chooks in the same pen. The other birds will bully them and chase them away from food sources. So the chiockens again may be getting less of the nutrients that they need setting up a "stress" factor that will encourage things like respiratory infections and coccidiosis.

Lastly - with holding - normally laying hens dont get the chance to eat medicated chicken starter feed (mother hens may be an exception) so its often not a problem. However, manufacturers do put with holding periods on their products for the one in a million chance that somebody may have a reaction to the small amount of amprolium (and other substances) that MAY be in the egg.

Personally I would eat the eggs but its your choice. If you choose not to eat the eggs then simply boil the eggs - mash them up shell and all and feed them back to the chooks.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:58 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thankyou Mike for the reply. Yeh I thought it would be a waste of good eggs if you could'nt eat them. I was eating them anyway but i thought i best be sure to ask people who know what they are talking about. I will try to put the chicks into a seprate cage and see how they go. I was worried when the lady said about the grains but you have put my mind at ease.

Thanks again for the useful information

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:26 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

chickadee25 wrote:
Hi,
Yesterday i noticed that one of my little astrolorp chicks (6 weeks) had blood in her poo. So I went to the produce store and brought coccivet. When I was talking to the lady in the produce store i asked her if coccivet was ok for poultry she said yes and asked why. I told her that there was blood in there poo and she said are they on chick starter and i said yes. But they also eat grains which they have been eating since they were about 3-4 weeks old. She said that they should'nt have grains and that is probably what is causing the blood because their stomachs cant handle it. So my questions are, are they allowed grain now and also why cant you eat the eggs when they are on the coccivet stuff or when they are on the chick starter as my older girls sometimes eat it.

Thank you

Hi Chickadee,

I am in brisbane too.. can you please tell me which produce store you go to.. I think it is very hard to find good produce store in Brisbane.

Thanks in advance..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Jojo, I go to the Capalaba produce shop. I got my chickens from the Brookfield produce & pet pavillion that was a good store also. They seemed like they know what they are talking about but I also like to come on here and ask people their opionions. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:01 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I had two of my favorite chicks infected with cocci. They had not much appetite and did not move around too much. They were able to climb up their beds though. I start to treat them with coccivet that I bought from the local store. After 24 hours into the treatment they showed signs of improvement. I got exited. After one week of treating them as per the instruction on the label i stopped to give them coccivet. Two days after the treatment ended the chicks got sicker then ever. They rapidly lost weight and appetite. Soon after they died.
Does anyone have any idea of why the chicks get worse after the treatment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:13 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Coccidiosis needs to be treated aggressively as soon as the first symptoms appear. If you treat it in time, recovery is generally successful however if internal damage has already occurred the birds may not survive or will always fail to thrive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:29 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

chicks as pets wrote:
... Does anyone have any idea of why the chicks get worse after the treatment

I always take advice and explanation from the Chookyinoz posts (see the one above) and the search button will always find them. Above clearly states that amprolium is only an inhibitor: once cocci takes effect better to use something that actually kills it. Suggests Sulphaquin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:57 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

sue55 wrote:
Coccidiosis needs to be treated aggressively as soon as the first symptoms appear. If you treat it in time, recovery is generally successful however if internal damage has already occurred the birds may not survive or will always fail to thrive.

Yes Something I didn't think of. Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:02 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

PossumCorner wrote:
chicks as pets wrote:
... Does anyone have any idea of why the chicks get worse after the treatment

I always take advice and explanation from the Chookyinoz posts (see the one above) and the search button will always find them. Above clearly states that amprolium is only an inhibitor: once cocci takes effect better to use something that actually kills it. Suggests Sulphaquin.

Useful Thank you